What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: sanitizer levels.  (Read 3635 times)

TALKCalgary.com

sanitizer levels.
« on: October 04, 2004, 01:12:46 am »
QUESTION.

If four people spend around 1 hour in a spa each night, should the sanitizer levels (in our case bromine) be kept at a higher than normal level, for example 12ppm? I have been keeping our levels around 4ppm, but I was finding that after we get out we have a zero sanitizer level. Does this mean I have to shock the water every night?

Finally, can high levels of sanitizer cause damage to spa covers? If so, how high is high?

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

sanitizer levels.
« on: October 04, 2004, 01:12:46 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: sanitizer levels.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:09:38 am »
I don't think I would want to be soaking in 12ppm of bromine.  Add a little dichlor when your bromine levels get to zero after a heavy bather load.  It acts like a mini shock to get some quick sanitizer action going.  It is better than constantly adjusting bromine levels.

Jordy

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 12:58:40 am »
Check with your dealer and ask him what product he carries that is a "non-chlorine/non-bromine" shock. He should carry a product that "oxidizes" the water. A granular "oxidizer" product will remove the "used" (combined chlorine) sanitizer in the water and will increase the amount of "free chlorine" in the spawater. You should be able to use your spa uninterrupted. The other option is that you could add granular bromine/chlorine to the spawater every hour or so to maintain a safe ppm. In most cases, because you are adding such a small amount, that you shouldn't have to interrupt your enjoyment of the spa. P.S.-You will notice more of an odour if you are using a chlorine system vs. a bromine system. Sounds like you're getting a lot of use and enjoyment from your hot tub. I take it you feel you made a wise investment in your physical, mental and social health!!! ;D

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 01:27:30 am »
Sounds like you're getting a lot of use and enjoyment from your hot tub. I take it you feel you made a wise investment in your physical, mental and social health!!! ;D

Jordy

This is one of the best investments I have ever made. I sleep better, work better and am more relaxed than I have been in a long time. I could not have belived that something as simple as a spa could make such a difference to our lives.

Jordy

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 01:40:19 am »
TALKCalgary,

Your response is heartwarming. It is a reminder to me of why I love going to work in the morning. I am so happy to hear that you are so satisfied with your decision. I hope you share your positive experience with as many people as possible so that they can enjoy the same benefits of a hot tub that you have. P.S.- As I recall, you are the proud owner of a Beachcomber Hot Tub, aren't you? Please correct me if I am wrong.

TALKCalgary.com

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 11:46:11 pm »
TALKCalgary,

Your response is heartwarming. It is a reminder to me of why I love going to work in the morning. I am so happy to hear that you are so satisfied with your decision. I hope you share your positive experience with as many people as possible so that they can enjoy the same benefits of a hot tub that you have. P.S.- As I recall, you are the proud owner of a Beachcomber Hot Tub, aren't you? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Jordy

You're right we went for the Beachcomber 750LE with turbo air, garden light package and two 4.5 HP motors. The reason we went for the Beachcomber was due in part to the depth of the seats (I'm 6ft-2) together with the overall comfort of the shell. But that was not the only reason. As first time buyers we also had to feel happy with our dealer. For example, Arctic had a very nice spa in the Tundra. The problem was that we simply did not feel happy with the local Arctic guys, who after trashing every other dealer in our city, went straight for the hard close saying that "we would be mad to purchase from anyone else but them", and that the only way we could secure that days "special pricing" was to give them a $250.00 deposit, after which we could come back to do the minor things such as actually decide on a model!  :'(

Looking back, I feel we spent far to much time worrying about the pros and cons of various construction techniques and being dazzled by smoke and mirrors. I recall when we first started looking, someone on this forum wisely pointed out that - all the top manufactures produce good spas. They all cost around the same to run and they all have their own particular plus and minus points. How true!   I guess the important thing to remember (apart from wet testing) is to go with a dealer you feel comfortable with and who stocks a well known name.

As for the most important thing we have learned - Well that's simple! Buying a spa is one of the best leisure investments anyone can make! :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 11:46:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42