What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st water change question  (Read 3526 times)

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
1st water change question
« on: December 04, 2004, 04:50:03 pm »
I have drained the tub today, wiped it down, spa glossed the upper half and it is refilling right now with hot water.

How soon can I get in the tub if the temp is ok?  My book says to add dichlor and wait overnight.  

The tub will be plenty hot tonight and I want to use it.

Should I add the dichlor and wait until tomorrow?  Or add the dichlor after I use the spa?

Advise appreciated.

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

1st water change question
« on: December 04, 2004, 04:50:03 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: 1st water change question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 05:07:57 pm »
I would add less chlorine, run the jets with the cover open awhile and use it about an hour later.

UnderTheStars

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 05:16:16 pm »
Just a rookie opinion, but if I were filling a tub that just got delivered (or has been sitting idle) I'd superchlorinate before using (water has been sitting in pipes.)  But if you've been using the spa & properly treating it, you should be ok to use it first then do the superchlorinate.

I agree with Stuart about having a low level of chlorine in there.  For my 400 gallon tub I'd put in 1/4 tsp & climb right in or 1/2 tsp and wait an hour (but I use chlorine & minerals.)  If someone climbing in with you brings something unwanted (say athlete's foot?) I'd like to have a little dichlor in the mix!
Stars

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 06:49:03 pm »
Way to go, Jonathan!  How 'bout that new water?  Great, huh?
I think bubba stu and UTS hit the nail on the head--the only thing I would do differently than UTS is to bring the chlorine level up between 3-5 ppm which, for your tub, is between 2-3 tsp.
Happy Spalidays! 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 07:02:49 pm »
I thought that my water was clear before but it is now totally crystal clear!  What a huge difference, it looks less, how do you say, thick?  Yeah the water thicker before the change.  Is that a good description?

I added 2 tsp of Spa Gaurd Enhanced Shock and ran it for 20 minutes with the cover open.  

Now just waiting for it to hit 101!

Thanks.

Jonathan

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 07:04:56 pm »
I thought that my water was clear before but it is now totally crystal clear!  What a huge difference, it looks less, how do you say, thick?  Yeah the water thicker before the change.  Is that a good description?

I added 2 tsp of Spa Gaurd Enhanced Shock and ran it for 20 minutes with the cover open.  

Now just waiting for it to hit 101!

Thanks.

Jonathan

Using Enhanced shock will allow you jump in sooner!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 07:11:44 pm »
I have drained the tub today, wiped it down, spa glossed the upper half and it is refilling right now with hot water.

How soon can I get in the tub if the temp is ok?  My book says to add dichlor and wait overnight.  

The tub will be plenty hot tonight and I want to use it.

At this point its basically the same water you shower and bathe in, its after you use it the first time that it might start getting yucky.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 12:13:38 am »
Ahhhhhh, just got out.

What a difference.  :o  

Fresh, pure, sparkling  ;D  8)  ;)

I wonder....in the next 4+ weeks, if I fill the spa with hot water at the same time that I'm draining it,
and if I keep the flow rates equal, if I did this for and hour or two, would that really freshen up the spa much like a water change?  ??? ??? ???

Jonathan

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 12:13:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42