What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too much chlorine!!!!  (Read 35348 times)

Kelley

Too much chlorine!!!!
« on: October 12, 2004, 09:59:23 am »
Help!
I've overchlorinated my tub. The test strip says it's at least 10ppm. To see how far above 10ppm it is, I took quarter cup of tub water and diluted it in half then tested. The diluted sample is a little lower than 10ppm.
Should I drain the tub?
Run the jets for 24 hours?
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Hot Tub Forum

Too much chlorine!!!!
« on: October 12, 2004, 09:59:23 am »

newtotubbing

• Lovin' my Vista
Re: Too much chlorine!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 10:03:26 am »
I believe the chlorine will disipate all by itself.  It just takes some time.  

Others who know better than me can add to this and correct me if I am wrong.

Jonathan

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
Re: Too much chlorine
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:27:27 am »
Kelley, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Chlorine disipates in a hot tub pretty quickly. How much did you put in? I've shocked my tub (500 gal.) with 3 or 4 tspns and I think Northman and Vermonter say 3 TBLSPNS. Anyhow you might want to leave the cover off and run the jets an hour or so. Leave it for a day and I bet it will come back in line or even be under.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 10:28:53 am by Warkovision »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 10:55:34 am »
It should dissapate quickly as others have suggested. Meanwhile, how is your water level? If it is below the max point and you want to use your tub soon, add some water and dillute the tub the way you did your sample.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Kelley

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 11:10:18 am »
I think I'll drain the tub halfway and refill then run the jets with the cover off.
Does anyone know how dangerous it is to use a tub that's between 5 and 10 ppm chlorine?

Warkovision

• West and Wewaxsation, at Wast!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 11:29:32 am »
I think you want it between 1 and 3ppm. If you have ozone and silver ion (Nature2/EverFresh/etc.) people say you can get by with .5 to 1.5 ppm.
Here are some water chemistry links that I found very helpfull. Good luck.

http://www.rhtubs.com/info/water.htm

http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl

(Go to #2 and click on FAQ and then click on Northman and Vermonters water maintenance threads.)

I think I'll drain the tub halfway and refill then run the jets with the cover off.
Does anyone know how dangerous it is to use a tub that's between 5 and 10 ppm chlorine?

bethshar

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 03:03:21 pm »
The chlorine will disipate in time - give it a day.  No need to drain any.  You just gave it a good shock.

CalicoskiesNC

• In hot water since July 2004, love our Optima
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 04:38:20 pm »
I read somewhere that its safe to use the tub at 5ppm of Chlorine or lower.  Cant recall my source tho, did alot of reading when we got the tub. Just memorized facts.  

Oskar

• 2003 Marquis Reward
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 11:22:57 am »
Check the chlorine level of the water coming out of your tap, mine is way over ten and people drink this, I don't I have a RO system, they bath their babies in it, cook with it, shower or bath themselves with it, so I can't see why sitting in a hot tub for 20 minutes or so will hurt you unless you have a strong smell of chlorine gas emitting from the tub, in that case you will probably have one heck of an overdose of dichlor.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 11:22:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42