What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: In-Line Filters  (Read 3242 times)

TALKCalgary.com

In-Line Filters
« on: October 10, 2004, 12:16:49 am »
I was wondering if there would be a benefit to fitting an in-line filter to the circulation pump on a Beachcomber? Since this pump runs 24 hours a day drawing water from the bottom of the spa, surely it would be beneficial to have it filtering this lower level water! Any thoughts?

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

In-Line Filters
« on: October 10, 2004, 12:16:49 am »

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
Re: In-Line Filters
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 01:36:56 am »
no.

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 03:18:26 pm »
no.

Hmm. Well I guess that just about takes care of that question :-)

Steve
PS Thanks for the background info on Gentleman Jim I can see now why people don't want this guy around.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 05:02:52 pm »
I'm only familiar with the newer models of Beachcomber spas, and they pull some water through the filter, and the rest through the bottom fitting.  So adding a filter might help a bit, but I don't think it would be worth the effort as far as a noticable change in water clarity.

If you are sure your tub is only drawing from the bottom then an inline filter might help. If you have the outside equipment, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Be sure to include a couple of valves so you can open the filter canister while the tub is full of water - but be sure you use ball valves so they can't vibrate closed as soon as your back is turned.  :)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:37:49 am »
I'm only familiar with the newer models of Beachcomber spas, and they pull some water through the filter, and the rest through the bottom fitting.  So adding a filter might help a bit, but I don't think it would be worth the effort as far as a noticable change in water clarity.

If you are sure your tub is only drawing from the bottom then an inline filter might help. If you have the outside equipment, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Be sure to include a couple of valves so you can open the filter canister while the tub is full of water - but be sure you use ball valves so they can't vibrate closed as soon as your back is turned.  :)

Thanks Chas

The reason I asked this question is I noticed that on our new Beachcomber the water intakes are at the bottom of the tub. True some water is filtered via the skimmer at the top, but not the water which is being ingested directly into the 24 hour circulation pump from the foot wells. After all, not all water impurities float. ;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 01:44:10 am »
Well then an extra filter might be of help. You could get a filter with the right sized plumbing and put it in easily - with or without the valves. I say this because it would only be filtering any 'stuff' that goes in the bottom inlets. At that point, you may not have to clean it any more often than at water change time.

Cal Spa did something like this years ago - and I had plenty of customers who didn't know the second filter even existed. It sometimes took years to plug it up, since the top-load filter caught most of the dirt.

Glued connections at the filter are more trouble-free than threaded, but be sure to leave a few inches of pipe - free of fittings - in case you need to do a repair later.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 12:34:02 pm »
Hey TALK:

My circ pump uses one of the large canister filters in the filter box in a separate circuit arrangement.  Each week, it's the dirtiest filter I clean.

Just a thought, but an in-line might create a good bit of work on your part.  I don't know how difficult it would be to open and clean?

Drewski

:)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 12:34:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42