What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone NOT purchase a cover lifter?  (Read 6520 times)

cmitch9999

Anyone NOT purchase a cover lifter?
« on: October 17, 2004, 02:02:13 pm »
Hi
we will be getting our Nordic round tub in about 2 more weeks... Not sure if we want to spend the extra $200 for the cover lifter.  Anyone NOT have a cover lifter, what do you do with your cover while in the tub?  Would you do it differently now?

Thanks!!!
soon to be tubbin
in Maryland

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone NOT purchase a cover lifter?
« on: October 17, 2004, 02:02:13 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Anyone NOT purchase a cover lifter?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 02:32:59 pm »
We would definitely use our tub less without the cover lifter. My family would use it far less with out it (not to be sexist too much, but it would overwhelm my wife and daughter without the lifter. ) With the lifter my 5'4 120 pound daughter handles the cover quite well and goes out when ever she wants.  Friends without the lifter frequently use half their tub.

Lifter's vary in quality and price, some of the most basic ones only cost the dealer $90 or so,  any lifter is better than none. Like Vinny's tub, mine is 8'8 and the cover lifter helps make enjoying the tub as easy as possible. On cold nights I can get out of the tub, have everything closed up and back in the house in 30 seconds. Can't do that without a lifter.

I have one other friend with a round tub, he built a shelft that sits behind the tub, you fold the cover in half and slide it on to the shelf, and then do the opposite when you get out.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 02:51:45 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 02:34:29 pm »
I have a friend who doesn't have a lifter. It seems like a real pain in the neck to use the tub. They didn't know that there was such a thing - the tub came with the house.

With that said I would think it depends on the size of the cover - the larger, the bigger the pain. I  am getting a 8x8 tub and the coverlifter (covermate 3) makes the cover so easy to remove. I think that the $200 will be well spent, I read once to make the tub as easy to use as possible for maximum enjoyment - I have to agree with that statement!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 02:34:59 pm by Vinny »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 09:02:02 pm »
I have heard of these mythical "liftless" people, but I really doubt they exist. I mean, you have to do something with the cover -
:o
Have you looked at something as simple as a Cover Shelf? Usually around a hundred bucks installed.

But - go to any spa dealer and walk around the showroom lifting the various covers on and off. Do it about 5 times each spa - you'll beg for the lift.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 09:30:27 pm »
Every spa I sell goes out the door with some sort of cover lifter.

A cover lift has four great advantages, makes opening and storeing  the spa cover easy, can be used as windbreak, as well as a privacy screen, and it will increase the life of your cover because your not throughing it around on the ground when using your tub..

Spend the money on one right away, it's worth it.

Spahappy

Jordy

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 10:11:40 pm »
As usual, SpaHappy is right on the money. Coverlifters are worth every penny spent on them. As a consumer you have a wide selection of styles and prices to choose from. You will be glad you purchased a cover lifter every time you use your spa.

zacman

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 10:46:50 pm »
Our last spa had a cover and no lifter.  Never again will we have a spa without a cover lifter.  When we looked as spas and my wife saw the cover lifters she was sold - wrestling with the cover had been a major complaint.  Also, our old cover took a beating getting it off and resting it against the spa on the concrete.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 01:06:13 am »
 ;D I went for a LONG time (8 months) with no lifter on My Jacuzzi J370. Sliding the cover off and on wasn't really a problem for me. It was new and not water logged at all so it was fairly light (I thought). But I did finally breakdown and bought a new Cover caddie off eBay for about $125. They can be hard to find priced right but it is easier now to move the cover on and off. My 8 year old boy can do it now.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Tubber

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 07:33:01 am »
cmitch9999, Save your money. I personally do not like the coverlift offered on the round tubs. As Chas suggested I'd suggest a cover shelf for the round tubs. The covers are not that bad to deal with on a Nordic.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 11:34:58 am »
Hi cmitch9999:

I must be the only one posting here that DOSN'T use a cover lift (add horrifying scream here)!

It's not that I have anything against them, but I just never got one.  With my current tub at my old house, the tub sat in a clear area of my deck.  I folded the cover over and used the tub as a fulcrum to ease it to the deck.  I reversed the process to put it back on.

At my new house, I don't have as much room.  The tub is about 2 ft from a vinyl fence on 2 sides.  I fold the cover over and then push it up and then down between the tub and the fence.  When I put it back on, I use the corner of the cover for a fulcrum, pull it straight up, rotate it and lower down onto the tub again using the side of the tub as a fulcrum.  My cover is for an 8x8 spa.

I've had women and teenage girls at my house put the cover on themselves, along with a pair of girls (8 and 10) who insist on doing it without my help.  From what I've seen, none has ever had a problem....?

Maybe we feed 'em better down here?  ;)

I don't know, but from some of the pictures of cover lifters posted here, I think (my OPINION) they kind of ruin the aesthetics of the spa and "clean" look of the spa box?  I'm not saying don't get one, I'm just saying I DON'T need one...

Thanks...

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 11:51:27 am »
I don't know, but from some of the pictures of cover lifters posted here, I think (my OPINION) they kind of ruin the aesthetics of the spa and "clean" look of the spa box?  I'm not saying don't get one, I'm just saying I DON'T need one...

Oh the horror!! Drewski is fine without a lifter and that's ok but I've NEVER heard of someone regretting that they got a lifter as it makes life easier and that's what a spa is about in the first place. A spa without a cover lifter is like a car without doors that open. Sure, you can get in the car though the window but I'm not Luke Duke and I prefer the ease of entry.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chris_H

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 11:56:00 am »
“Luke Duke” Only you could come up with a Dukes of Hazzard reference on a spa forum.
That was a compliment on your on your extremely creative use of analogies.

Drewski

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 02:01:00 pm »
Weeelll...

Daisy Duke was in my tub over the weekend and she didn't have any problem with "ease of entry."  :o

OH!, you meant the COVER.  Shucks, I guess I shoulda stayed in school like Uncle Jessie told me to....

LOL (had a General Lee poster on my wall from 10 to 11)

Drewski

:D

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 02:16:02 pm »
Weeelll...

Daisy Duke was in my tub over the weekend and she didn't have any problem with "ease of entry."  :o

OH!, you meant the COVER.  Shucks, I guess I shoulda stayed in school like Uncle Jessie told me to....

LOL (had a General Lee poster on my wall from 10 to 11)

Drewski

:D

The way Daisy Duke packed on the pounds Iam surprised that your tub had water in it after she visited.....
Homeworks Financing Representative

Drewski

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 02:29:36 pm »
Just another advantage of the Piper Glen!  BTW, I ain't exactly a lightweight....  :-/

Drewski

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 02:29:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42