What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How long do you wait after shocking?  (Read 45433 times)

Max78

How long do you wait after shocking?
« on: October 13, 2004, 03:34:02 pm »
How much time do you allow before you enter your hot tub after shocking?  I shocked with 3 TBLSPNS of dichlor about 22 hours ago.  Tub is an Optima and holds 500 gallons.  Left the cover off for one hour and ran the jets during that time.  Chlorine was at .5 ppm before shocking.  Chlorine reading is now 6.0.  I thought I'd read on here where some people shock 4 hours before use.  I'm sure we can get in it tonight but just wondered how much time others allowed?

Hot Tub Forum

How long do you wait after shocking?
« on: October 13, 2004, 03:34:02 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: How long do you wait after shocking?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 05:40:06 pm »
I shock the same as you and I wait about the same as you--20-24 hours.  Seems to work for me.....
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 05:45:13 pm »
For the amount of chlorine you put in, you could jump right in.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Max78

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 10:07:05 pm »
Gary:  That would put the chlorine up to around 9 or 10 ppm immediately after adding shocking.  Is it safe to soak in a tub with the level of chlorine so high?

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:12:26 am »
I cant recall my source, but I remember reading and committing to memory that its safe to enter tub if chlorine is 5ppm or less.  I think the worst that will happen if you are in higher chlorine is maybe skin irritation.  We shock with 3TBL about 10pm and by next evening at 8pm its safe to use.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 08:00:33 am »
We usually use the tub late at night 90 minutes before bed. I shock them and by morning things are at a reasonable level.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 10:08:20 am »
This is one of the reasons I have tried a new shock treatment following the routine of Northman and those who use Enhanced Shock...one tblspn dichlor with two tblspn non chlorine shock (non buffered).  So far the results have been great and it allows me to use the spa within a half day of shocking.  It also helps to keep my CYA levels down a bit which I believe is much more of an issue to healthy water than TDS.

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 12:59:50 pm »
Do you have to reset your GFCI after shocking? ;D

UnderTheStars

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 06:54:49 pm »
If you wear thick rubber soled shoes the GFCI shouldn't trip when you shock.  Ok, nevermind. . .

Seriously though, I can reference at least 3 sources that say don't use spa until chlorine falls below 5 ppm:  My HotSpring manual, LeisureTimes' instructional material, and the instructions that came with my "Walmart test kit."

How long to wait before using spa?  Test strip or test kit and check the chlorine or bromine level.  When it's below 5 ppm you're good to go.  (personally, I wait until it drops to 3 or less.)
Stars

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 10:19:25 am »
During one of my first shocks I wanted to *really* shock the tub and poured what must have been the equivalent of 6 TBSP of chlorine shock into the tub.  At which point my wife asked me what I was doing since she had just heavily shocked the tub 10 minutes ago.

The chemical odor was truly overwhelming, but we let it sit over night.  In the morning the water was crystal clear 8) and after about 18 hours we got in with almost no chemical smell and are still alive to talk about it.

We have a ~500 gallon grandee.

-Ed

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 10:19:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42