What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: concrete versus landscape ties  (Read 8444 times)

soclosetobuying

concrete versus landscape ties
« on: October 04, 2004, 05:36:20 pm »
I'm about to buy a hot tub and I was under the impression I'd have to pour concrete-which would be a huge pain because my back yeard is up a hill. the dealer said I could place it on three landscape ties--he described them like train tracks.
what are your thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

concrete versus landscape ties
« on: October 04, 2004, 05:36:20 pm »

Elle

• Underpromise; overdeliver.
Re: concrete versus landscape ties
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 06:30:41 pm »
The best thing you can do is pour a concrete pad.  If you are going to invest in a good hot tub, you owe it to yourself to do the job all the way to perfect spatopia.  The last thing you want to worry about it your tub shifting and sliding down hill.

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 06:45:50 pm »
Not only that but I would think there wouldn't be enough support with 3 ties.

soclosetobuying

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 07:14:26 pm »
why would a guy who is trying to get my business (and is going to do the electrical, etc.) tell me this if it's not true?

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 09:03:09 pm »
Just to add in my 2cents, we had landscape ties in our back yard as steps on a hill. They became infested with ants and we yanked them out.

I think that concrete would hold up better!
Jan
Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

ttodd1

• Life is so much better in my Cameo
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 10:23:59 pm »
why would a guy who is trying to get my business (and is going to do the electrical, etc.) tell me this if it's not true?

To get your business and not service after the sale? (this of course based on not knowing who your dealer is)  Besides I don't think a spa sliding down a hillside is covered under warranty, or the ant infestation, or the cracks in the shell from lack of proper support under it.  But hey that is MHO.  

zacman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 11:41:57 pm »
It is hard to answer not knowing precisely what you are doing - what kind of a hill - how much slope - where the access is and so on.  But, I would not do it personally.  However, if your circumstances permit, perhaps you could sink some concrete piers - deep and of sufficient diameter to serve as the down hill side supports on which you could put correct size of lumber (treated) to build a deck like structure to support the spa.  The concern I have, and others have is that everything is going to go down hill.  Perhaps something like I descibr above may work BUT - get the advice of local expert who can visit the site. . .

Bubbles

• Calls 'em as I sees 'em
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 11:43:26 pm »
Pressure treated wood makes a great base. Concrete is a great conductor of cold and therefore makes a very poor base if in a cold climate.

Pouring a concrete pad is in no way recommended as we all know concrete can and will crack as well as settle. Those who think it's the best are wrong. If one area settles more than another, what happens to your tub? If it's on a proper pressure treated wood structure, settling allows the entire unit to move instead of one corner. Not to mention way less expensive.

goingwarp

• nothin like tubbin after a long day
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 12:02:43 am »
the place I am buying my tub from recomended useing 5 6x6 's (presure treated) dig thm into the ground about 2inches and get crushed rock and ut it in between the 6x6's  then lay the tub down

noles2000

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 10:32:26 am »
I just had a hot tub installed.  I live in the northeast and what bubbles wrote makes great sense.  " Concrete is a great conductor of cold and therefore makes a very poor base if in a cold climate."

Many people I know have their tub installed on railroad ties so I decided to do the same.  

My landscaper dug a hole about 3", laid a layer of something he said would create an insulation layer and prevent weeds from coming up, made a square out of 4 ties and then put another support tie in the middle.  He then filled the inside with crushed stone and used a tamper to pack this in as tight as he could.  He said 6" of crushed stone in there would not go anywhere and as it settled we would never have to worry about cracking (as with concrete).

I've got to believe this is the best way, in my area, since I know at least 3 others that have done this and have not had problems.

soclosetobuying

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 04:18:38 pm »
The area where the hot tub will be is flat dirt ground. It's just up a hill to get there--so pouring the concrete would be a hassle.
Does this change anyone's opinion?
I'm assuming the ties are set into the ground in concrete (kind of like a fence post, right?)

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 09:22:30 pm »
I had a 4" difference in the area where my spa is.  I dug in 6x6's to level as a frame and also used additional 6x6's to catch the leveling points on my spa.  I then backfilled the spa area as well as a patio around it with gravel.  Worked great and was inexpensive.  In the spring I may put a wood over the gravel.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2004, 09:22:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42