What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tools every spa owner should own  (Read 9008 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Tools every spa owner should own
« on: December 06, 2004, 11:15:18 pm »
I was thinking, when you own a spa there are some common sense items that every spa owner should have for emergencies. I will start with a few and then let the group chime in just to see what everyone comes up with….

A volt meter; not an expensive one or a difficult one but one to tell you if you have the proper power (learn how to use it)

A drop light; comes in handy in a power failure

A soft bristle brush; for cleaning

A strap wrench; to loosen pump unions when you pull filters but forget to take the scumbug out of the spa and suck it down into the filter

A computer to email Chas when you need advice

A phone to call Chas when you don’t know how to use the meter

let the shopping list begin....
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 11:54:40 am by stuart »

Hot Tub Forum

Tools every spa owner should own
« on: December 06, 2004, 11:15:18 pm »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
Re: Tools ever spa owner should own
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 11:23:56 pm »
A drill, sump pump, allen wrenches, screw drivers, and a husband who can use them...LOL...

Spahappy :D

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:28:59 pm »
I was thinking, when you own a spa there are some common sense items that every spa owner should have for emergencies.

A computer to email Chas when you need advice

A phone to call Chas when you don’t know how to use the meter.
I'm truly honored !!

I think a good owner's manual should be on the list.

I like a simple syphon hose with a stiff section or a section of pipe to get that stupid bit of sand or grit out and to vac out the filter area when you wait too long between filter cleanings.

A large hose - cheap pool vac hose is great - for draining quickly. It also comes in handy to suck the scumbug out of the pump if you don't want to mess with the strap wrench.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 11:33:57 pm »

I like a simple syphon hose with a stiff section or a section of pipe to get that stupid bit of sand or grit out and to vac out the filter area when you wait too long between filter cleanings.

A large hose - cheap pool vac hose is great - for draining quickly. It also comes in handy to suck the scumbug out of the pump if you don't want to mess with the strap wrench.

;)

Shop vac works great for this and many other spa applications.

poolboy34

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 11:52:58 pm »
soft scrub to clean the shell, baking soda to clean the inside of the cover, 303 to preserve the cover

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 02:39:46 am »
Chas.... you seem to like the pool vac hose for draining others the sump pump...I have been looking for a sump pump this week... and than thought about using the pool vac hose and I am leaning towards that... anyone with any thoughts

UnderTheStars

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 05:41:22 am »
... and than thought about using the pool vac hose and I am leaning towards that... anyone with any thoughts

The cheapest pool vac hose I found was $1.75/foot.  Instead I bought a sump pump connection hose (Lowe's, Home Depot.)  You'll find it right next to the sump pumps.  It looks like shop vac hose, it's 1 1/4" (versus pool vac hose at 1 1/2".)

The best part, it was $7 for 24' . . . and it drained my 400 gallon tub in 35 minutes.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 06:17:52 am »
So the 6 foot high by 3 foot wide tool chest and the cupboard after cupboard of power tools and accesorys in my garage are for nothing? Dang it! Here in Northern Minnesota a torpedo heater with propane tank and a 2000 watt gen set. Put a tarp over any tub and point the heater in on low, let the work begin. It's nice if you can back your truck up and position the tarp around the back of your truck and the tub with the heater drawing air from under your tailgate. I am not in the service industry but can fix anything any time of year. The name of our business is "We fix everything except Broken Hearts" I find a starter in the old lady across the streets toyota harder to fix than the pump, control board or heater on a HT. You ever try and pull a starter on a Dodge Dakota pickup mid 90's gota jack the motor off one mount to get it out and need 19 inches of extensions. Or plumbing under the sink of an early 1900's house, sigh. Sorry went off there.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 07:01:27 am »
A volt meter; not an expensive one or a difficult one but one to tell you if you have the proper power (learn how to use it)

They are down to about $29 at Radio Shack.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 08:34:31 am »
Sears had a decent one at 9.99 (half price) last week.  Not sure if it's still on sale.

poolboy34

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 09:07:34 am »
Here's a great tip for dealers, if you have any spare pool pumps in your service deptartment...............a couple feet of spare vac hose, a few adapter fittings...........voila.............super tub drainer, this type of setup will drain a spa in about 10-15 mins tops!!

spaguyohio

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 09:43:00 am »
I want santa to bring me a holographic spatech, like the doctor was on Star trek Voyager. Just pop him out when need be to work on the spa ... lol ...

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 11:33:27 pm »
A drill, sump pump, allen wrenches, screw drivers, and a husband who can use them...LOL...

Spahappy :D

Hey, I'm a husband and I would rather not have that kind of pressure put on me!  :P
Measure once, cut twice.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Tools every spa owner should own
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 12:08:42 pm »
What about a bottle opener and a corkscrew?
Homeworks Financing Representative

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 12:55:22 pm »
I understand where you are coming form Stuart but do you think it is a good idea for spa owners to nose around there spa pack with a volt meter. How many spas you and I had to go behind a fix a mess the spa owner made. I tell them they can do whatever they want but do not open the equipment pack.

Most service tech do not know how to troubleshoot spas I sure do not want the owners making a mess of things.

Gary
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 06:44:43 pm by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 12:55:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42