What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Barely spa related  (Read 5152 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Barely spa related
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:22:04 am »
All of us need to use computers to access this forum to talk about spas.  Ok, now this is somewhat related to spas.  The picture below appeared in Popular Mechanics as projected what a home computer might look like 50 years in the future, or our present day.

Imagine if these guys were thinking about spas!

I think I've seen this computer in the mall doing hand writing analysis
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Barely spa related
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:22:04 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Barely spa related
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:45:48 am »
I love the steering wheel!

Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 11:50:53 am »
I love the steering wheel!

Brewman

I was looking at that myself and wondering what were they thinking?  Maybe we could steer the course of this discussion?   But what is with the dual wheel? Is that if you want to go one way and the other way at the same time, or is it just two size wheels tied together, one for most of us and one for Lori.

I also like the 1954 25" Black and white Admiral hanging on the wall. I bet they had to hollow out that beast before the wall would hold it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 11:52:28 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 12:02:28 pm »
I've seen this picture before, and believe it is a fake, with the television in the right corner being added, and a keyboard on the printer being added.  The original picture was a museum mock-up or something..

I'll try and find the snopes link and post it.

found it:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

So, now, the analogy would be:

Look at how dishonest spa manufacturers try and copy new technology to make their spa's look complicated and cutting edge but only succeed in selling 1950's technology to unwitting customers. 8)

-Ed
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 12:05:48 pm by ebirrane »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 12:15:51 pm »
Wow,  am I humiliated!  8)  I'm always annoying my friends who send me that kind of stuff and I debunk it with just a little research.   But this came from an IT professional friend of mine.  Boy does he owe me.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 12:15:56 pm »
Look at how dishonest spa manufacturers try and copy new technology to make their spa's look complicated and cutting edge but only succeed in selling 1950's technology to unwitting customers. 8)

-Ed

So what you're saying, Ed, is that this suposed state of the art computer is just a third rate computer with some tin foil and a fan slapped on to invalidate the computers ETL or UL listing?
Brewman
Brewman

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 12:38:54 pm »

I was looking at that myself and wondering what were they thinking?  Maybe we could steer the course of this discussion?   But what is with the dual wheel? Is that if you want to go one way and the other way at the same time, or is it just two size wheels tied together, one for most of us and one for Lori.

I also like the 1954 25" Black and white Admiral hanging on the wall. I bet they had to hollow out that beast before the wall would hold it.

ROTFL!!!!   ;D

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 01:41:08 pm »
 :D

-Ed

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 01:46:12 pm »

So what you're saying, Ed, is that this suposed state of the art computer is just a third rate computer with some tin foil and a fan slapped on to invalidate the computers ETL or UL listing?
Brewman

The steering wheel is actually a DAIT releif valve. This is only found on the early models.
Homeworks Financing Representative

huh?

• "42"
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 08:02:30 pm »
My favorite line: "The scientist readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work..."  and you said this wasn't spa related.  At least it seems that way sometimes. :D
¿

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 08:09:55 pm »
Good research there. It's not even a computer afterall but is rather a mock up of a Nuclear sub control room.  Hmm, Does that mean that in 50 years, we may all own a small nuclear sub ourselves?  Twilight zone... here we come. We are the HT forum guys, hear us call...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Dr_Eclat

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 08:12:44 pm »
This looks just like my home computer, except mine is green  with purple striping.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 09:52:14 pm »
So who do you believe?
wmccall's source or snopes.com??  Or did the Smithonian steel RAND's model?

Come on - when's the last time you saw a steering wheel like that on a nuclear sub?
e

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 10:09:20 pm »
Hahaha, GE made a ship control system that looked something like that. That would be the engine room wheel that corresponds to the topside wheel so when the helmsman makes a bridge adjustment the engine room tracked it. What was really funny was that on the inside of the panel was only a 1 inch diameter potentiometer connected to the big wheel. In ancient times the wheel was connected under the deck with rods and universals to the actual valves that required some effort to turn. The gages would have the volts, amps, watts etc for the generators and the commands and data as things went in and out of alarm would be printed out on what GE used to make at Waynesboro, VA plant, some sort of clone of the IBM Selectric. (I think they were called Terminet and were line printers for those of you who know) These were called the bell logger to log the speed and directions commands and the alarm logger. I don't remember them having monitors but maybe this is Super Custom model. Oh, it was called COS or Central Onboard System if I am remembering correctly. Wow, from the way back machine deluxe!

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 12:43:20 am »
Wow, FORTRAN!  Anyone remember COBOL?

:P
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 12:43:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42