What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Test Kits  (Read 9555 times)

nicker

Test Kits
« on: November 26, 2004, 08:47:49 am »
I am curios as to what people use for test kits.  I use a simple just dip and copare test kits, one that just tests Clorine/Alk/PH.    I like the ease of use of it but would like somthing that could test more.  What is the best one that is still some what easy to use?  Some seem that they would be so complicating.....add water then add drops of this and that and stand on one foot and jump around whild doing circles in a clockwise manner!!! ( just kidding of course on this).  But what is easy and tests allot of stuff.  Such as total disovles, water hardness, cyranic acid etc.

thanks very much

Hot Tub Forum

Test Kits
« on: November 26, 2004, 08:47:49 am »

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
Re: Test Kits
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 09:12:14 am »
Alot of the people on this fourm use the Taylor test kit, I and others, use a test kit from Walmart.  It test for the same things: ph, alk, calcium, cya, cholrine/bromine.  The walmart cost me $15 as compared to the $50 for the Taylors.  The tests are not that complicated and it is better to get accurate results for what condition your tub is in than not.  I do use the test strips but only as a ballpark figure guide.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 09:39:10 am »
The Taylor test kit will show Free Chlorine (FC) and Total Chlorine (TC) where the Walmart will only show total. If you keep up on the water care, it doesn't really matter.

It only becomes a problem when the combined chlorine (CC) is too high.

The other things that the Taylor 2005 kit will do is test the alkalinity, calcium, PH and stablizer level. I don't know if the Walmart kit will do all those tests.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:20:37 am »
I have used Guardex test kits for a couple of decades now. I don't think they are any better or worse than the Taylor kits - but I am familiar with them and I know they work.

The one you want for a home spa is usually the blue one (OTO), the red one (DPD) would be for commercial pool/spas but it also is handy for people who have trouble reading the colors on the typical OTO kit. They also have a "Professional Kit" which adds copper and iron testing ability.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 06:40:38 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 12:37:17 pm »
The Taylor test kit will show Free Chlorine (FC) and Total Chlorine (TC) where the Walmart will only show total. If you keep up on the water care, it doesn't really matter.

It only becomes a problem when the combined chlorine (CC) is too high.

The other things that the Taylor 2005 kit will do is test the alkalinity, calcium, PH and stablizer level. I don't know if the Walmart kit will do all those tests.

My Walmart kit tests Alkalinity, Calcium, Ph, and CYA, in addition to the Chlorine or Bromine.  
Brewman
Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 01:21:34 pm »
Brewman;

I think Vinny's point was that the Taylor kit checks total and availible sanitizer, where your kit likely only shows availible sanitizer. It is the variance between the two tests that dictates the need for shocking and how much product is needed.

HTM
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 03:46:19 pm »
I have a problem with Wal-Mart in general but specifically for spa and pool products.

Wal-Mart is a huge downfall of US business in general due to the fact that they seem to care more about cutting cost than bringing in quality so they go overseas for less regulated, cheaper, less quality products. With the mass overseas production that they have they have shut down most of the major US television manufactures in addition to large companies like RubberMaid and others. Most of the products they have sat on a self way to long, don't have the training support to help the customer after the sale and are typically only available seasonal.

Here's the scenario, you buy a test kit from Wal-Mart and save a couple bucks but take the business away from your dealer, then you go to your dealer and have them show you how to use the kit properly and get advice how to adjust the water. After the dealer teaches you water maintenance you think that because you saved a few bucks on the kit then you should be able to buy the chemicals from Wal-Mart cheaper also. The price difference from your dealer takes into account the extra training and support you will get from them so they don't charge a "consulting fee", now they haven't made any money and had to pay for customer support. If this continues the dealer will go away, Wal-Mart will beef up their spa division until they find it doesn't have enough profit when it's done in a "big box" fashion so they decide to no longer carry spas, chemicals and accessories. Now you have no dealer, no place to by products so owning a spa becomes a hassle.

Don’t let our American industry be crippled by supporting Wal-mart! Demand better service and support then pay what’s fair from a professional in the industry. Every time you buy from Wal-Mart you cripple American jobs and support industry growth in china.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but this is a huge sore spot for me……

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 03:47:02 pm »
The one I have says: "Your test kit will indicate both free and combined chlorine. The free chlorine reading is indicated in the first part of the test, and total chlorine (free and combined) in the second part. Subtract the free chlorine reading from the total chlorine reading to obtain the combined chlorine reading."  

The kit is made by Aqua Chem.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 05:37:48 pm »
Interesting, Walmart here in Jersey sells HTH kits and Kmart sells Aqua Chem. The HTH kits don't test one of the parameters (I don't remember which one).

