What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Scale  (Read 2266 times)

countryboy

• soak it in cider
Scale
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:25:34 pm »
I'm a week into my second water change and I'm getting scale on the whole tub. I'm on a well, didn't have this problem with the first two fill ups. Alk is fine, Ph is slightly high but working to get it down, clorine is a little low but its getting in the right range, water hardness is 250. any words of wisdom out there?

Hot Tub Forum

Scale
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:25:34 pm »

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Re: Scale
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 12:55:54 pm »
Ouch. That dosn't sound good.

This might be a question for SUPER CHAS, he has some of the best "fixing water problems" posts I've read. I'm sure he'll read this...

Good luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 12:59:49 pm »
I'm a week into my second water change and I'm getting scale on the whole tub. I'm on a well, didn't have this problem with the first two fill ups. Alk is fine, Ph is slightly high but working to get it down, clorine is a little low but its getting in the right range, water hardness is 250. any words of wisdom out there?

In the past for this problem when people are on a well I have used Perfect PH but be sure and remove your filters when you first put it in as it will clog them.

Sounds strange but it works...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 02:25:00 pm »
Drop the pH to about 6.8, and the TA to 80 or below. Keep them there for about two or three days, and the calcium will go right back where it came from.

You have to be pretty agressive with this: add what it takes to get it down in the first day, and check the pH twice a day and add another ounce of spa down if it starts to creep up.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 02:27:29 pm »
Chas,
Have you ever tried to control it with Perfect PH?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 02:30:27 pm »
Chas,
Have you ever tried to control it with Perfect PH?

I have never had good luck with pH balancing chems. You have to get everything perfect first, and once that's done it's so easy to keep it that way.

But I have had several folks do expensive damage by not getting the hardness in the right range first.

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 10:26:54 am »
Thanks Chas, I got it down last night, will see how it goes.

Russ

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 10:34:25 am »
I have never had good luck with pH balancing chems. You have to get everything perfect first, and once that's done it's so easy to keep it that way.

But I have had several folks do expensive damage by not getting the hardness in the right range first.

WHAT!!  :o  expensive damage!?!?!?!..."paranoia setting in now"

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 03:14:08 pm »
WHAT!!  :o  expensive damage!?!?!?!..."paranoia setting in now"
Are you kidding? Go price a new heating element, installed, and if you don't call that expensive, then add me to your Christmas list.

I have replaced many heaters due to "pH Perfect" or similar products. The customers didn't read the label, and cost themselves money. I had to flush a couple of them out multiple times to get all the crud out of the systems.

Now the good news is that HotSpring and others are offering no-fault warranty coverage on heaters these days, so if you are talking about one of those tubs, then go for it.

But if the money is coming outa' your pocket, then I would be very very careful of these products.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 03:14:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42