What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Urgent Help Needed  (Read 5435 times)

matthewc

Urgent Help Needed
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:06:48 am »
Hi Guys

I need your help!

I went in my tub last night with the wife and kids and all was well. However today I have gone outside to do my weekly shock and clean down and to my horror my water is green. The Bromine levels are a little low but everything else is fine. What can cause my water to turn green overnight?

Please help.

Matt

Hot Tub Forum

Urgent Help Needed
« on: December 27, 2004, 09:06:48 am »

xrdirthead

Re: Urgent Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 10:05:04 am »
Matt,
Use the search tool and do a search on "Green"......
It should show you some threads with your exact problem...

matthewc

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 10:34:38 am »
Thanks, I will give it a go.

matthewc

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 11:11:13 am »
I have read a few threads but am still a bit confused. Am right that the green water is as a result of my Bromine level being low, and that if I shock and add more Bromine it will be OK? Or do I have to change the water?

#Matt

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 11:13:53 am »
I would test and adjust pH and TA first, then shock with Dichlor if you have it. Put in a couple of dry ounces.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

matthewc

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 11:16:17 am »
Chas

I don't have Dichlor, will non chlorine shock do the same job?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 11:19:57 am »
It may - try a couple of ounces, and run the jets with the cover open for ten minutes or so. Then look to see if the green is gone. If not, I would plan a trip to the spa store today...
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

matthewc

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 11:22:36 am »
Chas

I live in the UK and have never seen Dichlor before. What exactly is it? In the UK we seem to just have Chlorine and Non Chlorine shock.

Matt

JPKeirstead

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 11:51:11 am »
I would say that you need to add granular chlorine right away.  My bet is that your water has turned green because of insufficient sanitizer.  Dichlor is simply a stabalized granular chlorine.  I would put 2 capfulls in your spa while running the jets with the cover at least half off for 1/2 an hour.  In a couple of hours test your water.  If your chlorine/bromine level is not reading at least 5 add another cap.

BTW... it is not uncommon for spa water to go terrible overnight if you use the spa with insufficient sanitizer.  Remember when you and your family get into the water your bodies are releasing bacteria and lots of other stuff.  If your sanitizer level is low, it will not keep up with the introduction of these materials.  I recommend that you shock your spa with either a granular chlorine or non-chlorine shock after you have a bather load of three or more people.

Hope that helps.  If you have any other questions, send me a note and I will be glad to help.

James

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 11:52:36 am »
Chas

I live in the UK and have never seen Dichlor before. What exactly is it? In the UK we seem to just have Chlorine and Non Chlorine shock.

Matt

Dichlor is simply the abbreviated term we use for spa chlorine (trichlor is for pools).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

matthewc

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 11:55:46 am »
Thanks Guys

I didn't think i was able to add granular Chlorine if I am using Bromine tablets in a floater. Am i correct?

JPKeirstead

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 12:11:10 pm »
You can.  No problem.  Just don't ever mix them together in their dry form.

The bromine in the spa will quickly convert the granular chlorine into bromine anyway.  

Granular chlorine will introduce sanitizer instantly though, and that is what you need right now.

poolboy34

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 01:56:19 pm »
You can add them together, BUT why add another sanitizer when you are already using Bromine as your sanitizer?????  Make sure your floater is filled, and open it up more to relase more bromine into the spa, then shock with about 2-4 onces of non-chlorine shock to ACTIVATE the bromine and oxidize off any contaminants in the spa.  Why spend money on something that is redundant.  Stay with the system/routine you are on.  Just remember to shock after heavy periods of use.

Ok, here's a rant:  Why as professionals must we feel the need to alter someones spa care routine when it has worked fine for them other then one or two select instances????  Sometimes I feel we forget that keeping things simple is better.  I can see where customers can get more confused by listening to us.  "You're on bromine??? and you shock with non chlor????  it's green, you say????  shock with dichlor!!!!"  yeah that makes A LOT of sense people!!!!  

Why have someone go out and buy a product they don't need, when they have what they need right at their home already???  Why have them purchase more products then they need, this will ultimately lead them to more confusion over how to care for their spa.  Unfortunately this is a downside to our industry.  I've seen it happen far too often where a competitor is quick to criticize how someone cares for their spa instead of sitting back and LISTENING to the customer and how they currently care for their spa and what exactly the problems they are having are.  And also what products they currently have at home, and how they at present care for their spa.

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating it is when I see a customer bring in their bucket of supplies they purchased elsewhere.  Only to find: a nature 2 stick, a bucket of bromine tabs, dichlor, spa metal out, chlorine test strips, spa down, defoamer, etc.....   And I'm not frustrated with the customer, it's the illadvised people they bought the stuff from.  It's truly amazing how much business you gain when you properly educate your customers on how to care for their pool/spa, instead of just trying to sell them a bunch of crap they don't need.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 03:06:22 pm »
The bromine routine that I learned was to shock weekly with non chlorine shock and to add dichlor if there is a heavy bather load or the bromine levels get down to zero.  IMO, Chas recommendation was correct.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 03:11:30 pm »
Matt,
Your getting pretty sound advice here however I do have a question. You had posted earlier that you were thinking about changing water.... Did you do that? Did this happen right after the water change?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 03:11:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42