What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with Chemicals.....  (Read 6139 times)

mhraracing

Help with Chemicals.....
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:23:32 pm »
Hi all - as most of you probably know that we got our spa up and running a few days ago and have been following the chemical directions that I received from my dealer and this site pretty closely.
I have been testing the water everyday with the HS Freshwater test strips just so I get an idea of whats going on with the water.

So far I have added about 2 tbl of SpaShock(orange cap) and 1 tbl of Chlorinating Concentrate(blue) after every soak. We ususally stay in about 40min each time.  This amount is actually a little less then what our dealer recomemded. (3 tbls of SpaShock and 1 tbls of Chlor concentrate)

What I have found out is that each time I test the spa - it shows my FCI is usually 0.  If I test it 1hour after I throw in the chems it tests fine. Also each test the pH has been perfect - but one time the Alk was low so I added some balancer Total Alk increaser.

What I am trying to get at is my wife has very sensitive skin and seems to have delevoped a rash on her legs. Its not a nasty rash - looks kinda like a heat rash. Could this be HT folliculitis already ???
I hope not - we just started the spa Wednesday.

Also - the dealer gave us a Monarch Silver cartridge and suggested that we wait a week before we installed it. Should I put in now....and follow the same chemical procedures I have been ??

I know I am asking a lot of questions - but the thought of have our brand new $$ tub sitting in my back yard not being used makes me sick.

Can you offer any suggestions if I am doing the chems wrong or have any other ideas.
As for our dealer - they are closed down for two weeks - so I cant bring in water for a test.

Any help would be GREATLY apprieciated.

D
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

Help with Chemicals.....
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:23:32 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Help with Chemicals.....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 09:47:38 pm »
She might be having a reaction to one of the chemicals in the spa. I would certainly have her checked out by and MD to verify. It would not be unheard of to have pseudomonas in a new spa. Often they do set with stale water in the plumbing for a period before you get it and it might be wise to "super chlorinate" the spa right away to kill anything that might be in there.

mhraracing

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 07:49:45 pm »
Thanks stuart  - she does have folliculitis - so would it be advisable to drain and refill the spa....or Hit it with a 1.5oz package of Enhanced Shock ?  Is this considered Super chlorinating...of do I need to add more ???

All products I have are SpaGuard - if that makes a difference.??

Thanks
Caldera Geneva Utopia

mhraracing

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 08:00:36 pm »
I guess I am wondering since my water is 5 days old do I need to this ???

Quote from a Chas post..
"Superchlorination and Neutralization:
4. Add at least 100 ppm chlorine to the spa being sure not to allow the Dichlor to come into direct contact with spa surface before is dissolves.

* Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate - 56%
6.25 ounces per 250 gallons,
8.75 ounces per 350 gallons,
12.50 ounces per 500 gallons.

5. During Superchlorination, be sure to rotate any diverter valves or other systems to allow water flow through all jets and systems for at least 5-10 minutes in each position.

6. For the first 60 minutes, do not cover the spa with the spa cover.

7. Neutralize the chlorine in the water with 16 oz of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%). Test for chlorine: more Hydrogen Peroxide may be needed.

* Warning: Hydrogen Peroxide, 3% U.S.P.,
For external use, topically to the
skin and mucous membranes.
Keep out of eyes.

8. Circulate the spa water for 10 minutes, during the Chlorine neutralizing process.

9. Stop circulation by turning off all jets.

10. Drain and flush the spa.

11. Clean the spa surface with a surface cleaner approved for you type of spa shell surface. Rinse the spa thoroughly! "
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 08:59:56 pm »
Thanks stuart  - she does have folliculitis - so would it be advisable to drain and refill the spa....or Hit it with a 1.5oz package of Enhanced Shock ?  Is this considered Super chlorinating...of do I need to add more ???

All products I have are SpaGuard - if that makes a difference.??

Thanks

Well your not going to want to hear this but.....You have to do a chemical clean and drain to make sure you get it out. I will walk you through the steps, it's a bit of a hassle but well worth it to insure you've got a clean, healthy spa.

1. Add about 4 to 5 oz of chlorine to your spa and run the jets WITH THE COVER OPEN for a couple of hours.

2. Leave the water in overnight and then add 1 or 2 bottles of over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide (to minimize the chlorine) run the jets for about an hour and then drain it.

3. Clean your filters, wipe down the cover with a solution of Clorox and water (3 to 1)

4. Refill the spa and add about 2 oz of Chlorine and let the spa heat up, you should be fine.

I know that this would not be your first choice but it is the best way to alleviate potential bacteria.....

Enhanced shock contains Chlorine but is not potent enough to accomplish what you need to do.

SpaGaurd is a name brand and fine for products…..

BTW, we encourage our customers to super chlorinate the spa in the beginning to alleviate this.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 09:01:34 pm »
Sorry I got pulled away from my computer for about an hour and hit post before I saw that you had posted Chas's info.

