What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Optima ..... 60 Amp option  (Read 4260 times)

rayg

Optima ..... 60 Amp option
« on: October 29, 2004, 07:32:42 pm »
As I stated in an earlier post, I am having trouble with my dealer and may never see him.  With the help of this board, I am attempting to get my Optima ready for my first soak.  My electrician has wired our Optima with 60 Amp service .  I remember reading on this board that Optimas come from the factory configured for 50 Amp service.  The owner's manual confirmed this and stated that my dealer can make a simple adjustment for 60 Amp service.

My questions are ....

Can I make this "simple adjustment" or should I contact another dealer to do this for me?  The electric has been run but power is currently off at the breaker box.

If I can do it myself, can someone please tell me how (it doesn't appear that the manual provides any guidance with this).

If I should wait for a service tech, can I fire up the tub configured "as is" (50 Amps)?  Then, change it to 60 Amps later?

Thanks Again

Hot Tub Forum

Optima ..... 60 Amp option
« on: October 29, 2004, 07:32:42 pm »

Jason_r

Re: Optima ..... 60 Amp option
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 07:43:56 pm »
It would make sense that you could run your spa off of 60 amp service while the spa is set-up as 50 amp service, because the 60amp service is not changing the amount of power that is going to the spa just he amount of amp draw that your spa can pull.

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 08:18:58 pm »
I believe it is a simple setting that you can do yourself.  
I believe it is a jumper on the motherboard (I think, Sundance owners?????).

Call Sunance and ask them what to do.  Explain that your dealer is now almost dead and you need help.   See if they can call the next closest dealer on your behalf and try and get you setup for service, etc....

You will need a dealer in the future, a fruit basket sent to them might get their attention and get them to be 'your new dealer'.  I have accomplished many good things with gifts like this to companies and people that do not expect it.  As my father, a very succesful businessman has always said, and this hold true to all aspects of life, 'Nice gets nice'.

Jonathan

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 11:05:51 pm »
To enable 60 amp logic, place a jumper on JP9#7 located 3/4 of the way down on the control board on the left side.

naperguy12

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 11:50:01 pm »
It is a very simple process.  I did my own.  I got the jumper settings directly from Sundance.  Tony's sounds right, but I just can't remember for sure.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 08:37:16 am »
Call Sunance and ask them what to do.  Explain that your dealer is now almost dead and you need help.   See if they can call the next closest dealer on your behalf and try and get you setup for service, etc....

I'll be very interested to see if this works considering Sundance's corporate dealer territorial policies.  They certainly will not allow a dealer to sell a tub to a customer that is not in their territory based upon dealers' responses I recieved during my purchase process.
Good luck.
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

bethshar

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 07:18:01 pm »
We were running our tub on 60 amp service while it was still set for 50 amp.  The dealer had service come here to correct it.  Took about 10 seconds.  My husband told them on the phone that he would do it if they tell him how, but they insisted on sending someone.

We didn't realize the difference until the weather got colder and the tub would cool off a bit with both pumps on high.  Now, on 60 amp, the heater can stay on with both pumps on.

Dave_L

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 08:29:57 pm »
Ray,

I have a Jacuzzi 365, however in reading Tony's reply, it "appears" the Optima and the  J365 have the same control board.

I did my own change after phoning a Jacuzzi Tech rep. It is quite simple, however you need to shut-off the power supply, and ground yourself on the control panel ground bus bar for approx 5 seconds. This will eliminate the potential of a static discharge and damaging the control panel.

The Tech rep mentioned the jumper used at #5 (on JP9) is a spare. Simply remove the jumper at #5 and place in #7. The jumper can easily be removed with your fingers.

I would still phone Sundance to confirm.

I did my own switch since my dealer is approx 75 miles away and his authorized Jacuzzi service rep did not know what I was talking about when he delivered our tub. (He thought that these tubs came factory configured for 60 amp).

Hope this helps.

Dave

rayg

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 09:19:56 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I have not made the changes yet, but I appreciate all your help.  Instead, I filled the tub, kicked the power on, and ...... nothing  ???!  The electrician came back out and confirmed that power is getting to the tub.  He commented that it is probably a jumper setting.  Again, not enough detail in the owner's manual to troubleshoot.

So, it looks like I really need a service tech now.  Sundance is aware of the situation with my dealer.  I worked with them directly to get my order expediated. Hopefully, they will quickly hook me up with another dealer for current and ongoing service.

Thanks.

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 09:34:51 pm »
Did my Jacuzzi J-355 the same way,guess its the same board as the sundance.Very easy to do.....Jt

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 09:34:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42