What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Warranties  (Read 5905 times)

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
Warranties
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:18:59 am »
Read part of discussion on warranties where the weasel words said the tub was not covered by exposure to weather. Gee, I thought over 90% of them were outside.

Is this wording in major brand warranties?

Seems like I saw it when reading "Take My Cal Spa - Please".  What an ordeal and it is still unraveling. This is the story where the factory, not the local dealer, says send the tub to factory for inspection for warranty. When we start sending tubs back and forth for warranty inspection, who pays. That's right. Not them.

Also saw where there are only a few brands that allow transfer of warranty to new owners. Who are they, not that I plan on buying used or want to sell a used one with warranty.

Hot Tub Forum

Warranties
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:18:59 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Warranties
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:23:42 am »
The sun can damage just about any spa if the tub is left empty and uncovered on a warm day in direct sun. Many makers mention this in the owner's manual, warranty and on stickers/decals on the tub itself and some even add stickers to the wrapping.

I have seen this happen on brand new spas when there is construction going on or for some other reason my delivery crew leaves the tub wrapped, and some third party unwraps it at a later date - but doesn't know to cover it.  The spas I have dealt with  in this regard - at least the HotSpring tubs -  had one or two large bubble rise, and they were repaired by borrowing a special tool kit from the factory.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 11:25:12 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spaguyohio

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 11:25:59 am »
From what Ive seen, regardless of the product, if you have to ship something back, the cost is on your wallet both ways.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 11:27:02 am »
I wonder how many tubs sold in fairs and parking lot events end up with sun damage?
I wonder how many deaers/manufacturers take responsibilty in those situations.
Homeworks Financing Representative

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 11:32:28 am »
Also, be aware that "lifetime" warranties are limited by state, and are something like 5 or 7 years.  So a company that says "7 year warranty" and a company that says "lifetime warranty" are saying the same thing.

-Ed

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 11:34:05 am »
From what I've seen, regardless of the product, if you have to ship something back, the cost is on your wallet both ways.

No - not always. HotSpring will pay me to remove the spa from the backyard, ship it back to the factory and return it to the backyard in the rare case that one of my HotSpring tubs has to go home for a visit.
They pay me a flat fee, and it covers a basic delivery/pickup. I only have to charge the customer if there is decking to deal with, cranes to hire or something along those lines, etc. But I have yet to hear a complaint about charging for those kind of items when the factory is picking up the tab for everything else. BTW - the shipping is usually handled by either taking the tub to the factory on my empty truck/trailer next time I go pick up spas, or they will have a truck stop by on the way to or from delivering another load of spas. They have the organization of shipping down to an absolute science. The ladies I deal with in dealer support have it together in a big way. And they have strick expectations on how we package the tub for travel.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 11:37:11 am »
I wonder how many tubs sold in fairs and parking lot events end up with sun damage?
I wonder how many deaers/manufacturers take responsibilty in those situations.

Tubs with lesser insulation do not do generally get 'solar distress.' The heat has a place to go on those tubs, and so does not focus on the shell material.

Look for a HotSpring parking lot sale sometime - the tubs will be under canopies, gazebos, set on the shady side of the building or whatnot.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 11:39:24 am »
Like Hot Springs, Marquis also picks up the frieght...And they are Transferable....

Yorag

• Big Cal Spas Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 11:45:13 am »
I can't speak for other manufacturer's warranties, but the one I have for my Cal Spa specifically indicates that they will utilize a "Factory Authorized Service Representative" IN MY AREA for repair to the spa under the terms of the warranty.

The fact that they have no "Authorized" techs. in my area is not my problem. The signed warranty that I have is a binding contract between me (the consumer) and the manufacturer (in this case Cal Spas).
Requesting that a consumer "send" an installed and wired 750 lb. spa back to the manufacturer at the consumer's expense for "inspection" is not only unreasonable but it's ludicrous.

I am certainly curious if other manufacturers expect the consumer to send a spa back to the factory for warranty repairs. If so, I will definitely avoid them when and if I purchase a replacement.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 11:48:05 am by Yorag »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 12:00:46 pm »
See above.

Also = HotSpring will send the dealer out to asses the situation, perhaps take a digital photo or two and make a report to the warranty department. I have driven to areas where there was currently no HS dealer to expedite this on a couple of occasions. The factory paid me to do this, and I was happy to, THEY always back me to the fullest. Those areas are now coverd by a new dealer, who must service all existing warranty spas in his new area as part of his selling agreement.

This applies to HotSpring, Tiger River, Solana, and Hot Spot spas.

Like Hot Springs, Marquis also picks up the frieght...And they are Transferable....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 12:10:42 pm by Chas »

salesdvl

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 01:06:04 pm »
D-1 has the "lifetime" on their Resin shell (ultra life HP).  The warranty reads ( or at least it did) that the customer must pay the freight to the factory if it is deemed necessary by the factory rep.  I was told however by the CEO of D-1 that they had not actually charged anyone freight to that point. (several yrs ago)
Measure once, cut twice.

wetone

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 01:18:27 pm »
D-1 has the "lifetime" on their Resin shell (ultra life HP).  The warranty reads ( or at least it did) that the customer must pay the freight to the factory if it is deemed necessary by the factory rep.  I was told however by the CEO of D-1 that they had not actually charged anyone freight to that point. (several yrs ago)

D1 's warranty covers shipping on the spas with the ultra life shell for the first seven years if the spa has to be returned to the factory.

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:25:46 pm »
Also saw where there are only a few brands that allow transfer of warranty to new owners. Who are they, not that I plan on buying used or want to sell a used one with warranty.

The only brand that I am aware of that offers a transferable warranty is Marquis. Are there others?
e

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 01:54:50 pm »
In regards to all of the brands mentioned here;

Marquis is not the only one with a transferable warranty however I personally feel that they have the most inclusive protection in the industry including being transferable! They even cover things others don't like light bulbs, fuses, filter lids and much more.

D1 does not charge for shipping back to the factory in the first 7 years and although there is a lot of bashing on the lifetime shell warranty, they stand behind it very well. In addition to this I believe that their UltraLife material is the only shell material warranted against “sun damage”!

HotSpring has proven for years that they will go above and beyond their warranty to take care of a problem. They have an excellent track record of customer service even through the problem years of material.

CalSpa could offer anything as far as warranty goes and then would provide a disclaimer to get out of it. They have a track record of not only product failure but lack of customer service. I refer to their warranty as the 5x5 warranty - 5 feet out the door or 5 minuets after delivery they just don't care anymore. I've heard others refer to this as a "taillight warranty", your warranty is good as long as you can see the taillights of the delivery vehicle!

Chaser1

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 11:49:59 pm »
I would have to agree with stuart (your so smart) :P

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 11:49:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42