What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 220V - 3 vs. 6 wires & Sub panel  (Read 5727 times)

thunder57

220V - 3 vs. 6 wires & Sub panel
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:28:24 am »
Our favorite on the wet testing was the Sundance Altamar. A few HS were close. The dealer said we really didn't need a sub panel and it works on 220 v with 3 wires vs. the Hot Springs models at 220V with 6 wires. What is the difference? Does 3 or 6 matter? I have an old 220V with 3 wires that I might be able to use and not have to run a new 220v with 6 wires. The power supply requirements for the Altamar says 240VAC with 3 wires?
Help?

Hot Tub Forum

220V - 3 vs. 6 wires & Sub panel
« on: October 24, 2004, 10:28:24 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: 220V - 3 vs. 6 wires & Sub panel
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 10:36:31 am »
You are overlooking the amperage. Very important.
HotSpring will all run on 50 amps - 4 wire is recommended.

They only need the 5 or 6 wires from the sub panel to the spa. There are a lot of good reasons to go with either one - don't choose your spa based on this because is it very rare not to have to wire all the way from main panel to spa anyway.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Jason_r

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 05:07:50 pm »
This is what I understand to be the difference

The 3 wires that Sundance is referring to are 2 hot wires and a Ground. Which makes the entire spa run off of 220v service since there is not a neutral running to the spa. You must have a neutral wire to make 110v services to the spa. From inside of your house to the sub panel outside would have to be at least 2 hot leads and 1 ground.

On Hot Springs they are running usually a 5 wire service which is ran off of 20 different breakers one is a 220v line meaning 2 hot wires and the other is a neutral and a hot wire which runs 110v to the spa and the last wire which has to be there to ground the equipment for safety. This could be run from inside your house to the sub panel on 3 wires 2 hot and a neutral with a ground rod installed outside for the ground of the spa.

I personally would have the neutral added to the outside sub panel so I could have my electrician add a 110v plug outside if you may need one in the future.

Good Luck

Jason_r

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 05:23:16 pm »
I read somewhere that electric code states that you have a to have a sub panel no closer then 5 ft from the spa and not out of site. So going from your panel inside your house to the spa would not be to electric code.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 06:21:37 pm »
That's true: if you choose a spa without a subpanel you will have to install some sort of cutoff switch. That's one of the many reasons that HotSpring includes a sub panel with all 220 model spas. It protects the spa, conduit and users, splits the spa into two separate circuits (so the pumps can continue if the heater has a problem), helps with troubleshooting, and fills the requirement of a local cutoff switch.

The panels also have room for another circuit breaker so you can add a courtesy outlet, which is also required by code.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 06:23:36 pm by Chas »

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 06:27:37 pm »
Chaser is right and has stated the National Electic Code standard.  You must have a subpanel that is GFCI protected, more than 5 ft. from the spa and in sight of the spa.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 06:38:48 pm »
Well, you have to have some sort of shutoff switch, and it must be GFI protected. On a spa without a subpanel, you have to put a GFI breaker (very expensive !!) in the main panel, and then put an approved cutoff switch more than five feet from the water but in sight of the tub.

This shutoff switch must be rated for the job: meaning is needs to be raintite if mounted outdoors, and be rated to handle the current your circuit will supply: 40 to 60 amps depending on the spa and model.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 06:38:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42