What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Putting spa into deck  (Read 22464 times)

tappertee

Putting spa into deck
« on: October 19, 2004, 01:20:46 pm »
 Any feedback on putting a Tiger River Caspian into the deck or on top.  My contractor would like to sink it into the deck(new contruction) so I wouldn't need stairs to get in. Also build seats around it.  It would be nice, but really doesnt matter to me.  Would there be a problem getting to the panels?  Can it be done?  Would the cabinet stay on or be taken off?  Should it be sunken oll the way, in or leave maybe somewhere around 12 inches of cabinet exposed?  Any help would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Putting spa into deck
« on: October 19, 2004, 01:20:46 pm »

doodoo

• Sundance Optima Owner - and lovin' it
Re: Putting spa into deck
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:33:13 pm »
First thing that I would say is it is more imporant what you want than what your contractor wants.

So from my point of view, decide what it is that you want, and then tell your contractor that and then he does the work and you pay him for it.

As far as sinking or not the tub in the deck, We sank ours about half way leaving 15" above the surface of the deck. We found it easier to get in and out of the tub and visually less of an impact given that less is exposed.

Regardless of this the tub needs to be properly supported and that should be considered as well.

Finally, the visual set-up of our tub also played a role in helping us decide what we wanted. Stairs down to the tub etc... may provide you with a more apealing set-up. That being said, I am now wondering if your contractor recommended this because the bottom surface that the tub will sit on is actually well below your potential deck. If that is the case then you need to consider the structural elements required to support the weight of a tub.

Perhaps a little more info and Good luck.

nicker

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:41:26 pm »
The only problems I have with sinking it into a deck is if you ever have any problem that they have to get at the tub.  You would have to drain it and lift if out.  If you do decide to sink it in you will have to have a access panel cut into the deck that can be removed so you can get at the access doors to the pump compartment on the tub.    I would also leave the tub about 12 to 18 inches above the deck.  Reason being is safety.  We were told by a few people that service tubs that they have heard of many people falling in or in the winter slipping in.   We opted to put our tub on top of a deck.  We had an existing deck that is 39" off the ground so I built a new deck beside the existing one 22" off the ground and set the tub on it.  So our tub sits about 18" above our deck so you can sit on the side and get in that way.  or you can walk down to the lower deck and climb in that way too.    We like the looks of the two teired deck and have had lots of compliments on it.  Plus you can easily access the tub if needed.    But either option is a great idea just thought I would pass on some of the points that we came across when we were at the same stage you are now.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 02:00:10 pm »
As far as sinking or not the tub in the deck, We sank ours about half way leaving 15" above the surface of the deck. We found it easier to get in and out of the tub and visually less of an impact given that less is exposed.

I'm of a similar opinion and another added plus to leaving the spa a bit above the deck is the fact you can get a cover litfer on the spa. In fact some lifters fit just under the shell flange so you can reduce that 15" idea down to 10" or less. Either way, I've seen plenty of each type and IMO (the key here is its MY opinion) keeping the spa 10-15" above the deck surface is a definite plus.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

taraka

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 03:30:15 pm »
I just got my spa about 1 month ago.  I decided to place it on top of the deck and here's why::

1.The access is easier for the control panel.
2.I like the look of it.
3.This one is the main reason:  I know that I will not be in this house for 10 years and I want to take the spa with mewhen I move.
 You can see my deck and photos in this forum: Title photos before and after.  I posted them just a couple of days ago.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 04:12:34 pm »
Hi Tappertee:

To date, I've built 12 deck projects with hot tubs between my own, my friends and "friends of friends" (undoubtedly the worst type) requests.  Although I’m not a contractor – and that’s probably a GOOD thing – I'd recommend 2 choices.

The simplest (and easy) choice, and my #1 recommendation, is sitting the tub on top of a deck.  More than 60% of the projects I’ve built used this alternative and more than ½ of these ended up moving within 5 years and taking their tub with them.  Straight up, a “portable spa” (the type not sank into the dirt using concrete) adds only MARGINAL value to your home at selling time, unless you find a buyer who REALLY wants a spa.  If you “build in,” you ultimately face a choice.  If you sell the spa with the house, chances are you won’t see your money back.  If you decide to take it with you, you end up SPENDING money to fix the hole and it doesn’t always look right.  Either way – issues.

