What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Tubs  (Read 43367 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Arctic Tubs
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2004, 06:26:23 pm »
That is one of the better, more honest posts I've seen concerning Arctic!

Thanks for your input!

I do have to say though that I don't think anyone was anymore brutal to opinions then the Arctic side was with snide comments and jabs.

Hopefully we will get more perspective like yours here as opposed to the volatile nature of the pitch that we all have a problem with anyway!

Good luck on your spa and Merry Christmas!

(BTW, I do have to throw a jab in here ;), your a mopar racer and an Arctic owner? Boy do you like to live dangerously! (just kidding ;))

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2004, 06:26:23 pm »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2004, 10:14:30 am »
I'd be suprised at R-19 also..... do you have a specific web page you looked at?

Wow, been away for a while.  I don't have a specific site.  Some hot tub cover sites talk about an "R-20" cover as being very good and maximum, etc.., etc.. so I figured R-19 was more int he ballpark.  I also posted R-19 on another board closer to when I purchased my tub so assumed it was a more accurate description from the dealer.  I'm fairly certain my dealer said R-X9 (most probably R-19).

Of course, I also need to go out and see how thick my cover is.  And, clearly, a phone call to my dealer would solve what they are telling people about the cover R value.   I'll try and get off my Christmass duff and figure it out.

-Ed

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2004, 10:35:37 am »
I'd be interested in knowing how thick the cover is, including the tapering, and the density of the foam.......
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JPKeirstead

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2004, 02:38:30 pm »
The Arctic Castcore cover is a 5" - 4" tapered cover.  It is a molded 2.4lb density polystyrene foam core.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2004, 09:03:43 pm »
Castcore? By this does it mean extruded, rather than expanded polystyrine?

If so, on an 8x8 cover the R value of the foam is about 22-1/2. ad to the adout another 2 for the vinyl and poly wrap and you have almost R-25.

HOWEVER, this is ASSUMING that in fact the foam is extruded rather than expanded, that the TRUE thickness is 5" (a common place to "fudge"),

Doing the math, an 8' square cover has to weight MORE than 80 pounds.... I'm not sure that even with a cover lifter everyone could remove the cover at that weight.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2004, 10:54:18 pm »
Castcore? By this does it mean extruded, rather than expanded polystyrine?

If so, on an 8x8 cover the R value of the foam is about 22-1/2. ad to the adout another 2 for the vinyl and poly wrap and you have almost R-25.

HOWEVER, this is ASSUMING that in fact the foam is extruded rather than expanded, that the TRUE thickness is 5" (a common place to "fudge"),

Doing the math, an 8' square cover has to weight MORE than 80 pounds.... I'm not sure that even with a cover lifter everyone could remove the cover at that weight.

Careful Doc, they have energy studies and thier not afraid to use them.... ;) ;) ;D

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2004, 02:30:39 am »
 And I, as well as many orther, are not afraid to point out the many flaws of such studies ;D  ;D

Come on....... 80 pounds for a spa cover?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2004, 06:26:27 am »
Doc as you know we have talked about one of your extreme covers coming here to Northern Minnesota for me to give the ultimate test to. Whats one of those weight, even though lifting half of it over onto the other half and then sliding it onto my cover shelf seems easy no matter how much. And can you build special iner liner made to stand up to years of sliding on and on the shelf? We talked about the handles allready. And what's the R-factor of your standard extreme cover?
Retired

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2004, 09:55:50 am »
And I, as well as many orther, are not afraid to point out the many flaws of such studies ;D  ;D

Come on....... 80 pounds for a spa cover?

Can you imagine what that will be like when it starts taking on moisture? :o

You would have to get a crane in to replace it!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2004, 10:39:40 am »
Tman122, Im going to refer you to a web page that answers all your questions. I can't format a table here that would show the comparasons as well.

http://www.hot-tub-spa-covers.com/spa-cover-faq.htm

Click the second sentance, "How much weight will a spa cover hold?".

stu.... we actualy make a cover with 2.8 pound  cores (custom for another company). From what I'm told, the foam is so compressed that there's very little room for water absorbsion
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:40:09 am by lets »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2004, 10:50:29 am »
Tman122, Im going to refer you to a web page that answers all your questions. I can't format a table here that would show the comparasons as well.

http://www.hot-tub-spa-covers.com/spa-cover-faq.htm

Click the second sentance, "How much weight will a spa cover hold?".

stu.... we actualy make a cover with 2.8 pound  cores (custom for another company). From what I'm told, the foam is so compressed that there's very little room for water absorbsion

Really....How much do those weigh?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2004, 11:10:13 am »
Really....How much do those weigh?

Well........... let me start by saying this is NOT a cover I initially designed  ;D It was requested of us by a large customer.

The cover is tapered 4-1/2" to 2-1/2", has a bit of extra re-inforcement, and at 8' square weights about 70 pounds.

stabone

• Just Bring It !!
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2004, 01:59:37 pm »

Actually, this is a great board on which to get information.  The problem with stabone is that he didn't realize that many people here have gone through many engineering debates in the past.

People on here are either:

1) Dealers
2) Hot tub geeks
3) Shoppers

Most posters, I would wager, are 1, followed by 2, followed by 3.

Stabone went into the Arctic pitch and got very insulting and  was buried with the same vitriole he spewed.

Search these forums to get substance on the following items:

1) Circulation pump or not?
2) How to support the plumbing
3) Type of bases
4) Methods of filtration
5)  Full foam bversus thermopane insulation
6) Types of thermopane insulation
7) The fallacy of # jets and HP ratings
8 ) Adequate (and overkill) R-factors.
9) Energy efficiency and operating cost
10) chemical usage and maintenance ease

Arctic, as I have heard, is an OK tub with a big price tag and an over-the-top sales pitch, which is required to sell an "ok" tub at a large price.

