What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Hot Tub Shopper  (Read 7663 times)

MellowBeerMan

New Hot Tub Shopper
« on: January 02, 2005, 12:10:53 pm »
Ok fella's read some post on this board, obviously there are hot tub dealers on here.

I just moved to Georgia, near south Atlanta, I plan on expanding my deck and putting in a hot tub. I would like the Hot tub "flush" with the Deck,  I am hoping to accomplish it this summer, but I would like to start my reserach now.

Basically we will be using it as a self relaxer for me and my wife, but we have a great neighborhood and will be entertaining alot, so I am thinking bigger the better for when I have company.

I can build the deck myself, but will want a good dealer when I decide on a tub. I am extremely picky and will not put up with any bull crap, basically if you steer me wrong once I will never ever be back in your store. Just ask Circuit city. Customer service is the key with me and a high quality tub.

So seeing ten million tubs on the web, I want to narrow down my choices, it will be in Georgia so the Tempature is never to low for serious cold weather, but will have plenty of insects to deal with. I already have a inground pool so I know how to deal with chemicals, but rather make it smell nicer  then cholrine smelling tub. The usage will be often almost daily and will have parties often. Saftey will be an issue as well, for I ahve 3 children under 6 and plenty of children in the neighbor hood.

I am totally open to suggestions and recommendations, so if you were me the firt time shopper, and these were your requirements, what brand would you keep high on the list and which ones would you erase immediately?

1. Customer service
2. High Quality
3. Safety
4. easy maintence
5. comfort
6 good warranties
7. cost effectiveness as to utility bills.

If you are a dealer replying, please list your company name and products.

Thank you all and I appreciate your help.

Hot Tub Forum

New Hot Tub Shopper
« on: January 02, 2005, 12:10:53 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: New Hot Tub Shopper
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 12:42:10 pm »
Steve Russell....Hydropool dealer rep ...
....www.hydropoolhottubs.com....Location - Alberta Canada....Postal Code...T6J 5S1... Username...Steve  ;D

Your expectations are similar to most. You just want a good product for the money and to be looked after during and after the sale.

Rather than me listing a bunch of manufacturers, I suggest you go to the review section above and start there. It's pointless for each one of us to suggest our brands just to promote them indiscriminately and without knowing you better and your wants and needs. We can all give our top choices but that in no way makes it the spa for you. There's a tonne of information on this site and others so you have your work cut out for you! ;)

On the home page here, there's some very good information on what to look for during the shopping process.

What dealers do you have in your area?

My only suggestion would be reconsider your application of sinking it down flush to the deck. IMO, it is a poor choice for many reasons including safety.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 12:43:45 pm by Steve »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 12:54:24 pm »
Hi, just a user, but this is what I did when I first began my search!  In fact, you are a little ahead of me, I didn't find this board until after I had started looking.

Open up the phone book and start looking there.  Look at the different dealers and see what they offer.

I did not have alot of brands available in my area.  That is why I started with the phone book.  I started calling around and asking pricing.  Understand, you may not get the best price this way, but it will give you an idea of a budget.  Then I started visiting the various dealers.  I also asked lots of questions, on the phone and while I visited.  That gave me a feel for the integrity of the dealers.

Steve has given great advice about checking out the review section.  (I know he is a dealer, but he gives great advice!)  You will get great advice from the dealers who frequent this site.  They really are here to help!

Good luck!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

MellowBeerMan

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 12:56:36 pm »
Thanks for replying steve...lol at your clarification of title...lol (go NJ Devils! (when they start playing again!  >:(  )

"My only suggestion would be reconsider your application of sinking it down flush to the deck. IMO, it is a poor choice for many reasons including safety"

What would be the best way for me to have my tub? I will ahve a deck around it, so give me a good idea. thanks

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 03:56:52 pm »
I plan in having the tub raised about 18 inches above the deck surface.  I was told by a dealer this makes it easier to get in and out of.

And the other thing to plan for is access to the equipment cabinet, typically it's below the main controller. See my post "Questions about designing a deck to hold tub" for the help I got!

What Steve and Lori said is true. I will say, search as many dealers as you can. From my experience shopping in NJ prices seen on line for tubs wasn't what I saw and paid, so if you see a tub, like it and read that someone paid $800 less than the price - it doesn't mean anything.

Good Luck and have fun shopping!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 04:00:05 pm by Vinny »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 08:04:50 pm »
I would suggest you do 2 things:

1) Go to the sites of Hot Spring, Caldera, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis and D1 and find their local dealer on their site so you can visit. There are others but these are my top 6. Other people will certainly have alternative suggestions and  in reality sometimes its more important who NOT to buy from.  