Either way would be fine....

mhraracing

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 09:39:41 pm »
Thanks for the reply Stuart.  I figured as much that I had to do a drain and refill already  :-[

So Before you posted - I put in in packet 1.5oz of Enhanced Shock and 2 oz of Chlorinating Concentrate. I just shut the pumps off after running them for 1 1/2 hours. Was this ok ??

I will now go out and close it up for the night.

I will buy the peroxide tomorrow after work and do the second half.

One question I have is what do I clean the filter with ??? Do I pull them out and put them in the dishwasher or will the hose suffice - my dealer didnt provide me with filter cleaner upfront - as they said I wouldnt need to use a chemical cleaner on my filter for at least a month and they are closed for the holidays for 2 weeks.

Looks like I will be doing the drain n fill in the cold and in the dark.

Is spa ownership always going to such a pain in the a$$?? Did this happen from crap in the lines from the factory ??

Thanks.
D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 09:45:34 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 10:58:40 pm »
There is no telling how it got in there.... Yes it could have been from factory water or even rain/snow water that sat before delivery, it's more likely though that it was brought in by bather waste without enough sanitizer...

You can clean the filters in a solution of warm water and dishwasher detergent I would even consider mixing a bit of clorox in for a final rinse.

It's hard to tell that Chas and I have walked the same path at times in this industry....! ;)

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 10:12:24 am »

Is spa ownership always going to such a pain in the a$$?? Did this happen from crap in the lines from the factory ??

Thanks.
D

WARNING!!!!!  GIANT  VENT SESSION FOLLOWS......

This is my biggest beef with some spa dealers(like mine).  Do they NOT know that this kind of stuff happens all the time?  Why do they insist on telling customers that their brand new spa basically balances and cleans itself?  Such BUNK!!!  There is a learning curve, and for some it is a steep curve.  
If I were a spa dealer I would be completely upfront with my customers.  I would tell them that the first month of owning their tub is going to be ROUGH, but that it gets easier (like everything else).  I would tell them to fill the spa, super clorinate and drain.  This is not optional.  (I was told it was unnecessary).  It makes ALL the difference.  

I'm coming up on the end of my second month of spa ownership and I finally feel like I've figured out  the chemistry.  It took a lot of trial and error...money flushed down the drain, doctor visits, antibiotics, etc....unnecessary issues that could have been greatly reduced had I just drained the tub to begin with.  UGH!

Elle...just my opinion

steve771

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 02:02:10 pm »
One question that mhraracing had that wasn't covered in the responses (and interests me as well)....

We use a teaspoon of dichlor after every time in (and the days we don't use it).  If I test for dichlor hours after introduction, it shows up.  Overnight, however, it seems to dissipate and show little, if any, reading.  Is this "normal" for dichlor, or should it always show some in the tub?  ???

And if it always should show, does that mean I need to increase the nightly dose, or space out smaller doses during the day?  ???

Oh, and I suppose I should mention that I have ozone, if that makes a diff?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 02:02:44 pm by steve771 »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 02:15:15 pm »
Steve,

Your dichlor should dissapate as it takes care of the sanitization process of your water.  Therefore, by the morning after, there should be very little chlorine showing.  At least that is what I have found with my tub.  Part of the reason I got ozone, was that it would help reduce the amount of chlorine (dichlor) that I use.  I put in a teasp00n of dichlor (chlorine) when I get finished soaking, and by the next morning, there is very little residual showing.  That way, when I get in that evening, I am not soaking in a bunch of chlorine (dichlor).

Does that help?
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 05:29:12 pm »
Is there any way to test your water for germ, bugs and other nastys?

Do I have to go into my basment and get my junior scientist kit out, you know the one with the little kid sized microscope!

Jonathan

mhraracing

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 09:12:35 pm »
OK - tub is refilling as I am typing this.

One thing that I noticed is I see a few flakes of white/clear stuff....I guess that means the I had some 'white water mold' as I have read in some other posts.

How the heck can I have this much stuff wrong with my spa with it up and running for less then a week ??

On start up - I am going to add....

3 Tbs of Stain & Scales control
3 Tbs of Water clearifier
2 Oz of Chlorinating Concentrate.
My orig start procedures said to add 1 1/2 tbs of CC but I am going to superchlorinate it this time.

Does this sound ok. ??

Thanks

D
Caldera Geneva Utopia

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 09:22:19 pm »
Don't get nervous now and over chlorinate! I doubt you have water mold, more likely you have some residual stuff from your freeze up.

Follow your regular startup procedure and add a couple of oz of chlorine.....

Relax.....

Sun is warm, grass is green

Breath.....

mhraracing

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 10:08:50 pm »
Ok.......all chems are in it and the jets are running - current water temp is 58 degrees.  Put in all the dealer recommended amounts except for the chlorine - put in 2 oz as stated above.

Last start up - the temp went up 30 degrees in 6 hours - 20 degree outside temp - so it should be close to 100 by tommorrow morning.

I will test FCI first thing before work.

Thanks for all your help.

D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 10:10:50 pm by mhraracing »
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 10:08:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42