What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Philosophy 101  (Read 5277 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Philosophy 101
« on: September 28, 2004, 05:09:12 pm »
Many of us here are philosophers in our own right, we “preach” our thoughts and beliefs with great passion yet at times put more emotion than thought into it. Here is a philosophical thought I wrote for a literary journal many years ago that might apply.  

Most great thinkers through time were really great expounders. How many of them had an original idea?  Philosophy is the art of commenting with great thought on something you have heard or seen. We as humans have had all of this knowledge for thousands of years yet are just now expanding on ways to use it. Think about it, the same great political speeches of the distant past are now given with a modern twist, the same subject, the same dirt, and the same promises but we have learned to be a little more eloquent to the generation. The same dirty jokes told by school yard boys 20 years ago are now given modern names and places but are the still the same dirty jokes. All of the advice we give to our children is the same advice our great grandfathers gave to their kids. We advise about cars, stocks and relationships; they advised about wagons, crops and relationships: same play different props and new players. I challenge the literary world of today to bring forth a champion – a Ralph Waldo Emerson or a Plato of our generation. The playing field is bigger, the players better trained, the fans more informed and the competition fiercer. Now we just need a hero, someone big enough to be a new Shakespeare and do it soon. Not a self-help guru but a passionate make you want to fight or cry kind of writer. Some one that can describe the way a rose smells or how we felt the first time we ever made love and do it in a way that is new and refreshing. Sure, plagiarize a song or a poem, I’m sure that the greats of old did, but expound on it with a new awareness that wakes us from our boring repose and for a brief moment makes us live in that outer realm. Ordinary has gotten very big so lets make extraordinary fit the picture!

If we can mold these writings to fit our industry then maybe we can “spread the word” in what the joy of spa ownership is, the family time, the rejuvenation and reconnecting with ourselves. Although there is a necessity to answer the technical I would love to see more posts outlining the poetry of setting in a spa with loved ones at the end of a long day.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:52:08 pm by stuart »

Hot Tub Forum

Philosophy 101
« on: September 28, 2004, 05:09:12 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Philosophy 101
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 05:41:18 pm »
Well, Alexander Pope said it best, "To err is human, to soak divine."

I have had many priceless moments in my tub, listening to my kids. First my son, now 21, and more recently my 15 year old daughter. Barriers come down, the heart is revealed. I can't tell you how important these quiet moments are in maintaining the relationships I cherish, with the people I love.

My kids are my best friends - my wife is too. That's not something that happens by accident. We have worked hard to keep the communication open, and our tub is one tool that makes that easier.

I used to say to couples, " you'll do something in this spa that you can't do enough as a married couple." Dramatic pause... "Talk to each other."

I can't say that any more without a chuckle or even a snicker, so I don't  -  I don't want to profane the truth. If they get it, they get it. If they don't, then they are passing up a rich opportunity to improve their life.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 08:04:32 pm »
Thank you Chas!

I have to share a story that happened today.

Last Friday I delivered a new Marquis Euphoria to a customer that was stressed over his teenage kids and in a bad mood during the delivery. I called him today to see how things were going and this is what he said; "I came down Saturday morning and my 15 year old daughter that never gets out bed before noon on the weekends was making coffee in the kitchen. She smiled when I walked  in and told me my coffee was almost done and would I like to take it out and get in the spa with her?"

He told me that he stood there in amazement for a moment and then took her up on her offer! He said the he had the best conversation for over an hour with a teenager that has not given him the time of day for months! His final words were "We might have found a new center of communication in our relationship!"

That is the epitome of reconnecting!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 10:03:45 pm »
I have a 3 month old baby, so no great stories like these yet. I have had many a customer tell me how their relationships with teenagers has improved. In fact, I forgot all about those great stories until I red this post.

Thanks for the reminder Stu

HTMan
Homeworks Financing Representative

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 10:19:50 pm »
I have a 3 month old baby, so no great stories like these yet. I have had many a customer tell me how their relationships with teenagers has improved. In fact, I forgot all about those great stories until I red this post.

