What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ok, here is where to complain about moderation  (Read 6728 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Ok, here is where to complain about moderation
« on: January 09, 2005, 10:04:42 am »
This thread is clearly not hot tub related, but its about the day to day use of the forum. So feel free.

I did delete the entire thread "off topic" and locked it.  I thought the message I left behind made clear my reasons why, but didn't leave room for comment.

First of all, let me say, had the head moderator gotten to it, he would have done the same thing, so it was going to happen anyway.

I don't have much problem with off topic posts and have been known to steer subjects that way.   Some of these off topic posts are endearing in a way and help define some of the personalites I enjoy conversing with here. However, this thread quickly was headed into a war debate.  I participate in a lot of forums on the internet related to important topics to me and on almost everyone you can't post a message with out someone Blaming Bush, the liberals, the right or left wing, or the bible thumpers. It has ruined so many good forums, I didn't want to see it here.

I put what I thought was an impartial stop to it. Again, the head moderator would have just killed the entire thread without explanation.  

I hope nobody thinks I did anything to Chas to reset his post count to zero thinking I was jealous of his post count.  I did just the other day make a joke that "That will cost you 100 posts"

We are clearly, at least if your believe the internet, a country divided, with our Canadian friends having their opinions too.  I really don't want to see that kind of debate here.

Ok, let me have it, I can take it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 10:07:18 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Ok, here is where to complain about moderation
« on: January 09, 2005, 10:04:42 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
No complaints from me
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 10:10:46 am »
I reset my own count. I wanted Bill to have at least one thing better than me...

Life is very busy right now, so I'll be taking a little break.

You know life: that other thing you do besides posting here?

;) ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Ok, here is where to complain about moderation
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 10:13:43 am »
For me, it might be a place to escape life for a while.  Dinner is on me the next time I find myself in Socal.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 10:13:59 am »
Just don't forget...you are my favorite Southern California HotSprings Dealer!!!  :-*
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 11:11:48 am »
Terminator,

The two topics in any social setting (which this board is) that are the most personal and, as a result of being the most personal, are the most volatile are politics and religion.  I was not privvy to the deleted post and don't care to be except for the fact that it was posted by Chas whose opinions and philosophies I greatly respect.  So, Terminator, if this post was either political and/or religious in nature, I applaud your actions.....and keep up the good work.

As an aside, I am a founding member of our local windsurfing club that was formed in 1987 and continues to be very strong today.  One of the reasons we have survived the test of time is the no politics/no religion directive to which we cling.....definitely the best.....at least for us.....8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 11:15:24 am »
I don't understand why CHas would start a new account. He seemed driven by and proud of his post count.

If he needs to take a break, so be it. Chas, your wit and knowledge will be missed.

As far as the deleted thread, I have to agree with Bill. If this offends anyone, well so be it, that is not my intention.

I was upset in the fall when election opinions were being expressed. I have strong political views myself, none of you will know them. That is the way it should be.  

Respectfully;

Jeff
aka HotTubMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 12:02:05 pm »
Bill,

I read some of the comments and don't know when the plug was pulled but I don't have any problems with pulling a plug ... sometimes it needs to be done IMO.

Vinny

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 12:21:06 pm »
My only suggestion would be to break this forum in sections. Eg. watercare, purchasing, sales & marketing, etc. and have an "open" section for posts not pertaining to spas directly.

That said, I feel Chas had every right to post what he did. It started out to be harmless until it went too far. That's unfortunate and I feel bad for Chas. :-/

Steve

P.S. For the record, you do a fine job Bill even though you clear our post counts once we start getting up there! ;D

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 01:33:51 pm »
Well as usuall, I seemed to have missed the whole thing.

From the bits I've gathered I agree with your decision to delete the posts Bill.

I've enjoyed the online friendships, as well as the helpfulness of the group. Not to mention the humor!

With all the different spa brands that we beleve in and the different technology that they use, I think we have enough to discuss.

Like windsurfdog, I've been in a cross country ski club for many years and we never discuss religion or politics, not even on the state or city level.

I hope Chas joins us soon. His industry knowlege and humor helps make the board what it is...

Spahappy :D

steve771

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 02:19:30 pm »
If I recall correctly, Chas' initial post wasn't bad at all, it was the subsequent derailment into a political commentary that caused the problem, yes?  At some point, I was about to jump into the fray with my comments and then thought better of it (due to the topics of these forums, not because I'm shy about expressing opinions).  I have no problem with the moderation on these boards, they have a stated purpose and when we stray too far from those it should be moderated.  Thanks for taking the time to do so.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 04:22:40 pm »
My only suggestion would be to break this forum in sections. Eg. watercare, purchasing, sales & marketing, etc. and have an "open" section for posts not pertaining to spas directly.

That said, I feel Chas had every right to post what he did. It started out to be harmless until it went too far. That's unfortunate and I feel bad for Chas. :-/

Steve

P.S. For the record, you do a fine job Bill even though you clear our post counts once we start getting up there! ;D

I wasn't around for this and don't really know what happened but guessing as much as I can I would probably agree with Steve all the way.

I think that Chas is a viable part of this forum and we would lose a wealth of knowledge, humor, experience and class without one of our greatest ambassadors posting here on a daily basis...

If anyone has earned the right to be given amnesty over a situation gone awry it would be Chas, he has probably put more effort forth to help others without regard for personal gain than anyone…

salesdvl

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 12:52:33 am »
Dang..... A full fledged scandel and I missed it.

I just want everyone to know that I am now & always have been firmly "on the fence" with regard to religion & politics.  ;D

With respect to being "moderated".  I must admit that I was a little bothered by the last long speech posted by the supreme moderator( the one that seemed to stay at the top for weeks), which said that we must stay on topic.  I believe that there are times when it should be OK for us to deviate and inject our personality and experiences even if they aren't 7.2-7.6.

I realize the primary reason for this site is to offer help to those that are looking for it, but I also come here to interact with fellow industry people and consider it a nice escape from the uptight world that surrounds us.  

Thank you for your attention, I shall now be stepping down from my soapbox and returning to the fence.

ps... thanks for giving us a thread to voice on.

Measure once, cut twice.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 09:07:18 am »
The way I see it, is even though the moderators say to stay on topic, they allow us to veer off a bit as long as it doesn't get too far out of hand.  
I equate it to the speed limit.  Most cops allow us a few MPH over the limit before we get stopped, but the have the right to enforce at 1 mph over if they choose.

I also read a few unmoderated newsgroups, which are about 80% flame wars and off topic.  

That said, I missed the controversy, and don't care to know what the fuss was all about.

Brewman  
Brewman

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 07:31:03 pm »
I missed all the "fun" 'cause of our blackout - though I support the result. well done Bill - thanks.
e

Gerry11

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 11:57:55 am »
Not sure if this is just a thing with you guys in America, but in the UK we believe in freedom of speech. I belong to numerous forums where it is unheard of for a post to be deleted unless it breaks the law or is abusive to somebody.
Certainly over here a board would soon lose it's contributors if it deleted or locked topics just because somebody wanted to bring up a subject such as politics or religion.
Personally, I think the moderator is too quick to act, but then maybe he/she does not mind losing contributors (Chas being a good example). If this is the case, then whatsthebest-hottub.com will probably not survive longer term.
Anyway, my view is, if it is not abusive, does not break the law, then let it go. After all moderators are there to serve the community, not play God.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 11:57:55 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42