Sitting the tub on the deck alleviates such issues.  If the deck is close to the ground, “standard” construction with a “little” beef is all you need.  I recommend concrete piers under the tub with 12” centers on joists in the area of the tub.  On my last project I actually “box framed” a 10x10 area under the spa with a concrete pier on each corner to support the extra load (“live” load was calculated at 8,000 lbs).  The remaining deck was tied into the box frame with hangers or framing nails, allowing for “normal” construction.  If the deck is more than 3 FT off the ground (especially 5 FT or more), special considerations need to be made for support systems and wind loading.

Putting the tub on the deck also protects the spa.  No spa-to-ground contact occurs, which means ground or rain water intrusion, along with “critter” intrusion, is less likely.  You can also “accessorize” the spa with steps, tables, surrounds, etc.  Spas with controls on the sides along with towel warmers and other “built-ins” are also made for this placement.  Overall, given the fact that the average homeowner sells and moves each 5 years these days, this type of placement is a better option.  It’s also how 90% or more of the spas built today are designed to be used.

ON THE OTHER HAND, a “built-in” “portable” spa has some unique advantages.  Approximately 2 years ago I finished this type project for a friend who had a 20x40 deck system.  In one corner of the deck, we framed in a “raised dais” section where we “built-in” a portable spa.  He used an off-brand tub (but a darn GOOD one) that had a “no cabinet” delivery option.  In this configuration, we “sank” the spa into the deck with the shell lip surround sitting on the decking, creating a “flush” installation.  The bottom of the spa sat on a pad.  When finished, we boxed in the spa and covered the below deck spa components with painted T-111 (salt treated) and block foam insulation.  One side was hinged to permit component access in the crawl space.  We also framed in a “semi-removable” section of decking if BIG repairs were ever needed.

The advantage of this type installation was the VERY clean appearance and ease of use.  The spa had built in steps, so slipping was not really an issue.  The spa shell also projected about 4” above the deck, so people would not just “fall in.”  Also, because the area of the deck containing the spa was raised about 10” above the lower deck, it controlled traffic flow.  Another BIG advantage was seating during “cool down” and drinks on the deck within easy reach.  I still occasionally get in this spa and it’s going strong with no problems.

The last option “semi-recessed” just doesn’t do it for me.  I’ve NEVER seen one (except wood hot tubs) that looked GOOD.  For the time and effort, why use this option?  Better way to go is steps and other accessories.

Well, this was long winded, but I hoped it helped.  Remember, it’s only my OPINION.  I’d suggest looking on the Internet for installation pictures to get ideas regardless of what I or anyone else recommends...

Good luck!

Drewski            

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 04:31:07 pm »
My spa is sunk down with about 12 inches of cabinet exposed.  To get to the correct height, I set it on a concrete pad and a PT platform on top of that so the base is never sitting in any water.  I have full access on three sides and if I have to get to the fourth, I can empty and slide it over.  I used the spa the first year on the deck and the second in the deck and IMO, in the deck is much much nicer.  I personally like the look of the spa sitting part way out of the deck rather than all the way down.  It is much easier to use and allows people outside of the spa to socialize with those inside.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 04:57:46 pm »
I am in the process of deciding that also. I like the look of the "sunken" tub. I asked this on another forum and I got some good ideas from people.

As was said here,  you need to have access to the pumps and controls - what I'm  planning on doing is put the tub near the corner of the deck and put the controls (this is usually where the pumps and electronics are) toward the deck edge about a foot away. I also am going to leave a 2-3 inch space in the decking around the tub for removal of the cabinet. I will conceal this space with a "picture frame" type of molding around the tub.

There are some things to consider - I was informed by a dealer that for easy step in, the tub height off the deck should be at the height of the inside step. The reason for this is it's easier to step straight than it is to step down or up (either into or out of the tub). I realized in my case (putting it into a corner) 2 sides will not be accessible from the top of the deck - place the tub where you can step into the tub AND change the filters.

If your getting a cover lift you might want to consider the view or privacy and a square sunken tub can have a cover lift on any side but you need to remember that the brackets may interfere with the equipment door. you may only be able to position the controls in one spot for easy access so think about this.

Good luck on your project!

