What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Christmas Lights  (Read 5186 times)

shoemaker

Christmas Lights
« on: December 02, 2004, 01:19:54 pm »
Hey does anyone out there put Christmas lights in the area where the tub is?

My wife wants to "Decorate" and I thought it would look tacky !

8)

Hot Tub Forum

Christmas Lights
« on: December 02, 2004, 01:19:54 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Christmas Lights
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 01:27:32 pm »
Hey does anyone out there put Christmas lights in the area where the tub is?

My wife wants to "Decorate" and I thought it would look tacky !

8)

Tacky? Not at all. I think you should add one of those singing Santas near the spa as well. Also, when people come over to use the spa you could put the "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" song on a loop and crank your stereo for them.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

shoemaker

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:36:56 pm »

Tacky? Not at all. I think you should add one of those singing Santas near the spa as well. Also, when people come over to use the spa you could put the "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" song on a loop and crank your stereo for them.

Hey, I like that !!

I'll suggest it to the little woman !  Thanks for your help.

:P

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 01:45:48 pm »
Our friends put rope lights around their tub, and that looks nice.  Plus, less chance of electrocution.

If you have steps, rope lights make good "under-step" accent lights, too.  Weave a long rope light under the 2 or 3 steps, wrapping black electrical tape around and part of the rope light you don't want seen and wah-lah, cheapo outdoor accents.

_Ed

shoemaker

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 01:50:21 pm »
Our friends put rope lights around their tub, and that looks nice.  Plus, less chance of electrocution.

If you have steps, rope lights make good "under-step" accent lights, too.  Weave a long rope light under the 2 or 3 steps, wrapping black electrical tape around and part of the rope light you don't want seen and wah-lah, cheapo outdoor accents.

_Ed

Ya know, you're not helping the situation here. The idea is to make her not decorate !

LOL    J/K !   ;D

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 02:21:17 pm »

Ya know, you're not helping the situation here. The idea is to make her not decorate !

LOL    J/K !   ;D

There is nothing more tacky than having x-mas lights around your tub, what a horrible idea.  8)

(is that better SHOE?, I can edit this part out for you if you approve......) ;)
Homeworks Financing Representative

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 03:57:57 pm »

Hey, I like that !!

I'll suggest it to the little woman !  Thanks for your help.

:P

My wife found one of those projectors that show different christmas scenes, maybe I'll project that onto the underside of the cover when it is up on the lifter.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 04:54:00 pm »
We have christmas lites around the spa, but not on the spa itself.  I don't much care for the whole christmas lite thing, it keeps creeping bigger and bigger every year.
But SWMBO insists upon them, so up they go!

I like the idea of the rope accent lites around the spa, though.  Does anyone know if they come in a multi color very slowly changing format?  That may make an interesting contrast with the LED spa lite.
Brewman
Brewman

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 08:02:26 pm »
Christmas lights are 110v, right? Isn't that an electrical  hazard that would violate some laws? It's not like the christmas lights would have a GFCI on them, is it? I mean, you don't want someone to trip on the strand and do a header into the tub, right?

Better?
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 08:55:05 pm »
Plug them into a GFI-protected outlet, and you'll be fine.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 09:07:18 pm »
Chas brought up with the home defibrillator the other day - this could work too!

Just take the end light off and keep the wires bare and any time you need a jolt ...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 11:40:48 pm »
Yeah, they did that to a dog in the movie "There's Something About Mary", and if I recall, the pooch shot right out the window!

Brewman

PS- I dont' know when the requirement to have outdoor outlets be GFI protected went into affect, but all of the ones we have are GFI outlets.   I'm sure this rule goes back at least a decade or two.
Brewman

BobRex

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 10:12:25 am »
Ouside GFCI protection is roughly a decade old.  I built my first house in 1986, the bathrooms had GFCI but not the outside.  My second house, built in 1996, has GFCI for all possible "wet" outlets.

I agree with Brewman, strings upon strings of lights looks tacky.  Disney World had/has? a donated display of over a million bulbs.  You wanna talk about tacky!

Stick to candles in the windows.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 11:18:17 am »
Here in CA they have an annoying way of wiring to allow GFI protection. The put one GFI into a bathroom, and then feed all the other outlets which need protection from that one unit. This means that almost all outdoor outlets and all other bathroom outlets will be on the same circuit as the first bathroom. This may include garage outlets, other than a dedicated washer/dryer outlet.

Which means that as soon as you fire up the blowdrier while your plug-in tub is heating, you're goin down.

Is it that way in the strange areas of the country and Canada as well?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 02:23:31 pm »
Our first house, built in 1989, had outdoor outlets that were tied to the bathroom GFI.  So were the garage outlets.  So one day after a strong rainstorm our bathroom gfi kept popping.  I eventually figured out, sleuth that I am, that water was leaking into the electric outlet box in the backyard outlets.  That was tripping the bathroom GFI.  What a cheap way to save a few bucks.  

Our new place, built about 5 years ago, has GFI outlets more logically placed.  The bathroom ones only control bathroom outlets, the kitchen ones only kitchen, etc..

It is amazing what a home builder will do to strip a buck out of a job.

Brewman
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 02:23:31 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42