What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Prodigy or Artesian Captiva  (Read 7115 times)

Gman

HS Prodigy or Artesian Captiva
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:42:26 pm »
I have been looking at HS Prodigy and Artesian Captiva. I don't have a ton of room, the Artesian is 82" (which is pushing it) and the Prodigy is 80".  Both seem to be good companies and make spas with the features that I am looking for.

Has anyone purchased one of these lately?  What is a fair price?  

Thanks!

Mike

Hot Tub Forum

HS Prodigy or Artesian Captiva
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:42:26 pm »

brewski

• When in doubt bathe naked!!!
Re: HS Prodigy or Artesian Captiva
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 08:36:54 pm »
What  kind of prices are being quoted to you and what is included in that price?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 09:34:11 pm »
The Captiva comes in 4 different configurations. You can get a 17 jet 1 pump system up to a 46 jet 3 pump system and you can add options from there.

The HS Prodigy comes one way I believe - not much to add.

As brewski asked - What is included in the prices?

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 01:02:57 am »
are you going to be running it on a 110 hook up....also is that Artesians lower line....If so....I would go Hot Springs...

Jordy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 01:43:21 am »
I don't have any direct experience with Artesian but I can say that the Prodigy is a sound, well-built machine. Have you wet-tested either unit? Being a Jacuzzi Dealer, I should also encourage you to check out the J-315 (Great Tub)!!!

cdenyer

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 06:25:40 am »
I have had my Artesian Antigua 29 for a week now and it's great!

I looked at tons of tubs out there and for the money, this was the best.

I spent $3600 with steps, chemicals, cover and delivery. Which with tax brought me just under the $4000 budget my wife had given me  ;D!!

Chuck

Gman

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 07:01:12 pm »
Chuck -- Where do you live?  I got a price today for a captiva 29 (which looks to me about the same as an antigua except for the lounger) -- the price was $5,495.  this included, cover, lifter, steps, ozonator, delivery, setup and start-up chemicals.  I thought it sounded like a good deal...until I heard yours.  

What do others think?  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 07:20:49 pm »
Gman,

I live in NJ and got a price for a 48 jet Grand Cayman (big brother to the Captiva) of $6240 which included cover, lifter, plastic skirting, ozonator (dealer has this as standard equipment), circ pump, steps, delivery and starter chems.

It also comes with 2 - 6 HP pumps - I think the 29 jet model comes with 1 - 6 hp pump.

They are nice tubs and pricing will be different for different areas of the contry.  The question to ask yourself is what are similar tubs ( DE Cape Cod or Sweetwater Bahia (a little bigger tub)) going for in your area to compare prices.

I've seen the Soverign for around $6800, if the Prodigy is the next one up - I've seen it advertised for $7200.

Gman

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 07:43:36 pm »
The captiva now comes with 2 3hp rather than the 1 6hp.  

I was quoted $6500 for the Sweetwater Bahia and $5K for the sweetwater lagunas. I think for the extra $500, the captiva is a better deal than the lagunas.  The lagunas has a 125 sq ft filter, the captiva 50sq ft -- does this matter much?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 09:05:34 pm »
I looked at the Artesian website and the Captiva has 2 - 50 sqft filters (unless that changed).

I got the same price for the Bahia as you with the items mentioned plus a LED light.

I personally am into "the most bang for your buck". Looking at the specs of the Lagunas and the Captiva there are some considerations to make:

The Lagunas can run from 120 V or 240 V - you may be able to just plug it in. The Captiva is 240 V - you'll need electrical service installed - probably about $300 to $500.

The Lagunas has a circ pump standard. Does the price for the Captiva include a circ pump (a $300 option).

The Lagunas has a plastic skirting. Does the price of the Captiva include this ($300 option).

Since the Captiva has 2 pumps it may be more powerful. FYI the HP on the Island Spas is break HP not continuous. Also,  depending on the plumbing and diverter valve you may be able to bring all the power from one of the pumps into 1 seat in the Captiva (Grand Cayman can do this).

The Captiva is 2" taller than the Lagunus - this may make a difference if your tall.

They look like they offer different types of seating, Lagunas looks more bench and the Captiva looks more "fitted".

