What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for dealers and customers.  (Read 6170 times)

mhraracing

Question for dealers and customers.
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:18:38 pm »
Dealers - What is the #1 reason  a customer buys a Spa from your dealership ??

Customers - What was the main reason you bought your spa from your dealership ??

As I stated in my other post - the number one reason we went with the Caldera Geneva Utopia - was the Service aspect - knowing that our dealer will be there when/if we need them to be.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks ?
Caldera Geneva Utopia

Hot Tub Forum

Question for dealers and customers.
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:18:38 pm »

salesdvl

Re: Question for dealers and customers.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 09:33:04 pm »

The reason people buy from me obviously is my incredible charm and sophisticated sense of humor.  ;)

ok ok maybe not but ................ may be.
Measure once, cut twice.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 09:46:42 pm »

Relationship selling. Making the customer comfortable and listening to what they want. Not up selling them or giving them poor information. Reducing the confusion associated with this purchase and keeping it simple. By not over-promising and under-delivering. The sale doesn't happen until the customer has our product and we earn their trust and business over a period of years.

If we've done it correctly, they will tell 10 friends and so on. A good spa dealership should do 50% or more of their business on referrals once established.

Great question mh and congrats on the purchase of your new spa.

Steve

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:07:39 pm »
The main reason that I bought from the dealership was that they had a lot of tubs to look at, hot spring, tiger river and I think Jacuzzi. There were at least 6-8 tubs filled. Then there were the other two stores that were  pool stores, one had two tubs filled and the second ( beachcomber) was opening a new store but they were very nice to bring us over to their new store to show us the beachcombers that they had set up.

Traveling for me is key, I don't have time to travel over 20 miles for chemicals every couple of months. So that is why I did not venture to the Nashua, Amherst area of NH where I know they have a lot of dealerships.

Then, I have had friends who bought from the same dealer as I, and they were happy. I guess you could say that there was some charm involved, since we were offered a tub at a good price.
Jan :D
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:12:56 pm »

Okay, this isnt the answer youre looking for, but in all fairness, its the truth. I am only wading into retail as a part of my business, so Im probably not the ideal 'dealer' to answer this--- But this is my opinon...

Most customers buy a spa from me (and other dealers) to fill an emotional or egotistical desire rather than a genuine 'need'. A small percentage actually buy a spa because they actually require it for physical therapy  uses (I estimate that number to be about 3-5%).

If you listen closely to the sales patter, most dealers will lead the conversation into the realm of imagining the spa in your yard, imagining how the spa will 'feel', offer the idea that the spa is a place to 'connect' with your significant others, and will otherwise improve your life.... They sell you ideas,...seldom do they ever sell the spa as a 'need', or a life necessity. All those things are an emotional appeal and pretty well quantify the reason why people buy a luxury item like a spa.

Things like customer service, after-the-sale support, company longevity, product reliabilty, and a dealer's trustworthiness are all valued attributes of a professional retailer-- but arent the true reason why people buy a spa... Case in point- people are sold on spas and hot tubs through the internet daily as a life improvement product without assurances that they will be served after the product shows up...

And in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. A customer doesnt need justification for buying a product that they want, and dont necessarily need. But, I think its intellectually dishonest to say that a prospect buys a product like this by virtue of a genuine need or the trustworthiness of a particular dealer.

poolboy34

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 11:33:25 pm »
Most of our customers same the same things.........incredible product compared to our competition (Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Sundance, Saratoga, and Beachcomber), and dealer confidence based on our reputation for customer service before, during and after the sale.  It's simple really..............take care of your customers, and sell a top notch product.

Jason,
Store manager for a D-1 and Caldera Dealer

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 08:43:19 am »
"Take care of the customer and the business will take care of itself." - Ray Crok
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:54:05 am »
Besides the fact that I think I got a good tub at a good price,  the dealer seemed honest and knowledgeable. It is a family run business and it seemed that customer service is what they are all about. They only sell hot tubs and I figured that if the've been in business for a while, they must be doing something right.

spaguyohio

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 09:50:47 am »
Well I bought from my dealer because it was a fun experience. I had looked at others - some I get help, ohters got too much help, and some just didnt bother. Salesman went back to reading newspaper (owner's son so wont get fired).

