What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine vs. Dichlor (Stabilized Chlorine Granules)  (Read 8279 times)

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Bromine vs. Dichlor (Stabilized Chlorine Granules)
« on: December 14, 2004, 01:00:31 pm »
Sorry if I'm repeating a question asked in the past, but here goes...
I've owned a few tubs in the past, and always had good results out of Chlorine - clear water, easy to put in, cheaper than Bromine.  

However, when I bought my Jacuzzi, the dealer suggested Bromine, as it stays a sanitizer even when it becomes a bromamine, where as Chlorine doesn't.  

I have been having huge problems however, keeping the Bromine level up.  If I leave it even a day w/o tubbing, it turns green.  I am also using an algaecide to combat that potential problem.

So the question is, is dichlor a better way to go, and secondly, can I switch without changing the water ?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine vs. Dichlor (Stabilized Chlorine Granules)
« on: December 14, 2004, 01:00:31 pm »

poolboy34

Re: Bromine vs. Dichlor (Stabilized Chlorine Granu
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 01:17:49 pm »
First....to change, you have to change out the water.

Second..........what type of bromine are you using???  Tablets with a floater, or a granular/liquid bromine???  Are you shocking on a regular basis with MPS????  this "activates" the bromine.  You might also have the floater(if you are using one) not open enough.

Is Bromine better then dichlor???  There really isn't a clear cut answer to this.  Both when utilized in a proper maintenance routine are VERY effective ways at keep a spa and/or pool properly sanitized.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 01:22:48 pm »
First....to change, you have to change out the water.
Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer
While this is true in the strict sense - bromine is a salt which stays in the water even if not active - you can start using Dichlor without a water change. You will find the chlorine activates the bromine, and may cause foaming, but if you want to get on chlorine quickly, you can simply start adding it and take out the feeder.

To get completely rid of the bromine in your water does require a change of water - and the closer you get to a 100% change, the better.

If you had good results with Dichlor before, go back to it. I'm sure you can go home now - all is forgiven. Dichlor is seldom given to holding grudges.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

golferm

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
I'm using granular bromine, and if I know I won't be in the tub for a few days, I throw the floater in.  I don't know what MPS is.  I'm using a non-chlorine shock. I seem to have to use a ton of Bromine granular to get the same result I use to get out of a tablespoon of chlorine.  I typically have to use upwards of 75 grams of Bromine granular just to keep it at 1-3 PPM w/ Ozone.  

Also, from the budgetary perspective, Bromine seems to be at least double the price of Chlorine.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 01:25:35 pm »
I'm using granular bromine, and if I know I won't be in the tub for a few days, I throw the floater in.  I don't know what MPS is.  I'm using a non-chlorine shock. I seem to have to use a ton of Bromine granular to get the same result I use to get out of a tablespoon of chlorine.  I typically have to use upwards of 75 grams of Bromine granular just to keep it at 1-3 PPM w/ Ozone.  

Also, from the budgetary perspective, Bromine seems to be at least double the price of Chlorine.

MPS is a non-chlorine shock.

Yes, Bromine does give your dealer a wider choice of colleges to send their kids to.....

I wish I could bring myself to sell it, but I happen to think Dichlor is better, and a better value.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 02:03:24 pm »
Dont waste your time with the algacide unless you leave the cover off more than not or you alwas have the light on.

Algae, like any plant (and no, not like the white algae, which is actually a mold), needs light to grow.

Green may the result of copper, other metals, but most likely this is a reaction between the ozone gas and unsanitized water.
Homeworks Financing Representative

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 02:14:34 pm »

I'm fairly new to using bromine - but have been happily using it for the last 4 months. If water is properly kept it should not turn green in one day without tubbing.

I have no experience with granual as I use tabs. I use nothing but bromine and MPS (non-chlorine shock) when necessary -  I "go through" 5 one inch tabs about every 3 weeks or so keeping the Bromine level around 1 PPM. As a result my water has been fantastic and my bromine cost has been around $3 per month.
e

golferm

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 02:58:09 pm »
Dont waste your time with the algacide unless you leave the cover off more than not or you alwas have the light on.

Algae, like any plant (and no, not like the white algae, which is actually a mold), needs light to grow.

Green may the result of copper, other metals, but most likely this is a reaction between the ozone gas and unsanitized water.

Thanks.  I live in Canada, so that cover's on the moment we step out of the tub.  I must be doing something wrong with the Bromine to be gettting the bad results I am.  I have already started the drain so I can get back to good old Dichlor.  (Plus I have a small bucket of it left over from a previous tub and am almost out of Bromine granular)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 04:08:35 pm »
I'm fairly new to using bromine - but have been happily using it for the last 4 months. If water is properly kept it should not turn green in one day without tubbing.

I have no experience with granual as I use tabs. I use nothing but bromine and MPS (non-chlorine shock) when necessary -  I "go through" 5 one inch tabs about every 3 weeks or so keeping the Bromine level around 1 PPM. As a result my water has been fantastic and my bromine cost has been around $3 per month.

This sounds pretty close to us as well.  We've had our tub since August and have not had any 'green' issues when it doesn't get used for a couple of days.  We actually went away for a week and it was still clear when we got back.  The only thing we've done is changed from the Leisure Time Bromine to Bromine tablets with less chlorine and we're using a floater now instead of the built-in dispensing basket in the filter door.  It's just a bit easier to keep the bromine level consistent.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 08:42:43 am »
We've been using bromine for about 6 weeks, with no water problems.  We use Brilliance, which has no chlorine, and MPS shock.  Also using Brilliance metal control.  It's dispensed thru the floater, we're not using the dispenser built into the spa.
Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 08:42:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42