What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera vs Hot Springs  (Read 5201 times)

TC

Caldera vs Hot Springs
« on: January 08, 2005, 07:53:12 pm »
This is my first post and wish I would have found this website a few weeks ago.   Thanks Lori!!  Anyway, my wife and I decided to get a hot tub after a number of hip and back surgerys.  We first started out intending to buy a Thermospa and that was not a good experience so I started some intense research and went to the local Watson's dealer here in Cincinnati searching for a Hot Springs tub.  After looking at a number of very nice tubs the salesman directed us to a Caldera spa.  He told me the Caldera is the same as the Hot Springs.  Is that correct?  Is there anyone out there that has a recommendation for me?  This hasn't been a "kind" experience as I've never seen an industry quite like this.  Hot tub buying is not easy if you're looking for consistant opinions.  Anyway, any info you can give me is certainly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

TC

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera vs Hot Springs
« on: January 08, 2005, 07:53:12 pm »

mhraracing

Re: Caldera vs Hot Springs
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 08:02:42 pm »
You came to the right place. The people on the board  can proivde you with plenty of information - and if you do a few searches, many of your questions may have already been answered. One of the main benefits of this site is that you will find representation from all the main Spa manufatureres in one single place.

As for Caldera Vs HS - they are sister spas to each other and made by the same manufacturer Watkins.

We personally went with the Caldera over the HS - for the air system and the footbump in the floor - but that was out own personal feelings - as for you..... a wet test is a MUST !!
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 09:53:09 pm »
He told me the Caldera is the same as the Hot Springs.  Is that correct?
No. They are owned by the same company, and some of the work is done in the same building, but they are very different tubs. The main differences will come to light during a wet test, and I personally don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Is there anyone out there that has a recommendation for me?
Yes - take you time, read warranties, and wet test.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 10:12:24 pm »
Hi TC!

Glad it was Caldera!  I really don't think you can go wrong with either one!

Wet testing is truly key!

;)
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

jasolution

• Caldera Niagara -- Woo hoo!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 06:07:23 pm »
I share your sentiments about a hot tub purchase being a difficult research project. We purchased a tub in August (ended up choosing a Caldera Niagara Utopia) after spending approximately 3 months researching and wet testing. We narrowed our choices to tubs by Caldera, Hot Springs and Marquis. We ruled a few brands out due solely to poor salesmanship at the dealer. The three we chose all were carried by polite, knowledgeable and accommodating dealers.

Prior to wet testing, we were dead set on purchasing the Hot Springs Vista, with the Marquis Reward as our runner up. After finding this site, we heeded the advice of others and requested wet tests for all of the tubs we were interested in.

My wife and I learned immediately that neither of us cared for the lounger in the HS Vista, though the other seats were decent. We tried the HS Grandee too, but it just didn't do much for us. We then headed down the road to the Marquis dealer and tried the Reward and Euphoria. Both were nice spas, though we were only comfortable in one or two of the seats in each.

Our last visit of the afternoon was to the Caldera dealer, where we tried the Aspire, Geneva and Niagara. Again, we did not care for the lounger in the Geneva, so we ruled out that one quickly. We then moved to the Niagara and were pleasantly surprised to learn that we enjoyed every seat in the tub, even the "psuedo-lounger". Our only complaint was that the controls had rather odd placement (the controls to change some seats are on the opposite side from the seat). We then moved to the Aspire and really enjoyed that tub, and particularly liked the built-in stereo system. Unfortunately, the Aspire is a smaller tub than the Niagara, so the foot well was on the verge of being cramped with 4 people in it (we took two friends along for their opinions and to see what the tubs would be like with more than two people in them).

Since the Aspire and Niagara were equally comfortable tubs, we ended up choosing the Niagara primarily because it was larger. Since we did like the music while soaking, I installed a wireless outdoor audio system to provide "soaking music."

After 4+ months of owning the Niagara, we're still 100% satisfied with the tub and are confident we made the best decision. For what it's worth, after wet testing, our second choice would've been the Marquis Reward, especially since its price was almost $2000 lower.

If you're considering doing your own wiring, then you'll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to wire the Caldera. If memory serves, it took about 45 minutes to do the wiring, with the majority of that time dedicated to pulling wire from the main panel to the GFCI sub. I'd imagine that the Hot Spring would be very similar though, given the fact they're both made by Watkins.

The best advice anyone can give (IMO), is to wet test and if you'll frequently have guests in your tub, take a couple of extra people with you so you can see how the tub seats 4+ people.

Jason

TC

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 07:29:07 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  We ordered the Elation from Caldera this afternoon.  Quite honestly, I'm glad it's over.  We looked at a number of spas and didn't realize what we had gotten ourselves into.  We originally liked the Thermospa and set an appointment with a salesman to come over.  We were ready to purchase the spa we wanted that night.  The salesman was an hour late and no one called.  Once he got there he didn't want to stay as he had "another appointment".  I had one of those bad feelings and then started doing my research on the internet.  I had a hard time finding those who didn't have customer service issues with the Thermospa.  I have called their main office and written a letter to their President and CEO about our experience.  We then went to our local dealer who had alot of different tubs and we really liked the wet test, size and reputation.  Now only if it lives up to it!!!!  Anyway, thanks to all who responded as these messages really helped me in our decision.  I'll continue to monitor this website as it is extremely helpful.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 07:29:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42