Unfortunately it's a HARD decision to make and for the record I personally would chose the Island over the Sweetwater - for my needs. But we all have different needs.

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 09:31:21 pm by Vinny »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 09:37:56 pm »
Gman,

It also comes with 2 - 6 HP pumps - I think the 29 jet model comes with 1 - 6 hp pump.

...maybe it is just me....but I would not give my business...my dollars to a company that hypes hp as in 6 hp pumps weather the claim is 1 or 2.....it is simply not a true statement and is misleading.....I take that back if they are also telling you will need at least a 80 amp breaker to run them, if not....they are lying and one good lie will surly lead to another....they are not real 6 hp pumps

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 10:30:56 pm »
"...maybe it is just me....but I would not give my business...my dollars to a company that hypes hp as in 6 hp pumps weather the claim is 1 or 2.....it is simply not a true statement and is misleading.....I take that back if they are also telling you will need at least a 80 amp breaker to run them, if not....they are lying and one good lie will surly lead to another....they are not real 6 hp pumps"

First I have to say there seems to be a lot of happy Artesian Platinum, Gold and Island series owners out there. All of them have been lied to by the Artesian company - all the pumps are break HP according to tech support at Artesian.

I think ALL companies use SALES HYPE to sell their product. Maybe the big 2 -  Sundance and Hotsprings don't but I doubt that. Yes those HP figures are break HP but it doesn't make them a bad company - they want their share of the maket the same way Watkins and Sundance does. Heck Jacuzzi touts they use "Jacuzzi" pumps -  they don't anymore they use Sundance or Sweetwater pumps - from what I read the old real Jacuzzi pumps blew away all the compitition barring none! And the Watkins family has the Hot Springs/ Tiger River lines AND the Caldera Lines - Now how does that happen that a company is competing withitself in the same market of spas - SALES. Same thing with the Sundance/ Jacuzzi/Sweetwater lines.

I'm not bashing Sundance or Watkins or anyone else AND I'm not endosing anyone - It seems that when a person finds the tub thats right for him and her - THEY are happy. There are happy owners of all spas out there and miserable owners of all spas out there.

At a price level of $6,000 to $7000 pick out 10 spas that have certain features, in my case I don't want a lounger so that eliminates a lot of smaller spas and the price alone eliminates the "premium" spas - the Bahia is $6500 in my area (this is a Sweetwater) and the Vangard is $7200 - out of the price range. Maybe I can get the TR equivilent for under $7000 - OK that gives us 2 choices from the big 2.

I think the world of hot tub dealers and purchasers need to open their minds and try to help people who really want help. There is crap out there and steer us away from it  BUT I find it hard to believe that if you buy anything other than Watkins or Sundance/ Jacuzzi/Sweetwater you are buying crap.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 11:19:48 pm »
Vinny...

I never said buy Hot Springs or Sundance and all others are crap....I have actually said the Artesian is a company that seems to be on the rise and yes there are happy owners.....but is that a reason to mis lead someone and quote figures that are not real...I disagree with you about all company's using hype to sell their products many....earn their reputations by building good products...at a fair value...and take care of those who put their trust in them after the sale....I would much rather be able to read a manufactures features/specs list and know what they are saying is real without having to read between the lines....And I am not suggesting that Artesian would not take care of you after the sale....but they have a choice in how to market their products and weather to use real numbers when quoting specs or not....

Jordy

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 11:43:13 pm »
Hi Vinny,
Have you had an opportunity to wet-test any of the models you're interested in yet? I know it's easy to get distracted by all the different features and technical specifications available to you, but remember that even though a machine may seem superior (technically) in some ways, it may not be comfortable for you. Wet-testing has a way of cutting to the heart of the matter for most consumers. It is the single most important aspect of the hot tub shopping experience. I have had many clients who have said that wet-testing different models made their decision-making process very easy. There is no substitute for wet-testing!!! I find that sometimes people get too involved and confused in the technical aspects and forget why they considered purchasing a hot tub in the first place. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy the end result. P.S.-Wet-Test is King!!!

cdenyer

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 06:03:25 am »
I purchased my Atersian in Knoxville, TN about a week and a half ago. Specifically at The Pool Place.

Chuck

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 06:03:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42