What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Time Buyer - Nordic Sight Unseen vs Local Viking/Hot Spring  (Read 3553 times)

AnderSuitt

After my initial research, I was really drawn to the quality and simplicity of Nordic. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer is an hour away and they don't have any in stock (it sounded like it isn't a brand they sell a lot of). They can order one but I wouldn't even see it first, let alone wet test it. That dealer also carries Bullfrog and InnovaSpa.
-Also, does anyone know what the current wait time is for Nordic orders?

Option B is a very reputable dealer in my city. They carry Viking and Hot Spring and have several in stock now and will have more in a few weeks. I've read a lot of great things about Hot Spring Highlife line, but the cost is MUCH higher. I'm hesitant to spend that much for our first hot tub. But I'm not sure how long the Viking lasts comparatively, and I don't want to spend money on something that isn't as high quality either.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Hot tub will be used primarily for relaxation and probably as a "pool alternative" for our small kids during the summer. We live in Louisiana, so it's mild-hot most of the year.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:45:13 am by AnderSuitt »

Hot Tub Forum

cranbiz

Re: First Time Buyer - Nordic Sight Unseen vs Local Viking/Hot Spring
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 10:24:33 am »
Buying sight unseen isn't usually wise. If the dealer doesn't have the exact model, at least looking at, sitting in and if possible wet testing a similar model will at lease give you a feel for the manufacturer and more importantly, things like seating depth, jet placement and interior space feel. My guess is for any manufacturers new order, you are looking at 2022 for delivery if it's not in stock or an unsold piece in a stocking order that has been in the pipeline for some time.

I don't know anything about the Viking, There is only one dealer in my area with them and even though Viking said they were a dealer, they were not a stocking dealer so I wasn't able to look at one. To me, that was a red flag.

Hot Springs does make a good, solid tub and should give you years of service. You do pay for them though, as you have found out.

Do you have an Artesian dealer in the area? They make several lines of tubs and are a quality manufacturer.

AnderSuitt

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 10:41:07 am »
I don't think they even have any models similar to the Nordic unfortunately.
We do have an Artesian dealer, but the reviews for that dealer online are TERRIBLE compared to the other two.

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 11:19:08 am »
We do have an Artesian dealer, but the reviews for that dealer online are TERRIBLE compared to the other two.

Are you looking at a round tub? That would be hard to get from most other manufacturers. Any square or rectangular tub should be similar. Sure features and jet count would be different but there are many no-frills tubs on the market by well known manufacturers.

Shame on the Artesian dealer. The importance of a good dealer and you being comfortable with said dealer can not be understated.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 12:33:33 pm »

No reason to limit yourself on adding other options. Artesian as another choice would normally be fine but doesn't sound like your local dealer for that brand is well thought of in your area but you could also consider Arctic, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Jacuzzi, Sundance... if you wanted to bring in other choices though I assume you already knew there were other options.

Comparing Nordic to Hot Spring is kind of an odd duck but just means you're not sure what direction to go in but that depends on your budget and exactly what you're looking for/wanting. Both are good options but at different prices ranges, different options, different hydrotherapy, length of warranty...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

AnderSuitt

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 01:23:11 pm »

Are you looking at a round tub? That would be hard to get from most other manufacturers. Any square or rectangular tub should be similar. Sure features and jet count would be different but there are many no-frills tubs on the market by well known manufacturers.

Shame on the Artesian dealer. The importance of a good dealer and you being comfortable with said dealer can not be understated.

I'm not specifically looking for round. I'm open to square and rectangular, as well.

AnderSuitt

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 01:25:02 pm »

No reason to limit yourself on adding other options. Artesian as another choice would normally be fine but doesn't sound like your local dealer for that brand is well thought of in your area but you could also consider Arctic, Bullfrog, Caldera, D1, Jacuzzi, Sundance... if you wanted to bring in other choices though I assume you already knew there were other options.

Comparing Nordic to Hot Spring is kind of an odd duck but just means you're not sure what direction to go in but that depends on your budget and exactly what you're looking for/wanting. Both are good options but at different prices ranges, different options, different hydrotherapy, length of warranty...