Some suspicious claims I've heard from arctic people on this forum:

1) Their single filter provides "the equivalent of" 900sq ft of filtration at 1 micron and must be replaced twice a year.
There are several problems with this, from claims to actual usage if the claims were true.

2) Arctic does not need the heater to heat the water.  Arctic, like many tubs, recycles pump heat back into the water. This claim is true, it is the uniqueness of the claim which is bogus.  Additionally, it is not possible to control how much heat radiates up and it becomes difficult to keep the temp steady (this is called heat creep).  This is especially difficult in the summer.

3) Arctic plumbing uses better flex piping. This piping is heavier and requires more support, which, based on discussions in this forum, does not exist.

4) Arctic insulates the cabinet, not the shell and this is a good thing.   This can cause the shell to pull in, provides no good support of plumbing or shell,  and makes pump motors run in a hotter environment, which is bad for them.

5) Arctic  equipment is not kept out in the cold. Arctic equipment runs in the heated inner air space which causes more stress on the equipment.  To prevent motor burnout Arctic cuts slits in the cabinet to allow air in, which, oddly, eradicates their thermolock design.  Since the equip is INSIDE the heated area, you must vent the heated area, which will destroy the heated area on cold and/or windy days.  Most manufacturers foam and insulate the SHELL and leave the hot-running equipment in a vented area for a reason.

6) The Arctic fiberglass base is the best out there
These bases can fail for several reasons because of what they are made of.  Microcracks are caused by sliding and moisture seeping up from the base (concrete, wood, peblles, whichever).  There are much better bottom-base materials to be used here.

7) Arctic uses the best covers around, and that saves you money .  After the first 2 inches of foam you get very little extra insulation benefit.  Worse, heat doesn't "rise" (hot air does, which is different than heat).  Heat leaks to where it is cold, like down into that cold fiberglass bottom, or out through those vents that the equipment needs to operate.

8 ) Arctic tubs are built like a polar bear.  This is true.  Go gut a polar bear, crawl inside, and you very may well recreate the Arctic experience.

9) Arctic tubs runs more efficiently than competitors .  Bunk. A study was done which showed Hot Springs and Arctic being very efficient.  This was done to put Arctic in league with a FF, established dealer.  To be brief, the test did not target many of arctic's weaknesses, especially with regards to wind which would greatly affect the thermolock via the equipment ventilation slots.  Arctic does not claim to cost less money per month to run than any other tub.

10) Arctic filtration is the best.  No.  A single filter clogs very quickly, especially one with only 1 micron holes in it.   Since Arctic does NOT use no-bypass filtration, as the filter clogs (which happens pretty quick at 1 micron) water will more easily bypass the filter.

11) There is no 11,  Spinal Tap be darned.  If I've lied above, others will point it out right quick.

There are many other points to be made regarding ozonators, heaters, shell design, jet placement, warranty honoring, it's just too late to go into it.

All my info comes from reading these boards and just a few months of hot tub nerdy research.  I'm not a dealer.

"Fight Arctic Sales Pitches -- Get An Education"

No doubt people own arctic spas and enjoy them.  Most probably, they have never owned a more mainstream spa before, either.  The problem isn't the tub. If someone wants to overpay for a so-so tub there are much worse ways to do so.  But don't go dropping $11k (can't remember if this was the retail price or not)  for a tundra and think you couldn't have gottom something nicer for $7k.

The problem is the misconception by some dealers that Arctic is a religion.  Worse, it is a sales pitch which uses "proof by analogy" and "pseudo-science" to trap people unfamiliar with hot tubs.

-Ed

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2004, 02:08:01 pm »
It was requested of us by a large customer.

You mean you made this for Mendocino!? ;) ;D

cflrules

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2004, 02:43:15 pm »
"All my info comes from reading these boards and just a few months of hot tub nerdy research.  I'm not a dealer. "

Well, that sums it up right there. If all of your info is coming from this board then it's no surprise you are part of the anti-Arctic cult which exists on this board.
Personally, I enjoy reading this forum and all the negative information that the fellow posters provide. As most of you know, when shopping for a product if the competitors are all slamming one specific product, it is for a reason. And I'm pretty sure I don't need to explain to any of you what that reason is.......
I sell the Arctic Spa, and I can tell you nobody on our staff is as close minded and "brainwashed" as most of these posters are claiming. It is a quality product that makes sense. I leave it up to the consmer to make that decision, and more often than not they choose our product.
"Fight the Arctic Sales pitch - get an education". That might be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.   ???
It's just a shame that a public forum designed to give the interested shopper some valuable information to arm themselves with is largely a one sided assault on one specific company. And the most surprising is that is fellow salespeople and business owners doing it.....If this is the way you discuss in a public forum, I can't imagine what is being said in your showrooms to potential buyers. I have been selling these spas for over 4 years, and I can't even begin to tell you how many customers have bought simply because all of our fellow competitors talked more about the negatives of our products than simply presenting their own.....obviously that means Arctic is doing something right.
Anyways, I'm not posting this to start the zillionth argument on Arctic, just thought I'd speak up on what I observe on an almost daily basis on this "non-biased" forum. :o
Besides, I have 10 buddies coming over tonight to celebrate New Years.  We are going to drink some Crown Royal and then have a dance/cabaret on top of my Arctic Spa cover. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 03:23:16 pm by cflrules »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2004, 02:43:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42