Thanks for the reminder Stu

HTMan

HTM,
Your stories are just beginning. The first word my little girl (almost 5) learned to spell was SPA! My wife and I would spell it out when asking each other if the other wanted to get in so as not to excite her if we weren't going to. One day when she was about 3 she said "I know that spells Spa and yes I want to get in!"

When I get in the spa with my daughter I'm King trident and the Prince both, she's Arial.  I rule the sea for her, conquer the mean sea witch and fall in love with the fairy princess in less than 30 minuets! I so look forward to this! It recharges my battery and completes me!

You have all of this to look forward to…..
:)

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 10:25:02 am »
Stuart and Chas,
Great stories.  Definitely better than the stories in the thread “Here is a mistake not to make.”
Chris

Chas_is_back

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 11:50:17 am »
i agree, great stories!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 11:56:54 am »
I would love to see more posts outlining the poetry of setting in a spa with loved ones at the end of a long day.

I always hated poetry in school, and still do, but simply put to add to the other already good posts,  the spa has replaced the dinner table for communication in our house.   I was one of those growing up in the Leave it to Beaver 60s where we always ate dinner together. That doesn't happen with us today, but 80% of the time we are now ending our days together for 30 minutes in the hot tub.

Maybe a good marketing poster would be a family in a tub with the only words, "reconnect"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 11:57:52 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 02:12:42 pm »

I always hated poetry in school, and still do, but simply put to add to the other already good posts,  the spa has replaced the dinner table for communication in our house.   I was one of those growing up in the Leave it to Beaver 60s where we always ate dinner together. That doesn't happen with us today, but 80% of the time we are now ending our days together for 30 minutes in the hot tub.

Maybe a good marketing poster would be a family in a tub with the only words, "reconnect"

We actually made a brochure for our store from a plagiarized marketing campaign. It shows feet sticking out of a spa and says "Add toes + water, mix thoroughly with bubbles and you get a family.... RECONNECTED

wm,
There is poetry in the realistic simplicity of your post....

thanks for sharing!

tazman

• don't test the depth of a stream with both feet!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 06:27:09 pm »
This is a good topic...

My wife and I have an agreement to take our heated debates to the spa. It's kind of hard to be in an intimate environment like that and let yourself get angry. I like the story of the teenage daughter, when my daughter was a teenager the spa was where we got along the best!  :)

As a young couple getting to know each other I will never forget the long talks my wife and I had under the stars, reminiscing about how we got together and planning for our future. We came up with most of our business plan in the spa!

BTW, I know Stu and don't kid yourself, he's not as sappy as he sounds here! ;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 07:35:58 pm »
BTW, I know Stu and don't kid yourself, he's not as sappy as he sounds here!

Sappy? That's real poetic! Your pushing it buddy! ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 12:41:22 pm by stuart »

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 12:44:06 pm »
Being a published poet, I just have to add my $.02.

I don't have kids.  My husband isn't big on the tub (he says it makes him too hot).  Anyway, I love the quiet time I get by myself.  I can let my mind become a blank slate, no thoughts, no worries, just meditate and reconnect with myself.  It helps keep me anchored in the present, keeps me grounded and able to face another day!

Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 01:18:14 pm »
Being a published poet, I just have to add my $.02.

My husband isn't big on the tub (he says it makes him too hot).

You know Lori, Oh, never mind, your straight lines are too easy, I'll let this one be.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 04:58:03 pm »
That one wasn't intentional.   :-X
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 09:19:54 pm »
We have had our tub for just over 6 weeks now.  At first it was more exciting and novel - but now it's becoming more of a retreat.  

I love the evenings where after dinner, and after play, my 18 month old daughter and I climb in for 20 minutes of water time.  Watching her try to catch the bubbles or giggle when the ducks go by... there is nothing better!  We sing and 'talk' - it's just a really special time.  No distractions, just nice water and two happy gals!

Reading some of what the rest of you say - I hope that our hot tub continues to be a place of family connection and reconnection!  

Jodi
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 09:19:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42