What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Who delivered your spa?  (Read 18141 times)

Wheeler

• Sundance Optima owner
Who delivered your spa?
« on: October 29, 2004, 12:21:49 am »
So did your dealer actually deliver your spa, or did they send a subcontractor?  I was pretty surprised today to see my Sundance dealer sent a subcontractor to deliver and setup my spa.  That was a question I had never thought to ask about... who delivers the spa?  I always assumed the dealer had their own guys who did this.

The subcontractor was three guys with a pickup, a flatbed trailer, some assorted tools, one drill with a dead battery, etc.  They did an OK job overall, but I thought they were much too unprofessional and not terribly worried about doing a careful and thorough job with my large, expensive purchase.

Being somewhat of a perfectionist, I ended up spending an hour or so re-doing part of the cover lifter install myself after they left. In their haste, they put the cover on backwards (so the little web handle on the side of the "front" half of the cover was toward the back of the spa).  Having these handles on the front half sides makes it easier to flip the cover over onto itself before raising the lifter arms.  I also didn't like that they had the lifter arms mounted too far forward on the brackets so that the lifted cover hung over the back seats of the spa at about an 75 or 80 degree angle. I moved the arm assembly back farther on the brackets, which hopefully will help alleviate the feeling that the cover is hanging over your head.

The installers also managed to split one of the side panel frames with the bolts for the cover lifter bracket, so I'll have to go back after the dealer about that.  Finally, they managed to strip out a couple of the mounting screws for the cover lock brackets.  Not exactly the best delivery experience I've ever had, comparing to furniture and appliance deliveries.

Anyway, I just thought it was an unusual and subpar delivery.  Everyone always talks about their dealer delivering the tub, and I'd never heard of a specialized spa installation subcontractor before.  Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience??

Hot Tub Forum

Who delivered your spa?
« on: October 29, 2004, 12:21:49 am »

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
Re: Who delivered your spa?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 02:21:07 am »
I had the dealer deliver the spa.
As it turned out he had subcontracted the job out.
My thinking in getting the Dealer to deliver is that he was responsible, or liable for any problems that resulted from the delivery.  I paid $200. Cdn

I was not too impressed with their installation.  There was a plumbing problem which the dealer had to come back the next day and correct.

It was done promptly and with no problems to me.

I still think this was a far better arrangement than If I had undertaken this back breaking job myself as if I had screwed up it would have been  my problem.

Regards Zz

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 06:19:54 am »
I drove my flat bed truck to the dealer had them load it with there fork lift. Then me and a couple of my buddies unloaded it positioned it where I wanted and hooked up the power and began filling. It went exactly as I wanted, was a perfect instalation.
Retired

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 07:41:41 am »
My dealer has employees who deliver and install.  They also are there if you want them to be to walk you thru the operation and maintanance of the spa.
Brewman
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 07:47:47 am »
My dealer was in a particulary good sales month and contracted the delivery.  After they messed ours up so bad, the dealer hired two people for full time delivery work.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 08:48:29 am »
My dealer has delivery guys.  They came, unloaded, moved the tub around til I was happy that it was in the position I wanted, installed the cover lifter and checked with me to make sure it was lifting right and at the right angle.  One of the guys even took the time to give me the lesson on the chemicals and such and what the buttons did.  Did a triple check with me to make sure everything was where/how we wanted it.   I was very pleased with the dilivery and thought it was very professional.

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 08:57:43 am »
My dealer has a team of techs that deliver, install and service the spas. On the day of delivery, the service manager showed up first. then came the crane following behind the pick-up with my tub on the back. The service manager supervised while the main tech guided the tub down over the house. The helper did the grunt work and the main tech hooked up everything but the electrical. Delivery and install went without a hitch.

And I did ask before purchasing who did this part, the dealer said they did and it was not subbed out.

Top_Cat

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 09:06:00 am »
My dealer's delivery crew consisted of 3 voluptuous girls. After they set the tub in place we didn't bother to add water before we got in and tried all the seating positions. The lounger was the best for most of us.

Chris_H

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 09:27:44 am »
“My dealer's delivery crew consisted of 3 voluptuous girls. After they set the tub in place we didn't bother to add water before we got in and tried all the seating positions. The lounger was the best for most of us.”

I didn’t realize you bought a spa from me!  I hope they got a good tip.

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 09:28:38 am »
Our dealer subcontracted it out.  They (two guys) showed up with a big truck with a couple of spas on it.  The put the spa down on a piece of CARDBOARD, and then slid it about 30 feet over grass to where it was to sit on the concrete slab we poured.  Then, with it on its side next to the slab, they lowered it down until it was just a few feet off the ground and then it kind of thumped into place.

I wasn't there watching, but my wife was and her comment over the phone was "oh.ooh.. OUCH.. I hope this thing is sturdy inside".

No problems after several months, though.

-Ed

spaguyohio

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 09:30:14 am »
Local dealer has used own delivery crews for 17 yrs. They do awesome job.

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 09:42:59 am »
My tub was delivered by one of the dealers men and three helpers who had obviously done this before.They came as per schedule at 7:30 am and had it in place without a hitch by 8. They even gave me 5 minutes to drill my hydro entry hole . It would have beena pain to do it with the tub in its final position.However they did not install the cover lifter or give me any instruction on controls etc. Just as well as I installed the lifter a little different than the instructions to suit my situation. All in all it was a positive experience. bobhol

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 10:19:32 am »
My dealer subcontracts out deliveries and are done by crane (large one, at that).  Sales person then comes out to install ozonator, cover lifter, etc, start up and do a home orientation.  Of course, I installed my cover lifter myself because I felt I would do a better job than anyone else.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 10:39:54 am by tony »

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 10:25:11 am »
My story as well.

My dealer has delivery guys. ĘThey came, unloaded, moved the tub around til I was happy that it was in the position I wanted, installed the cover lifter and checked with me to make sure it was lifting right and at the right angle. ĘOne of the guys even took the time to give me the lesson on the chemicals and such and what the buttons did. ĘDid a triple check with me to make sure everything was where/how we wanted it. Ę I was very pleased with the dilivery and thought it was very professional.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 10:45:19 am »
My dealer sent 2 recent HS grads with the spa on a trailer.  Had me concerned but they did a fantastic job.  Moved it into position on the pad and put it exactly where I wanted it.  Even moved it an inch to get it perfect after I told them it was close enough.

One of the kids then installed the lifter and ozonator while the other cleaned up.  Gave me some basic instructions on filling and took a water sample.  I hook up the electrical and got the inspection done.  Then we when to the dealer for a chemical class.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 10:45:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42