What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: On falling stars and satellites....  (Read 8571 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
On falling stars and satellites....
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:26:39 am »
Major bonus soak this a.m.!
Got up a little early to sneak in a 30 minute soak before first light.  Saw 5 shooting stars and a satellite!  One of the stars was bright enough to leave a trail and the satellite was travellng from north to south only about 3-5 degrees or so from straight overhead.  It passed by and gently 'kissed' the easternmost star in Orion's belt and then almost 'touched' the southernmost star in Orion's sword.  I probably saw it for a total of 1 - 2 minutes.  Looked it up on http://www.heavens-above.com and identified it as Resurs 01 Rocket.  According to the site, it was a magnitude 2.7--no wonder it was so bright! What a way to start the day!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

On falling stars and satellites....
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:26:39 am »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: On falling stars and satellites....
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 09:40:04 am »
I found that web site earlier this summer and now plan my soaks during the weeks with this in mind at times. My son also has taken a great interest in seeing the satelites fly by and going on the web site to learn about them, date of construction and launch. That site is great Windsurfdog. It offers so much information.

I think WcCall either introduced me to it or made mention of it.

windsurfdog

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:27:09 am »
I found that web site earlier this summer and now plan my soaks during the weeks with this in mind at times. My son also has taken a great interest in seeing the satelites fly by and going on the web site to learn about them, date of construction and launch. That site is great Windsurfdog. It offers so much information.

I think WcCall either introduced me to it or made mention of it.

Indeed, doodoo.  I've got my home location plugged in plus 2 locations down in the Keys for when we take our annual sojourn down there.  The most remarkable siting I've had was the ISS with the shuttle from Fiesta Key before dawn about 3 years ago.  I picked it up around 15-20 degrees off the horizon, watched it pass about 85 degrees overhead and saw it until it was about 15 degrees or so off the horizon.  

Also, I saw the Mir on the next to the last day of it's life as it passed over Tallahassee about 7:15 p.m. during a gloriously clear sunset.  It was about 65 degrees overhead at it's peak then.

Man, those objects fly fast!
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 11:42:25 am »
Got up a little early to sneak in a 30 minute soak before first light.  Saw 5 shooting stars and a satellite!  One of the stars was bright enough to leave a trail and the satellite was travellng from north to south only about 3-5 degrees or so from straight overhead.  It passed by and gently 'kissed' the easternmost star in Orion's belt and then almost 'touched' the southernmost star in Orion's sword.  I probably saw it for a total of 1 - 2 minutes.  Looked it up on http://www.heavens-above.com and identified it as Resurs 01 Rocket.  According to the site, it was a magnitude 2.7--no wonder it was so bright! What a way to start the day!
 8)

Seeing Orion in the morning is my sign winter is coming, curliing has started, I just bought my ski pass :)  magnitude 2.7 is bright? Where do you live?  My house is suburban Columbus is getting pretty bad, with no moon 3.8 is the dimmest I can see at the zenith. Much below Orion I might not be able to see 2.7 :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:43:45 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 11:52:40 am »
 The most remarkable siting I've had was the ISS with the shuttle from Fiesta Key before dawn about 3 years ago.  I picked it up around 15-20 degrees off the horizon, watched it pass about 85 degrees overhead and saw it until it was about 15 degrees or so off the horizon.  

Hopefully in the summer the shuttles will start flying again. We have had a couple of passes when the shuttle is still chasing the ISS, they make a neat site traveling the sky together.   Recently saw a trio of navy satellites cross from horizon to horizon.   BTW, the lounger is the best seat in the spa for this type of observing.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 12:18:45 pm »
 8)

WindyBob,
Where you live those might have been street lights still flying around from all of the hurricanes you have had! ;) :D

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 12:22:37 pm »
WindyBob,
Where you live those might have been street lights still flying around from all of the hurricanes you have had! ;) :D

LMAO! Sorry should'nt but man that one's funny.

windsurfdog

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 12:44:39 pm »

Seeing Orion in the morning is my sign winter is coming, curliing has started, I just bought my ski pass :)  magnitude 2.7 is bright? Where do you live?  My house is suburban Columbus is getting pretty bad, with no moon 3.8 is the dimmest I can see at the zenith. Much below Orion I might not be able to see 2.7 :)

I'm on the northern Gulf coast of Florida just south of Tallahassee.  From the tub, I have very little light pollution, thank goodness.  

