What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Using Trex to build a deck!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2616 times)

david46

• Hot Springs Envoy
Using Trex to build a deck!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 24, 2004, 08:25:23 am »
I am loooking at using Trex to have my deck built for the hot tub when i buy it.I have talked to contractor who uses trex and will charge 3 dollars a square foot more than building out of treated wood.If anybody has ever used trex or similar product i  like to fnow their opion on it and is it worth the extra money?

David

Hot Tub Forum

Using Trex to build a deck!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 24, 2004, 08:25:23 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Using Trex to build a deck!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 10:52:40 am »
Find out if the stuff is able to support the weight of the filled spa.  I've heard that some of these composite products don't have the same support ability as similar sized wood decking.  You'd need to have joists spaced closer than the standard for the same sized wood.
Brewman
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 11:07:47 am »
Trex if supported on 16" centers can support 100 PSF and if on 12" centers can support 200 PSF. Go to their website and look around for that info. I believe those ratings are BOCA rated.

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 01:53:03 pm »
We have a TREX deck but it's not where our hot tub is.  We like the deck though.  It was screwed down and when the screws are countersunk about 1/4 of an inch the holes pretty much fill themselves back in so there is nothing exposed.  It's a lot softer on your feet and there's no splinters or anything to worry about.  2 things I don't like are that 1) it gets very hot in the direct sun - much hotter than regular decking and 2) it seems to stain easier.  We've got our grill on it and we already have a few stains that we can't seem to get out.  We've only had the deck about 6 months.  I've heard to avoid the stains there is a sealer you can get for it.

Basically I love the decking though.  Way better than that cheap standard decking.  If you're going to stay with wood, I'd suggest going with 2x6's instead of the standard deck boards.  There's a lot less chance of warping and if you keep it sealed / stained it'll last much longer.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 02:33:23 pm »
Trex is fighting for it's life in court right now: it seems that the material allows moisture in, and begins to mold, mildew and fall apart. This can easily be prevented by using a sealer - I would see Trex for selections of sealer to use - but for many people, sealing/caring for a deck is the very thing they thought they were getting away from when they built with Trex.

I was very dissapointed to learn of this, after I have recommended the product for years!!
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 02:33:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42