2) Consider leaving the spa exposed 12 inches above the deck rather than flush. I think this is a much better alternative that makes it easier to get in and out of and allows you to use a cover lifter.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 10:14:17 pm »
I would include Master Spas on your list as well. Also I installed mine with  18 inches above deck for safety and convenience  purposes. The only problem is that most cover lifters are not built for this 18 inch "standard"  that most spa people talk about. In fact when I started calling around to find such a lifter, I thought I was asking for a 3 headed dog by the responses I got.  Good luck!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005, 10:34:18 pm »
I would include Master Spas on your list as well. Also I installed mine with  18 inches above deck for safety and convenience  purposes. The only problem is that most cover lifters are not built for this 18 inch "standard"  that most spa people talk about. In fact when I started calling around to find such a lifter, I thought I was asking for a 3 headed dog by the responses I got.  Good luck!

The 18-inch above the deck is good! Couldn't find lifters? ??? ??? ??? Covermate 3 and even a covermate one should work fine. Look at http://www.leisureconcepts.com or look at Doc's site http://www.rhtubs.com/coverlifts/index.html he carries these and many more for those looking for a lifter in a situation like this....

I'm not a big fan of Master but there are those here on the forum that are. If I were to look at five they would be;

Marquis
D1
MAAX (Coleman, Elite)
HotSpring
Caldera

I'm not choosing an order for you just 5 brands that I feel are good manufactures, put them in the order of which fits your needs best...

I sell several brands and have a Marquis at home....

BTW, there’s a dealer that has about 5 stores down there named Browns Pool and Spa.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005, 11:41:13 pm »
The Covermate I works very well with partially sunken tubs into decks. They'll fit easily with 12 inches or so exposed. I bet you could reduce that even down to 6" or 8" but I think you want 12" to 18" to make it easy to get in and out.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005, 11:44:07 pm »
I'm not a big fan of Master but there are those here on the forum that are. If I were to look at five they would be;

Marquis
D1
MAAX (Coleman, Elite)
HotSpring
Caldera.

I know this isn't Pool & Spa but how much a month to get Hydropool on that list Stuart? ;D

Steve

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2005, 11:47:28 pm »

I know this isn't Pool & Spa but how much a month to get Hydropool on that list Stuart? ;D

Steve

For you buddy...... I will put them at..... 7... no charge;)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 11:49:57 pm »
I'll give you twice that to have them at #3 ;D

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2005, 01:18:46 am »
I'll give you twice that to have them at #3 ;D

You would have to pull a Master Spa trick and start your own website with your own list with your own ficticious rules......

This is my dream and I aint changin' a thing! 8)

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 11:07:25 am »
Another vote for only partially sinking the tub.  The rule of thumb I've heard is that the decking and the first "step" into the tub should be even.  The problem with totally flush tubs is that kids and elderly can have a harder time getting in and out, dogs and such run and trot on the covers, etc...  

Another though.. many people here get pearlescent finishes because they are beautiful and really look nice with the tub lights.  They can also be *very* slippery getting into and out of, especially if there is nothing around the tub to hold on to.  We got the more plasticy "roughed" finish on our tub because we worry about some of the older people in our family who stop by and get in the tub.

As for honesty, here are a few things I picked up that sometimes can be misleading from hot tub sales literature:

1) Pump horse power.  Some use brake horse power and not continual horse power because it is a higher number.  The only thing that matters is the feel of the jets.  Powerful pumps not plumbed correctly, or trying to service too many jets will be less effective than a less powerful pump that is plumbed correctly and doesn't service too many jets.  This is one reason why "wet testing" is key.

2) # people that fit in the spa.  Some tub manufacturers must assume american's aren't obese. 8) Or at least that they don't have feet.  In my shopping experience I've found that you need to drop 1 person off of the tub's max occupancy unless you want to rub elbows or, more appropriately, ankles.  When you wet test, try to take at least 2 friends/family. Have they sit in seats to your left and right and see how your legs and feet "fit".

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think right now.

Once you narrow it down to a few spas, the dealer becomes important. If 2 spas are equally comfortable to you then go with the dealer that you feel provides you with the most reliable servicing.  If anything happens to the tub in the next 5-7 years (as per whatever warranty), they will be the ones fixing it.

I own a Hot Springs Grandee, and am not a dealer, but a geek and recently a hot tub geek.   Hot Springs (actually Watkin's manufacturing) is a great manufacturer with a long history of honoring their warranty.  The grandee "no barrier" concept (basically benches and corner seats)  works well for me and my group of friends.

Good luck and happy hunting!

-Ed

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 11:25:41 am »
2) # people that fit in the spa.  Some tub manufacturers must assume american's aren't obese. 8) Or at least that they don't have feet.  In my shopping experience I've found that you need to drop 1 person off of the tub's max occupancy unless you want to rub elbows or, more appropriately, ankles.  When you wet test, try to take at least 2 friends/family. Have they sit in seats to your left and right and see how your legs and feet "fit".

This was one selling point for my Dynasty. they call my tub a 5-6 person tub.  We definitely can do 5 daults comfortably and have had 6 comfortably, which included 2 kids.  

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 11:25:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42