What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Power outage and freeze questions ??  (Read 28838 times)

mhraracing

Power outage and freeze questions ??
« on: December 06, 2004, 08:58:35 pm »
While I am sitting here tonight in CT on the computer - wishing I had my new spa - there is a pretty nasty mixture of freezing rain and snow coming down - I started thinking.........If the power were to go out in the middle of the winter......How long do you think we would have before we have to worry about freeze damage to our spas ?

For the people that have spas in Northern Climates - what do you do if the power is going to be out for an extended period of time ?

Just wondering - or am I being too paranoid ?
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

Power outage and freeze questions ??
« on: December 06, 2004, 08:58:35 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Power outage and freeze questions ??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:29:02 pm »
You could leave a HotSpring spa outside, with no power for a month in sub-zero temps day and night and it wouldn't freeze at all.

Not at all !!

Unless it had water in it....

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Better answer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 09:31:10 pm »
Most spas will be fine for a day or so - during that time you will have other things to worry about.

If the power goes off and you have a generator - run and extension cord and a work light to the motor compartment. Toss some extra blankets over it, finish up with a heavy tarp and

Wait a minute !! I live in paradise !! Why am I answering this question?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 09:31:52 pm by Chas »

moshspa

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 09:53:47 pm »
You live in paradise?   Funny, I thought you lived in California. ;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 09:57:20 pm »
If you own a spa do yourself a favor and get a drop light of some kind. If you lose power to the spa you can always put the light in the cabinet to keep the pipes from freezing even if you have to plug it into a generator.

poolboy34

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 10:03:46 pm »
With the insulation methods used in spas today you needn't worry.  Most spas will be fine for 7 days in the event of a power failure during the winter.  But in the event of a prolonged power outage (greater then 7 days) following the advice stuart gave will help prevent any potential damage.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 & Caldera Dealer

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 10:09:05 pm »
OK the spa was a semi easy sell to my wife but a generator, I don't know.

I can't see my wife buying the story: " Really Honey, I know we didn't budget for it but if power goes out the tub won't freeze". Me thinks my dog would be sleeping in my bed!

Of coarse if you have some 150 watt bulbs that don't require electricity to run ...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 10:26:06 pm »
OK the spa was a semi easy sell to my wife but a generator, I don't know.

I can't see my wife buying the story: " Really Honey, I know we didn't budget for it but if power goes out the tub won't freeze". Me thinks my dog would be sleeping in my bed!

Of coarse if you have some 150 watt bulbs that don't require electricity to run ...

Sounds to me like you've got everything you need -

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 10:33:37 pm »

If the power were to go out in the middle of the winter......How long do you think we would have before we have to worry about freeze damage to our spas ?

For the people that have spas in Northern Climates - what do you do if the power is going to be out for an extended period of time ?

Just wondering - or am I being too paranoid ?

I've lived in the snowbelt most of my life (born in Santa Monica- go figure), and cannot recall one time where the winter power ever went out for more than a few seconds.  So I'm not worrying.
Brewman
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 10:34:06 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 10:41:43 pm »
Chas,

I like it!

My dog likes to chase things so heck I can power the tub if I just put a mechanical rabbit in front!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 10:55:17 pm »
I'm with poolboy. Most quality spas will give you a 5-7 day window. After that, you've got far more bigger concerns than your tub!

I always suggest to have a space heater or trouble light available in the event of an issue with just the spa itself in harsh climates. Either one of those can prevent the equipment area from freezing in extended outages.

My only other suggestion would be to buy an Arctic. They will last for up to 4 years with no power at -80C and maintain 100+ degrees. ;) I think I read that in their brochure... ;D

Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 10:59:23 pm »
You can also have people jump up and down on the spa cover to while away the hours waiting for the power to come back on.
Brewman
Brewman

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 11:18:52 pm »
Tough crowd!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 02:48:45 am »
Steve....I am confused I thought the Artic spas were used as a heat source for small towns in the case of a power failure....did you not also read that in their brochure along with it using the space shuttle heat shield to recover heat as reenters earths atmosphere that will help it  remain hot with the cover off...or was it that their cover is used as the heat shield its self....

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 06:22:50 am »
Here in Northern Minnesota in the dead of winter we have never had a power outage for more than a few minutes. In the spring and fall we have had longer ones but not in the dead of winter. If we do have a power outage at sub zero temps we worry about staying alive not our tubs!
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 06:22:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42