What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dichlor or Bromine  (Read 7949 times)

nicker

Dichlor or Bromine
« on: November 25, 2004, 04:19:56 pm »
I am curious as to what the differences are in using Bromine vs Dichlor?

I currently use Dichlor.  I don't mind it nor have I had any problems with it.  I typically add a tbs after every second use (unless there is a bunch of people in then I at it after each use).    The only thing I don't like is now that its winter and COLD is having to add the dichlor and let the tub run for another 10 minutes + before shutting the cover (energy waster). Is bromine better and less maintence.   Just fill the dispenser every so often.

My neighbour has a tub (I have never spoken to him) but i never see him add stuff after they use their tub.  Just get out shut the cover and done!

I would like to hear from those of you that have used both and what they like and dislike about each.  It seems more people have switched over from Bromine to Dichlor.

THanks in advance for all your comments.

Hot Tub Forum

Dichlor or Bromine
« on: November 25, 2004, 04:19:56 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Dichlor or Bromine
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 04:29:17 pm »
First off bromine is availible in granular form just like the dichlor. Baqua's Brilliance and SpaGuard's Brominating concentrate are two examples. One advantage here would be that you do not need to monitor your cyranic acid levels like you do with dichlor. One disadvantage is that you cannot use mineral systems like Vision or Nature II with bromine.

Before using any pucks, bromine or tri-chlor consult your manual/warranty/manufacturer. Some warranties, such as D-1's, state that you should not use slow dissolving sanitizers (pucks).

Even if it does not prohibit pucks, consider this: Although pucks may seem more convenient, puck users do tend to replace hard covers more often. (Chas will be surprised I said this)

Why? Without proper monitoring your sanitizer levels may reach break-point and begin to oxidize. This oxidizing will damge the cover and pillows. This tends to happen when life gets busy. You slow down on your soaking and the sanitizer does not get used up. Because you are busy, you dont think to reduce the flow from your feeder or remove it.

MTC

HotTubMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

nicker

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 04:38:17 pm »
What is Cyranic Acid?      I test my Clorine, PH, ALK and bring in water sample every now and then to my dealer to be tested.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 04:39:17 pm »
I like dichlor more because I don't have to soak in the sanitizer.  My regimen includes a little dichlor after each soak.  By the time I soak again, dichlor levels are down, water is sanitized.  With bromine and other sanitizers, a residual must be maintained for sanitary effectiveness.....and you have to soak in that residual.....not a problem in most instances but a necessary evil occurance if using residual based sanitizers.... :)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 04:48:38 pm »
What is Cyranic Acid?      I test my Clorine, PH, ALK and bring in water sample every now and then to my dealer to be tested.

It is also known as stabilizer. In pools it acts as "sunscreen" for your chlorine. Dichlor contains cyranic acid. Your dealer can test for this on request. Keep the level below 100. As the level goes up over time, it can influence your TA readings as well. I would recommend a better test kit or regular visits to the dealer as their computerized software can factor this into TA calculations.

What WSD did not mention is the ionizer he uses. Without one I would not recommend soaking w/o at least some sanitizer. I have seen too many cases of pseudomonos filiculitis to endorse that. Most customers I have seen suffer this infection after buying a tub with no water care guidance or out right lying (see Gulf Coast "chemical free" spas)

HTM

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 04:59:11 pm »
..ok, you got me..

what is pseudomonos filiculitis ?

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 05:10:33 pm »
..ok, you got me..

what is pseudomonos filiculitis ?

Jc

Firstly, I am no spelling champ: pseudomonas folliculitis

Check out this site:
http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic356.htm
or
http://www.fpnotebook.com/DER101.htm

There are actually several sites with info. In a nutshell, this infection of the hair folicle occurs when individuals spend time in unsanitized water. The result is a rash in several areas of the body, tyoically where the epodermus is thin ie. around the knees, elbows, sides of torso etc.

Typically I diagnose this when one person (usually one of the parents, the one with the more sensitive skin, the kids aren't affected because they have genes from both sides) in a family breaks out in a rash. The recovery usually involves at least 8 weeks without tubbin' and sometimes doctors prescribe antibiotics either topical or for ingestion.