I haven't found any local dealers that carry the brands you listed above other than Bullfrog (same dealer that would typically carry Nordic), but I'll double check and see. I totally understand about Nordic and Hot Spring not being very comparable. I think Hot Spring is probably more than we want to spend.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 02:10:28 pm »

I haven't found any local dealers that carry the brands you listed above other than Bullfrog (same dealer that would typically carry Nordic), but I'll double check and see. I totally understand about Nordic and Hot Spring not being very comparable. I think Hot Spring is probably more than we want to spend.

Obviously every dealer is different and I'd expect you got to know what products each dealer carries but Hot Springs dealer typically have models in tiers (starter types, mid level, mid-high, premium) so I'd expect they'd have a few options in the general price range of the Nordic models unless that dealer is only carrying top line models which isn't typically the case.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

AnderSuitt

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 03:14:53 pm »

Obviously every dealer is different and I'd expect you got to know what products each dealer carries but Hot Springs dealer typically have models in tiers (starter types, mid level, mid-high, premium) so I'd expect they'd have a few options in the general price range of the Nordic models unless that dealer is only carrying top line models which isn't typically the case.

Yes they do have the lower and mid tier options. I think even the lower tier is a little higher than the Nordic, but I had also read somewhere that the quality on the lower tier Hot Spring models isn't worth the cost. But again, I'm not an expert in that area so that could be wrong!

Sammi

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 03:32:00 pm »
For what its worth the Limelight series is a solid tub - a step down in cost from Highlife but you don't give up all that much in features. Not sure what the cost difference is though.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 05:27:27 pm »

Yes they do have the lower and mid tier options. I think even the lower tier is a little higher than the Nordic, but I had also read somewhere that the quality on the lower tier Hot Spring models isn't worth the cost. But again, I'm not an expert in that area so that could be wrong!

Hot spot from Hot Springs should be priced comparable to LS series Nordic hot tubs. Which models are you considering?

AnderSuitt

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 08:10:01 pm »

Hot spot from Hot Springs should be priced comparable to LS series Nordic hot tubs. Which models are you considering?

From Nordic I am primarily looking at the Crown II or the Retreat MS

For Hot Spring - I am indifferent to the saltwater option which I know doesn't come on the Hotspot. How big of a deal are things like the no-bypass filtration, warranty differences, and other options not offered by the Hot Spot?

I'm thinking this weekend we'll drive the hour to check out the dealer that has the Bullfrog options, as well to compare. I'm assuming maybe the X or R series bullfrog would be similar to the Nordic and Hot Spot options?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 09:03:31 pm »
Retreat MS is a nice model. Probably Nordic most popular model. Crown II I don’t think I would buy without sitting in it. Hot Spot is good line. More basic Jetting, lesser warranty but comfortable tubs. Depending on model you look at it will be more expensive then either of those 2 nordics. Bullfrog X series is probably priced a bit higher then hot spot. How many people do you want to fit comfortably in a hot tub?  The Retreat will fit 4 adults but it’s a bit snug. Good family tub. 2 adults and 2 children. If you are looking to fit 4-5 adults maybe look at the Nordic Jubilee SE, bullfrog x7 or Hot Spot rhythm.

AnderSuitt

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 03:48:57 pm »
Retreat MS is a nice model. Probably Nordic most popular model. Crown II I don’t think I would buy without sitting in it. Hot Spot is good line. More basic Jetting, lesser warranty but comfortable tubs. Depending on model you look at it will be more expensive then either of those 2 nordics. Bullfrog X series is probably priced a bit higher then hot spot. How many people do you want to fit comfortably in a hot tub?  The Retreat will fit 4 adults but it’s a bit snug. Good family tub. 2 adults and 2 children. If you are looking to fit 4-5 adults maybe look at the Nordic Jubilee SE, bullfrog x7 or Hot Spot rhythm.

This is a huge help! Thank you! So many choices. Definitely feeling that analysis paralysis kicking in. It would mostly just be our family of 4, but we might want to sometimes have a couple friends over so I'd like the flexibility and will look at those options you mentioned!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 03:48:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42