I had about given up when we popped into a local place not far from the house. The owner was there, and we joked around a lot about weather, etc then got into the spa itself. It was a very pleasant buying experience, no pressure. I asked what happens if I dont buy today? "Well someone else will Im sure." He left us to think about it, and then it was ok lets write it up (they did have to do a cabinet swap) and it was delivered few days later. Ive since sent several others in to buy from these folks and all are very happy.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 11:18:34 am »
1. Referrals
2. Service
3. Product/Price
4. Brand (specifically Coleman)

Homeworks Financing Representative

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 12:21:54 pm »
I bought my spa from my dealer because...a) I like the manufacturers they carry, Sundance and HotSpring...b) They have been in business almost as long as Sundance and HotSpring...c) They have an excellent service reputation...d)  They have a store located fairly close to my home.

mhraracing

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 08:24:34 pm »

Okay, this isnt the answer youre looking for, but in all fairness, its the truth. I am only wading into retail as a part of my business, so Im probably not the ideal 'dealer' to answer this--- But this is my opinon...

Most customers buy a spa from me (and other dealers) to fill an emotional or egotistical desire rather than a genuine 'need'. A small percentage actually buy a spa because they actually require it for physical therapy  uses (I estimate that number to be about 3-5%).

If you listen closely to the sales patter, most dealers will lead the conversation into the realm of imagining the spa in your yard, imagining how the spa will 'feel', offer the idea that the spa is a place to 'connect' with your significant others, and will otherwise improve your life.... They sell you ideas,...seldom do they ever sell the spa as a 'need', or a life necessity. All those things are an emotional appeal and pretty well quantify the reason why people buy a luxury item like a spa.

Things like customer service, after-the-sale support, company longevity, product reliabilty, and a dealer's trustworthiness are all valued attributes of a professional retailer-- but arent the true reason why people buy a spa... Case in point- people are sold on spas and hot tubs through the internet daily as a life improvement product without assurances that they will be served after the product shows up...

And in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. A customer doesnt need justification for buying a product that they want, and dont necessarily need. But, I think its intellectually dishonest to say that a prospect buys a product like this by virtue of a genuine need or the trustworthiness of a particular dealer.

Interesting way to look at the purchase of a spa.

I agree that most spa purchases are made by a person's own wants and desires rather than need - but in my own personal buying experience - not one salesperson tried to sell me a spa based on a creative 'dream' effect. I had plenty of people speak poorly of  their competition - none of which got my business - but not one person tried to create a backyard oasis by closing my eyes and dreaming.

Very interesting aspect that I never thought of.

Keep your thoughts coming - I think this question will not only help the customers, but it will give the dealers an insight as to what their customers are looking for.

D
Caldera Geneva Utopia

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 11:07:55 pm »
It usually comes down to the sales person.  Friendly, not pushy, relational, HONEST, caring, smells good,
good hair, no bad breathe, etc.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 11:18:41 am »
It usually comes down to the sales person.  Friendly, not pushy, relational, HONEST, caring, smells good,
good hair, no bad breathe, etc.

Well I guess that means you wouldn't get one from Salesdvl..   ;D

(payback for the stuttering comment..)

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 11:26:44 am »
I chose my dealer because they had been in business 30+ years (although, the other 2 dealers I looked at had been in business 20+ years).  The salesman was friendly, helpful, available, and generally a really nice guy.  (Although, all of the sales people I dealt with were friendly, helpful, available, and generally nice people.)  None of the dealers I talked to trashed the competition, they were all happy that I was doing my homework and checking out all of my options.

Of course, my dealer doesn't sell hot tubs anymore!  They still take care of me, in terms of service issues.  I've only had one (with the cover) and it was resolved quickly!

I didn't find a dealer I wouldn't have bought from.  I had to go on the tubs themselves!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 11:26:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42