Most of the satellites listed in heavens-above generic searches are magnitude 3+ so any satellite with a magnitude less than 3 I consider bright.  Certainly today's Resurs siting dimmed considerably as it moved away from Orion's sword but I was able to see it until it was about 20-25 degrees or so off the southern horizon.

Glad to see there are more heavens-above watchers out there!
8)

windsurfdog

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 12:55:01 pm »
WindyBob,

Heeey stuart--glad to see you are hanging around again!

I think most of the street lights have found a way back to earth by now though I do see a sofa fly by occasionally.....wb
8)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 01:33:32 pm »
Heeey stuart--glad to see you are hanging around again!

I think most of the street lights have found a way back to earth by now though I do see a sofa fly by occasionally.....wb
 8)

Actually I'm just back on for a few days to follow a "Topic", don't know if I will hang around longer or not....

So has anyone won the lotto down there yet or are you hoarding all of the money in the vacant cabinet of that MS? Are your cabinet panels still intact? ;D ;)

How's the economy after all of the destruction?

Signed, Bubba Stu 8)

windsurfdog

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 02:16:49 pm »
Actually I'm just back on for a few days to follow a "Topic", don't know if I will hang around longer or not....

So has anyone won the lotto down there yet or are you hoarding all of the money in the vacant cabinet of that MS? Are your cabinet panels still intact? ;D ;)

How's the economy after all of the destruction?

Signed, Bubba Stu 8)

BS (bet you didn't think you were "stepping" in that one! ;D),
We have winners every day!  And I'm actually glad the panels are real flimsy 'cause they can bulge with all the piles of cash I stuff inside!
The economy is extremely bull if one is in construction.  Unfortunately the spa business is suffering a bit according to my dealer in Tampa.  Sounds like people want roofs more than tubs.......
8)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 02:45:08 pm »

The economy is extremely bull if one is in construction.  Unfortunately the spa business is suffering a bit according to my dealer in Tampa.  Sounds like people want roofs more than tubs.......
 8)

Silly people! Don't they know that they will just have to do this all over again next year? ::)

windsurfdog

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 02:51:31 pm »

Hopefully in the summer the shuttles will start flying again. We have had a couple of passes when the shuttle is still chasing the ISS, they make a neat site traveling the sky together.   Recently saw a trio of navy satellites cross from horizon to horizon.   BTW, the lounger is the best seat in the spa for this type of observing.

Wow, I bet the trio was cool!  This Sat. morning around 0617 the same Resurs 01 Rocket and Lacrosse 3 will appear to have what should appear to be an almost "head-on collision".  From my perspective, one will attain its zenith of 73 degrees WNW at 06:17:02 while the other will be at 87 degrees WNW at 06:17:13 while travelling opposite directions.  Both are rather bright as well--2.5 and 2.7.  Ought to be a neat sight if clouds permit.

And you are so right, the lounger is DEFINITELY the seat of choice for stargazing......yet another great reason for having a lounger!  I truly doubt the validity of the commonly heard statement, "80% of second time spa buyers don't buy a spa with a lounger."  If it is so, I guess they didn't buy a spa with a decent lounger the first time.....(was that the sound of yet another can of worms? ;D)
8)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 09:19:05 pm »
 Sounds like people want roofs more than tubs.......
 8)

But there is more room to sleep inside a thermopane tub vs a full foam tub.  ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 09:37:19 am »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 09:37:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42