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 04:57:51 pm »
I am a big fan of hot tubs that are partially sunk into the deck.  Yes, it takes a little routing around the edges,  and you need your trap doors for access but done right it gives a nice clean finish and looks *great*.  ;)

I guess it depends on whether you prefer a built-in look or a "dropped on top" look.   If you do build it in, try and keep the floor of the deck level with the first step into the hot tub.  Any lower and, in my opinion, you start losing stability going in.

I like the look of a flush-mount tub, but it is not practical, in my opinion.  My sister went with this option a decade ago when she got her tub.  It is a little hazardous to get into, and kids and dogs run all over the cover.  She had to replace her tub cover because the neighborhood dog and my nieces kept running around on it.  When my niece turned 12 her and her friends though it was fun to run over the cover.  ::)

Tubs sitting on the deck surrounded by steps is a popular option, and certainly the easiest.  Some people completely surround the tub for easier access from all directions, giving you a less-expensive "built-in" look.  

As for carting your tub around with you, if you sell your house, the people buying it may really enjoy the hot tub.  I'm on a 7 year plan on my house and when the time is up, my wonderful, beautiful Hot Springs Grandee is staying with the house, will be priced into the cost of the house, and will heavily subsidize my purchase of a new, 2011 model Hot Springs Grandee (or whatever else is out there).

When you move, you may want  to add (or drop) a lounger. There might be better pumps, filtration, ozone, whatever. Selling your house is a great way to subsidize a hot tub upgrade!  ;D

-Ed

hbcpa

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 05:59:25 pm »
I am trying to decide whether to sink a tub or put it on a cement slab and build something around it to camaflage the the tub. I have seen some ideas on the hot spring web site under installation ideas. I particulary liked the ones that had the rock built around the tub. The only thing I can't figure out is how can you get the shell out if you have a leak. Any insight from experience would be appreciated  

UnderTheStars

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 09:01:41 pm »
Wow, nice one Drewski!  That's some seriously-good common sense advice.  I likes!
Stars

tappertee

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 12:26:02 pm »
Being a newbie on this forum and a new hot tub owner,  I certainly appreciate all the great advice.  You guys are very helpful.  Drewski,  I really want to thank you for all your knowledge and if I lived closer to you I'd be bugging you to help me just like all your friends do.  Even though your least favorite was sinking the tub part way into the deck,  I think that I am leaning that way.  Other people are replying that they like their's that way.
If I move, I will not be taking the tub with me.  I certainly would like a tub in any new house that I would buy,  but I don't think that it would be big selling point.  But it would help.
Thanks again and see you on this forum often.

tappertee

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 01:17:10 pm »
Hi Tappertee:

Glad to see you got some good feedback.  A number of the posters did make some great points on partially recessed tubs and if that's what you like, by all means go for it!

A word of caution, however.  CAREFULLY evaluate the groundwater and flooding potential near your tub.  At my last house, I came very close to doing a recessed install on my current tub.  Instead, I decided to put it on the deck.  After pouring my piers and getting the ground level, Hurricane Floyd decided to pay me a little visit.

The EXACT spot where I was thinking of setting the tub on a slab was submerged by 8" of water for 2 days.  In the 8 years I owned the house previously, along with the 3 years after, I NEVER had that type of flooding.  BUT, it only takes once.  In my case, the "hurricane deductible" would have been applied to my loss and I would have been out SERIOUS green backs...

Anyway, hope my info helped and good luck with your project!  Post some pictures after you’re done?

Drewski

:D
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Drifter

• Master Spa LS850 Owner!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 09:31:21 pm »
I was told 18 inches is the amount which is what I did. However you may want to consider sinking tub so that the level of step in tub is equal with deck surface. This makes it easier to get in and out. That being said, there are some problems. 1st off is how are you going to attach your cover lifter to the spa and can you get one that will work? My spa has composite sides which won't support a cover lifter. Try finding a lifter that you can attach to a deck when the spa is raised 18 inches. I know I contacted many manufactures and retailers and they all looked at me like I was speaking chinese. This despite the fact that it sounds like a lot of people have partially sunk the spa in the deck! Good luck!

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 11:42:16 pm »
When the spa is close to the deck, I have found that simply unfolding half and then sliding the top off is a relatively easy process. Especially if you are only in for a 20-30 minute dip you can leave the top leaning on one side of the spa, and you can remove it in either direction.

But, having said that, I believe that there *is* a cover lifter which can work with small clearances.  I'll see if I can dig up a link.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 11:42:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42