What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ozonator upgrade  (Read 4014 times)

yokeman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
ozonator upgrade
« on: October 13, 2004, 08:10:30 am »
 looking into up grading my older tub to ozone.
from what i have seen on the web installation appears to be fairly straight forward.

wire in the ozonator to operate when the circulattion pump kicks on or when the lower speed of a 2 sp pump used for circulation kicks on.  okay ...my question, when connecting the air line to the jet tubing is it a good idea to install a check valve to prevent intrusion of tub water backflow into the ozonator unit?

and have i missed anything on the installation.

also are there any recommendations on what brand ozonator to use?

appreciate all answers.....thanks

Hot Tub Forum

ozonator upgrade
« on: October 13, 2004, 08:10:30 am »

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
Re: ozonator upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 10:11:38 am »
I'm not sure if the ozone kit comes with a contact chamber, but I would look into one.  

Ozone needs time to mix with the water, and a number that is bandied on this board alot is 22 seconds before ozone is "absorbed" ? by the water.

If the ozone isn't in contact with the water for at least 22 seconds it will come bubbling up out of the top of your water and could be irritating or, at least, provide an unpleasant odor.

Some spa manufacturers use 1 (or 2) contact chambers that vary in length from 10' to much more (doesn't D1 use soemthing like a 20' or 30' total contact chamber(s) length?)

I would look to find a way to keep the ozone in a chamber where it can really be mixed up first.

Secondly, I have heard that there are three types of ozone generators - UV bulb, CD, and plasma (new?)  UV bulbs degrade over time and people recommend that 24/7 ones get a new bulb each year.  CD ones have either a replacable chip(replace each 3-5 years) or replace the unit (7-10 years?).  They generate more ozone than UV bulbs.  Plasma generates more than CD, I think, but have no specs.

Might not answer your question, but just some thoughts.

_Ed

yokeman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:12:43 pm »
 ed,  thanks for your advice on the ozonator, you've been very helpful.

yokeman

UnderTheStars

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 11:24:17 pm »
Hi Yokeman!  Check out this site (it's a retail site but has some good info on ozone and how to install.)  Play with the links, there's quite a bit of good info here:

http://www.hottubessentials.ca/installing_ozonators.htm

You might also want to look at this manufacturers website for Del (a top brand of corona discharge type ozonators:)

http://www.delozone.com/products-oemspa.html

Finally, let me assure you, I don't work for either of these guys!  I bought my first hottub 2 mos. ago.  It's a HotSpring and has the Del ozonator.  Good luck, hope this helps!
Stars

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 02:24:13 pm »
Finally, let me assure you, I don't work for either of these guys!  I bought my first hottub 2 mos. ago.  It's a HotSpring and has the Del ozonator.  Good luck, hope this helps!
Stars

I seem to remember Chas at one point stating that hot springs uses an ozonator that is (I believe) a Del but one that Del makes specifically for hot springs and is a bit "sturdier"?? than their other ozonators.

Not sure if this is true or what the actual differences are, maybe if Chas is reading this he can chime in.  But I seem to recall him saying that someone makes an ozonator *just* for hot springs.  Don't know if it is possible to get your hands on one of those.

-Ed

UnderTheStars

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 06:40:48 pm »
Del does make the HS ozone unit, it is labeled "Freshwater III."  My local HS dealer sells it for about $300 as an after-sale accessory.   You would have to call an HS dealer to ask if they are able/willing to sell it for a non-HS tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 06:40:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42