We have over 1500 water care customers, I have seen 5-10 cases in the last year.

HTM
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 05:11:48 pm by HotTubMan »

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 05:15:15 pm »
...which naturally leads to the question...

Is this in any way related/similar to 'Legionairres' disease?

For a hot-tub forum it seems interesting that this topic doesn't hasn't arisen

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 05:21:07 pm »

Jc

I have heard of this disease. I know nothing about it. I have never come accross it.

HTM

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 05:26:25 pm »

Jc

Just did some reading on line, I see no corrolation or similair symptoms or causes.

Legionaires disease come from inhaling a vapour. his seems much more serious and results in fever and pnemonia like symptoms.

Pseudomonas folliculitis enters through the hair folicle. Worst symptom is a rash.

HTM

« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 05:35:12 pm by HotTubMan »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 07:08:53 am »
Leigionaires is most times asociated with bacteria in duct work of heating or cooling systems spread out in an office building. Most times the bacteria never bothers anyone but once in a while it overwhelms a weak immune system. I always though the name came from say an old leigions club bar with a bad ventilation system but I highly dout that.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 08:03:20 am »
but once in a while it overwhelms a weak immune system. I always though the name came from say an old leigions club bar with a bad ventilation system but I highly dout that.

If memory serves, it got its name from a convention of Legionaires in Philadelphia where a large number of guest became sick, I think a couple died, from an uknown illness that was later traced to the duct works of that hotel.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

windsurfdog

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 08:28:08 am »
What WSD did not mention is the ionizer he uses. Without one I would not recommend soaking w/o at least some sanitizer. I have seen too many cases of pseudomonos filiculitis to endorse that.

Yo HTM,

Happy Day after Thanksgiving.

I do use an ionizer and ozone but I thought that raising free chlorine levels to 3-5 ppm after soaking would sanitize the tub and dissipate leaving the water sanitized and relatively sanitizer free whether one used an ionizer and ozone or not.  Certainly the added minerals would have a positive effect but I consider it rather secondary to the chlorine effectiveness.  

Comments?
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 10:03:59 am »
I assume that ionizer+ozone is waht allows you to soak sanitizer free. We do not have ionizers here in the great white north, so I have to speculate somewhat.

I do know that in each case of pseudomonus I have encoutered the customer had a history of water tests with 0 br/cl and most often admits to ignoring/forgetting to buy more sanitizer for some period of time.

I should also add that the 3 tubs here at the store always have some bromine in them. The two tubs with 24/hr ozone require addditions of bromine less often than the other tub. My point is that hot water will breed bacteria. There is a need for something to neutralize this stuff between uses whether it be an ionizer, ozone or sanitizer.

HTM
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 10:07:00 am by HotTubMan »

windsurfdog

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 02:32:14 pm »
I assume that ionizer+ozone is waht allows you to soak sanitizer free. We do not have ionizers here in the great white north, so I have to speculate somewhat.

I do know that in each case of pseudomonus I have encoutered the customer had a history of water tests with 0 br/cl and most often admits to ignoring/forgetting to buy more sanitizer for some period of time.

I should also add that the 3 tubs here at the store always have some bromine in them. The two tubs with 24/hr ozone require addditions of bromine less often than the other tub. My point is that hot water will breed bacteria. There is a need for something to neutralize this stuff between uses whether it be an ionizer, ozone or sanitizer.

HTM

HTM,
I do have Master Spas' mineral filters (which I believe is the ionizer to which you refer--can't use those in Canada?) and ozone.  I guess my point is that I feel I could take both of these away and add chlorine after each soak to a 3-5 ppm level, allow it to sanitize and dissipate, and safely avoid the pseudos while soaking in relatively sanitizer free water.  I don't see mineral ions or ozone as being a necessity--only a bonus--for healthy water if chlorine is introduced after soaking.  If I am off base, please correct me.  I do feel that mineral and ozone introduction help in extended times when the tub is not being used and sanitized, but, under daily/bi-daily/tri-daily use, I would think the chlorine alone would be sufficient.
Thanks for your valued thoughts..... 8)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2004, 02:32:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42