What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filtration Cycles  (Read 40571 times)

Bigbender

Filtration Cycles
« on: January 03, 2005, 02:46:05 pm »
I'm curious to know how often and how long everyone on this forum runs their filter cycles.

When we received our Coleman tub, the installer told me that two 6 hour filter cycles were pre-entered and those factory settings ran from 2:00 to 8:00 am and pm. I assumed that most of our use would be from 5:30-12 pm, so I had him change both of the settings to 11-5 to seperate the filter time from the use time. The confusing part is that our Coleman manual suggests two 3 hour filter cycles and they set it for six.

With my six hour setting, it seems like the pump is running almost constantly throughout the day from filtering, use, or while the heater runs. The 2-8 setting wouldn't be much better. I'm concerned about wasted power usage so how much filter time do I really need ??

As far as how much our tub is used... we've used it every day so far since the 23rd and it's been at least two people for 30 min to an hour in the evening. On three occasions, there were four people in it at one time.

Since we chose to use Bromine, does this require more filtration than other chemicals ?

Hot Tub Forum

Filtration Cycles
« on: January 03, 2005, 02:46:05 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Filtration Cycles
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 02:48:26 pm »
That sounds like a lot to me! I would experiment with 2 to 3 hour cycles and see how your water stays....

I run two 2 hr cycles and then Marquis has a "smart clean" that cycles for another pre-determined amount of time for clean up after you get out. I set that to 3 hr's

Marquis also kicks on and cycles hourly to check and adjust temp. In the winter your spa will run more by default just to maintain temp.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 04:34:48 pm by stuart »

poolboy34

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 03:43:46 pm »
Many spas have preset filter cycles on them.  I know that D-1 and caldera Spas are set to turn on every 12 hrs for about 1-2 hrs on a low setting, in ADDITION to the 24 hr circulation pump they come equiped with.

Jason,
Store Manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 03:47:49 pm »
stuart does it right... pretty much the same as I do. ;)
Two 2 hour cycles and 2 hours after every time using the tub. I believe the filtering after use is the more important cycle - the more you use the tub the more it filters... it just makes sense.
e

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 04:06:53 pm »
One thing to think about. How long have you had your tub? Are you comfortable with water maintenance? If not, leave things as they are for now as filter cycles go.  If you shorten the cycle and the water goes bad, you want to know that was the cause.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 05:00:24 pm »
2- 3 hour cycles should be plenty. Remember that usuage will drop to an average of 3-5 days a week eventually and you can adjust it accordingly.

Also, keep in mind that when you're in the spa and the jets are running, that it's filtering then as well.

I run mine on 2- 2 hour cycles a day.

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 05:22:03 pm »
I often help get people started after they get their spa and this is one thing I always cover when they have a two-speed pump for filtering. I ask them what use the spa will get and if its just 2 people I go with two 2-hr cycles per day. If its a small family or a couple that thinks they'll have lots of neighbors/friends I'll set them up with two 3-hr cycles. There have been a few incidences where they seem to have a flock of kids and I know the spa is going to get serious use and then its two 4-hr cycles but that's rare.  

There is a tradeoff between filtering to your actual needs and filtering to the point of wasting electricity so in each case I show them how to change it as their needs may change and once they see how easy it is I'm done. I could simply show them in the manual where it explains how to alter the filter cycles but we all know that usually goes over like a lead balloon. Its funny how some people have read through the entire manual within the first day they have the spa (or even while waiting for it to arrive) while others still have it in the plastic bag 2 weeks after the spa is in use. ???
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 06:48:49 pm »
Your spa came from the factory preset to run two times per day for 3 hours each from 2:00 to 5:00 am and again the same hours in the pm.

I run my Coleman 3 hours in the morning from 6 to 9am and have it on a 4 hour filtration at night from 7:00pm to 11:00pm. My spa gets used much more in the evenings.

If you want to shorten your filtration cycles and wanted to,  or felt the need to have a little more filtration due to something being spilled or a heavy bather load, just hit pump one on low and it will go into a 4 hour clean up cycle. You won't get the ozone if it's not during a preprogrammed filtration but will move water through the intakes and the filters and shut off automatically. This will not alter your programming and will only happen when you hit pump one after a tubbing session. Coleman calls this the clean up cycle.

Don't be overly concerned with the costs for running the pump. Remember all the heat it creates is being recaptured, thus requiring less heater time.

Spahappy :D

Bigbender

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 06:59:54 pm »
I was hoping that you would agree that I was filtering too much. Two 2-3 hour cycles plus evening use sounds a lot more energy efficient.

If I figure on everyday use (for now), some quick calculations makes me want to try 1-4 am and 9-12 am. When we use it in the evening from 5-11, I'll be filtering three times a day with a decent break in-between. When the wife and kids get over the "new toy novelty" and use it less often, I'll make some timing adjustments.

Just a note....
After I wrote this post, I came home from work and opened the cover to run a water test. I was surprised to find my temp down to 95 and a LCD code flashing on the screen. This was my first "incident" since I've had the tub. After a quick observation, I found the water level down about 1.5 inches and a dirty pre-filter. My kids must have had a good time last night !!! The good news is that the water level is back up, the temerature is on the rise and no warning remains on the screen.

Bigbender

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 07:18:16 pm »
Spahappy, I'm a slow typer so while I was replying, you had provided an answer. You're right about the 3 hour factory setting - I just re-read the book and I'm going to make the change to three hour settings.

Really though, when he powered this thing up, the timings entered were for 6 hours (2-8) and he told me that was what he recommended in the standard setting. Our tub was on the showroom for a few weeks so I'm wondering if they may have have the timings altered because of wet tests ?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 07:18:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42