What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pitchin' Hot Tubs!  (Read 4271 times)

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
Pitchin' Hot Tubs!
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:00:44 am »
I think that the difference between a canned product 'pitch' and a guided conversation is quite obvious.  While I prefer the guided conversation, I also realize that it is extremely beneficial to present the strengths of the brand(s) and models represented in your store.  At any rate, my question is for dealers/salespeople as well as consumers.  Here goes:

Do you prefer the pitch or a more interactive conversation?  To pitch or not to pitch... that is the question.

Hot Tub Forum

Pitchin' Hot Tubs!
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:00:44 am »

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
Re: Pitchin' Hot Tubs!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 11:22:13 am »
You really need to be careful not to injure your back when youre pitching spas... :P

I recently had a discussion with one of the dealers about this topic and I'd warned her that what she was doing may be turning off prospects. She finally agreed with me as she could see a visible difference in a prospects face once she started her spiel.

This dealer had a 15 minute presentation memorized that was largely comprised of the manufacters talking points- I had the opportunity on more than one occasion to see this in action and just by watching the prospect it was clear it wasnt working.

The prospects body language told the tale. The prospects body language became tight or closed- arms folded in defiance. While the customer nodded as the presentation continued, they shifted from foot to foot, apparently resisting the urge to walk away. In almost every instance you could see a visible transformation in their expression- Kinda like from this,... :)  to   :-/

In my opinion, theres no reason for salespeople to pitch a product- even a brochure can pitch a product. The real salesperson though, has to know how to close- and a peice of paper cant do that.

Chaser1

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 11:28:22 am »
I feel you will never earn your customers business without finding out what their inner most desires are which if you do not earn their trust you do not become business parteners.  Spas are a luxury item most people that purchase spas will not buy from a used car dealer type sells person, which would be all pitch all of the time.  By becoming their friend-meaning that you find out their needs you could customize your pitch to their needs not every little detail of the spa which becomes blah blah blah..... to some  cusomter.

Study the art of conversation, ask them questions find their needs and like they say be a detective like Joe columbo not an interrogator like Joe Friday.

poolboy34

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 11:36:04 am »
OK, I'm pretty sure Chas and the other watkins dealers will agree with me when i say watkins approach to sales is the best.  They don't have a spiel, they teach us to let the customer tells us what's important to them in having a spa...etc...  Now when you combine that with D-1's more technical approach, it's an awesome combination, and also gives us as salespeople a greater confidence in our products.  I would definilty say that Watkins approach and training seminars hit a home-run.  And the best part of what they teach you is that you can apply it to anything you are selling, not just spas.  Plus they don't bash ANY of their competition during their sales seminars.

Conversational technique is way better, plus you then have your Technical stuff to really back-up your points.

Cgar

• Havanas and hot tubs... a match made in heaven.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 11:39:37 am »
OK, I'm pretty sure Chas and the other watkins dealers will agree with me when i say watkins approach to sales is the best.  

Is that a pitch poolboy34?   ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 11:42:49 am by Cgar »

Chaser1

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 11:41:31 am »
looks like a pithch to me

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 11:42:02 am »
I have never liked the canned speech.  I think of myself as a conversationalist not a salesman.
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 12:21:07 pm »
OK, I'm pretty sure Chas and the other watkins dealers will agree with me when i say watkins approach to sales is the best.  Conversational technique is way better, plus you then have your Technical stuff to really back-up your points.

Yup. I have the benefit of knowing the tubs inside out from years as a warranty tech, so I can answer any question that comes up. But I don't 'rattle off' talking points - more of a conversation.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 12:37:59 pm »
Having gone through all the Hot Spring/Watkins training ( advanced sales master/ top gun/ sales manager ) I would agree that they have an excellent approach.  Most manufacturers sell the dealer their stuff and the dealer is on their own to figure out how to sell it.
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 06:55:56 pm »
fellow Top Gunner!!

What's your handle?

Mine's  - uh - Chas.....

They didn't say we HAD to be creative....
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 07:04:02 pm »
Salesdvl,

And can you conversationalize. WOW!!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 07:59:01 pm »
I don't think anyone likes a "Pitch" except a baseball player, however, a well planned presentation is greatly appreciated. I love it when shopping for a big ticket item and the salesman is not all over the board but gives me a well planned, thought out presentation that leads me through their product in an understandable, sensible maner.

There is an old saying that says, "Tell them what your going to sell them, sell them, then tell them what you sold them".  Here's an example;
Tell them what your going to sell them

"Mr. Customer, I would like to walk you through the design and feature of this spa starting with how it's made, our engineering philosophies, jetting and filtration, therapy systems, maintenance and finally cost of ownership. By the time we're done you should be able to make a logical decision as to whether or not this is the spa for you. How does that sound?" "Great, lets get started……"
Sell them

Give your presentation following those things, ask them how they like it and if they think it’s the spa for them and then say;
Tell them what you sold them

"So now that you understand our engineering philosophies and how we make a spa, do you like what you’ve seen?" "Do you see how well planned the jetting and filtration are?" "Don't you feel it would make your experience everything you want?" "Do you see were the therapy systems would alleviate all of your aches and pains?" "Now I'm sure you understand why maintenance and cost of ownership is so affordable don't you? "

The most important thing is to not make it canned and have them interact! LET THEM TALK! It’s great when a customer starts selling you on why they like the spa!

IMO, having a planned presentation helps the customer organize their thoughts and you get full credit for the spa. There are many things before and after the presentation that involve good conversation like discovering their needs and wants, finding their budget and finally knowing that they are comfortable with the purchase but plan your presentation!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 09:33:46 pm by stuart »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 09:32:42 pm »
I feel you will never earn your customers business without finding out what their inner most desires are which if you do not earn their trust you do not become business parteners.  Spas are a luxury item most people that purchase spas will not buy from a used car dealer type sells person, which would be all pitch all of the time.  By becoming their friend-meaning that you find out their needs you could customize your pitch to their needs not every little detail of the spa which becomes blah blah blah..... to some  cusomter.

Study the art of conversation, ask them questions find their needs and like they say be a detective like Joe columbo not an interrogator like Joe Friday.

Spoken like a true ex-topgunner! and you used spell check this time, good job! ;) ;)

Chaser1

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 10:54:37 pm »
Spoken like a true ex-topgunner! and you used spell check this time, good job!  

It has been a few years but it is all coming back!

As for the spell check I did have my dictionary next to me this time to look up those hard words like- feel and pitch but someday those words will just come to me> :P

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 10:54:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42