What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hamilton Idex  (Read 3863 times)

matthewc

Hamilton Idex
« on: December 03, 2004, 02:59:19 pm »
I am still having problems balancing my PH and TA, but have recently seen a posting about Hamilton's Index. Does anyone use it to balance their tubs? According to it my Ph readings are more normal than the normal method.

My PH is always high 8+, and i constantly need to add TA plus. If i follow the index it sounds much easier to balance.

Matt

Hot Tub Forum

Hamilton Idex
« on: December 03, 2004, 02:59:19 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Hamilton Idex
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 03:18:38 pm »
The Hamilton index is the way to go - but before you go using the index, you must be sure you have accurate readings. This is best accomplished by taking a sample to a dealer, or using a good test kit.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

matthewc

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 03:25:40 pm »
Thanks Chas

I use a test strip and am fairly happy with the acurracy of the bromine and TA levels. The only one i have problems with is the colour of the PH pad, it always seems to be a washed out colour that doesn't match any of the colours on the tub perfectly. I am hoping that it is because it is above the highest value. But as you suggested i am intending on visiting a local supplier tomorrow to get a second opinion.

Matt

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 03:29:57 pm »
Get a better test kit. Some test strips suck. One brand I stopped selling recently had the exact problem even with 0 sanitizer. That said, you should be mindful of the effect sanitizer can have on other tests, strips or liquid. Cl/Br have the ability to bleach things. This includes test  strips and other reagents. A good test kit will include chlorine neutralizer allowing you greater accuracy in thoise situations.
Homeworks Financing Representative

matthewc

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 03:40:26 pm »
Thanks HotTubMan

Any advice on a good test strip that is avaliable in the UK? I use Bromine tablets for info.

Matt

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 03:43:28 pm »
We switched from BioLab strips to AquaCheck.

No idea if they are availible there, but they are the "original" test strip, reliable.

If accuracy is your goal get a Taylor Test kit.

matthewc

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 04:17:03 pm »
You know what, I think my test strips are Biolab as well. The tub doesn't have a name on it just a logo of a blue water drop with two white water drops within the blue one. Is this BioLab? If it is i think i will be changing makes.

Matt

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 04:31:13 pm »
BioLab makes chems, not tubs. Mot sure what kind of tub you are describing.

matthewc

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 04:36:47 pm »
Sorry I mean the tub that the test strips came in, not my hot tub.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 04:53:28 pm »
Mine don't look like you described. I have no ides if BioLab ses different packaging country to country.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 05:11:47 pm »
Sorry I mean the tub that the test strips came in, not my hot tub.

This is the Biolab logo, if it helps:
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 06:32:06 pm »
I'm not a fan of test strips but if you can get your hands on the Taylor book, maybe that can help. I believe that Taylor balances water based on the Hamilton Index.

If you switch to a reagent test kit, the Taylor 2005 kit has a water wheel to help you balance your water.

You mentioned that the colors aren't exact - if a reading is in between a color say PH of 7.3 and the strips (or reagent kit for that matter) reads a PH of 7.2 and 7.4, your not going to get an exact reading.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 06:32:44 pm by Vinny »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 10:08:45 am »
I'm not a fan of test strips but if you can get your hands on the Taylor book, maybe that can help. I believe that Taylor balances water based on the Hamilton Index.

If you switch to a reagent test kit, the Taylor 2005 kit has a water wheel to help you balance your water.

As Vinny mentions, the Taylor booklet and the Watergram (Vinny's "water wheel") is excellent.  I use it and it makes quick and accurate work of balancing water, IMHO.  It uses the Saturation Index (SI) which was developed from another index called the Langelier Index.  The Hamilton Index (HI) was also derived from the Langelier Index.  The differences between the two that I have seen are:  The SI uses 4 measures:  total alkalinity, calcium hardness, pH and temperature.  The HI uses 3 measures:  total alkalinity, total hardness (which is a measure that determines calcium hardness plus magnesium hardness) and pH.  Also, the Taylor kit only measures calcium hardness and regards magnesium hardness as unnecessary for water balancing.  This quote is from the Taylor booklets glossary:
Magnesium Hardness--A measure of the magnesium salts dissolved in water--not a factor in water balance.

8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 10:56:27 am »
WSD,

I forgot about the Langelier Index (LI) and thought the Hamilton index was the LI. I guess it's back to water care 101 for me ... now where's that dunce hat!

I just recently (past summer toward the end) started using the Watergram to make sure my pool water was still balanced. I am (was) using cal hypo for chlorine and shock and used it to adjust other parameters if needed!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 10:56:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42