As far as the Aqua Chem (I used this before the Taylor), the ones here are the OTO kits, which can't differentiate between FC and TC. Although I did use it for 2 years for my pool, I found the Taylor is just as easy and seems to give me readings where the Aqua Chem didn't (calcium).

Stuart, if I buy something at Walmart or Kmart, I wouldn't think of asking a dealer to show me how to use it. Also, I will say that the information given by some dealers is worthless. I went to my local pool and spa place when I was a newbie pool owner for info about the stabilizer level in my pool (it was about 100 PPM) and was told that it's not at all too high, don't worry about it.

I agree on your feelings about Walmart vs the small business but we all need to economize when applicable. I went to that same store and bought algaecide and paid $24 for a quart and went to Walmart and bought the HTH brand for $13. Now I will say that I typically buy my pool chems at Leslie's Pool Supply (their local store - not internet).  My tub dealer is about 30 minutes away (a little too far for a chem run) and I don't know about her chemical prices but I was planning on supporting Doc when buying my chemicals - he may not be local but he has great prices on a lot of items and I would be supporting a business that I've "used" (his website).

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 05:47:01 pm »
Vinny,
Wal-mart does buy at a much bigger volume than any dealer in the country and can get a better price on something’s however they cannot buy many specialty products as they are proprietary to dealers.

Algaecide is one of the chemicals that I would not buy from them only because in our area they store all of their chemicals outside in the garden area where they are susceptible to freezing and overheating. This can render many chemicals less effective or useless. I do agree with you however that we need to raise the bar for knowledge level and customer service at many dealers across the country. You reap what you sow and if you give good customer service you get good customers in return.......

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 06:46:36 pm »
The local dealers in my area are trying to get together a buying group so we can buy direct from the manufacturer and split the shipment up amongst our stores. We have been talking about his for a long time - but every time we get to the part where we all have to write the check, somebody gets cold feet.

Any dealers outside of SoCal interested?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 07:00:59 pm »
Along with what Stu said, don't mass merchant chemical products have alot of fillers in them and you have to use more to get the same job done?

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 07:16:31 pm »
Don’t let our American industry be crippled by supporting Wal-mart! Demand better service and support then pay what’s fair from a professional in the industry. Every time you buy from Wal-Mart you cripple American jobs and support industry growth in china.

Sorry to go off on a tangent but this is a huge sore spot for me……

I feel your pain stuart (as I'm sure most others do).

It's hard for folks to spend that extra 15 to 100% to support the local businessman. Unfortunately Wal-mart is only one small piece of the problem. "American industry" is thriving as a result of "big-box" stores, internet stores, offshore manufacturing and offshore labor - this has become our nation's "new capitalism" Other examples: Security... nowadays it's an American owned company with digital cameras made overseas connected to the internet and watched 24hours a day by many overseas employees. Tech industry...  has seen a mass exodus of helpdesk, tech-support, quality assurance and even development to newfound offices opened in India... the list goes on...

American Industry continues to thrive at the expense of American jobs. I imagine it won't be long before it's cost effective to completely manufacture spas and chemicals overseas. Soon the American workforce will consist of only 3 job titles... executive, laborer or unemployed.

Sorry to add to the tangent but it poked a festering wound. :-/
e

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 10:43:35 pm »
Today I went to my local mom and pop hardware store and found the same test kit that walmart sells for $15.00 on their shelf for $13.00.  I was more than happy to purchase this kit from my local small business.  Now, if I could only figure out how to actually read the results.  rOFL

Elle

steve771

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 11:11:03 pm »
I think a lot of the Walmart phenomenon has to do with today's society.  We are all in a hurry and it is the easy way out.   Plus, I don't mind a small premium, but I'm not going to pay double.  Sorry, not going to happen, and I think you will find most feel that way (or else, Walmart would already be out of business).   But I would never have the gall to ask a dealer how to use something I bought there.

I do a lot of internet shopping for the very reasons above.  It is just evolution of the business model.  You can step in front of the train if you want, but it will just run you over.

As far as TV's, it wasn't Walmart, as TV's have been overseas items for a long time.  It was no regulation and shoddy workmanship, IMHO.  Cars are another example.  Detroit nearly got it's doors blown off by the Japanese until they wised up (but I think they are getting complacent again).

I think it comes down to fair competition and competent service at a fair price.  Give me that, and I'll buy from you.

(Wooo baby, did this thread lose focus!  Sorry)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 11:11:36 pm by steve771 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 11:11:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42