What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis' Dynamic Solutions ?  (Read 6459 times)

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
Marquis' Dynamic Solutions ?
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:19:53 pm »
I found it interesting that Marquis would choose to expand their business towards back yard accessories rather than focusing on spas.

"We have launched Dynamic Solutions because we want to be able to provide our dealers with one stop shopping. The Dynamic Solutions’ offering contains everything from bathrobes and flip flops to remote controls, cleaners and filters. Hopefully we can expand and include many more products in the nearby future. I think that more products for the back yard are a natural next step.”  

I doubt the products will be manufactured in Independence. Is this the direction of spa manufacturers? It conjures images of Calspa catalogs with patio furniture, barbeques, pool tables, fish tanks, vacuum cleaners...

Any thoughts?
e

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis' Dynamic Solutions ?
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:19:53 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Marquis' Dynamic Solutions ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:32:34 pm »
Spa companies have been doing this for years! In fact this is nothing new for Marquis, they have been doing the same thing under the name "Spa Essentials" for over 6 years! The change is simpley bringing it in house instead of dependig on a 3rd party to distribute and fufill orders.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 12:43:22 pm »
If I am a dealer and I can make one call to get my spas, steps, cover lifts, chemicals... Why not.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 06:39:30 pm by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

empolgation

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 12:56:06 pm »
It's not the spa accessories of the current offering, steps, lift, chems... that makes sense, it's the "more products for the backyard"  Get yer Marquis 7 burner gas grill and a pair of flip flops half price when you buy your spa... "one stop shopping" I think that was taken from WalMart

Then again I guess Marquis has been a super store for a while with the Marquis owned Your Back Yard stores.
e

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 01:04:03 pm »
Again this is not a new concept; many companies have been doing it for years including grills and clothing items but mostly for convenience to their customers. As a dealer you usually were able to buy elsewhere for less. I think the concept that Marquis is trying to get launched is that as a combined group we can get better pricing and more exclusivity.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 06:41:05 pm »
In business you diversify or go bankrupt.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 11:24:27 pm »
Or spread too thin, move away from core, and go bankrupt.  In business there are many ways to go bankrupt!  But Marquis isn't going anywhere.

Hey, isn't this what Coleman does!  ;D

*duck*

-Ed
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 11:24:46 pm by ebirrane »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 12:03:07 am »
I think you'll find many companies explore this type of opportunity.

It's called branding and it offers diversity while giving their dealer network a common look from a merchandising angle. You can go into one store in California and another in Calgary and both should have a similar look with common dealers. Many have incorporated a common theme with colors and store layouts to achieve this. I like it myself but then again...that's my job! ;)

Consider Harley Davidson as an example. They do accessories such as clothing and countless other forms of generating revenue and I don't think their bikes have suffered a great deal for it. ;D

As Stuart mentioned (twice ;D), many companies have been doing this for years and it's nothing new. It certainly doesn't mean that the focus is taken away from any one area, but rather it's a diversification for a company that brings in capitol. Just smart business…

Steve
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 12:04:52 am by Steve »

zzaphod42

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 10:51:55 am »
Consider Harley Davidson as an example. They do accessories such as clothing and countless other forms of generating revenue and I don't think their bikes have suffered a great deal for it. ;D

Steve

I couldn't tell you the number of times Terry Scott used to mention Harley Davison in reference to branding. I imagine while you were with Beachcomber, your developement partnewr used the same analogy.

Now that you are a big wig with Hydropool, I guess you are the one telling the analogy to YOUR dealers. Oh the power! :o

;D  

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 12:29:48 pm »
Terry's moved on from Beachcomber hasn't he? Does he still stop by?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 12:30:03 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

empolgation

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 12:36:28 pm »
I guess it comes down to that I'm old fashioned and a bit romantic in hoping that "grassroots" product companies would stay just that and keep to local manufacturing and products rather than branding offshore manufacturing and importing to create a "one stop shopping" destination... but in our world that is simply a thing of the past  :-/
e

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 01:06:45 pm »
I guess it comes down to that I'm old fashioned and a bit romantic in hoping that "grassroots" product companies would stay just that and keep to local manufacturing and products rather than branding offshore manufacturing and importing to create a "one stop shopping" destination... but in our world that is simply a thing of the past  :-/

I don't know that your wrong in that, I like the idea of the dealer handling the rest of the backyard products but I have to tell you it's made a lot of money for Calspa to diversify into all of the products that they have. I think the Manufacture branding spa related products is great but like you wonder how much focus they can afford to spend on non spa related items.....

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 01:33:00 pm »
I think the Manufacture branding spa related products is great but like you wonder how much focus they can afford to spend on non spa related items.....

I can tell you, Beachcomber lost dealers over it. As mentioned before, they attempted to force many dealers to switch to there brand of chems. The took away volume rebates for those not buying there branded chems and fllowing their new program  for '04.
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 01:46:19 pm »
I can tell you, Beachcomber lost dealers over it. As mentioned before, they attempted to force many dealers to switch to there brand of chems. The took away volume rebates for those not buying there branded chems and fllowing their new program  for '04.

Here's what I will tell you, I think Marquis makes one of the finest spas out today and I enjoy many of thier programs however, if they "forced" me to carry an accessory or item in order to be a dealer I would end that relationship. One of the main reasons I go through the hassles of being a small bussiness owner is to be able to make my own decisions and I refuse to let anyone take that away!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 01:48:37 pm »

Here's what I will tell you, I think Marquis makes one of the finest spas out today and I enjoy many of their programs however, if they "forced" me to carry an accessory or item in order to be a dealer I would end that relationship. One of the main reasons I go through the hassles of being a small business owner is to be able to make my own decisions and I refuse to let anyone take that away!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 01:48:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42