What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Long Term Report D1 Arena 10 Years Plus  (Read 1893 times)

Jet Sitter Returns

Long Term Report D1 Arena 10 Years Plus
« on: March 29, 2021, 04:15:53 pm »
Hello All - This site was a tremendous help for me many years ago when I was shopping for a hot tub. I used to log in as Jet Sitter, but can’t find my info so I am creating an account as Jet Sitter Returns. As I fill the tub today, I thought that I’d check in with a report - sorry if it is too long.

Tub Selection

After wet testing many tubs from different manufacturers I almost bought a Dimension One Nautilus in 2008. Because I wanted to do a full backyard remodel first, I decided to wait and after more reflection purchased a D1 Arena in August 2010.

From wet testing we learned that we did not want a lounge and that not many spas had seats that all worked for my wife and me - didn’t want pillows or weights or other “problem solvers” that I read others resorting to. We also liked variety in jetting, including having seating without jets. The Arena only has 14 jets but they worked well and we liked the simplicity. While some sculpted seats were comfortable they often seemed a bit confining. In the end we went with the Arena because the bench seating offered great flexibility as we sometimes turn sideways or angle our legs differently. I have plenty of room to do some stretching as well. We looked at other round spas but they seemed too small, preferring the larger diameter and spaciousness of the Arena.

Use

My wife and I use the tub every other day on average. My children have also used the tub from time to time. Occasionally we’ll get in with friends and the tub seats four very comfortably. In total we have probably spent around 2000 person hours in the tub. It can seat six or maybe more, but then it can seem a bit too cozy and you can’t freely move to a different seat. There are a limited number of jets but the jetting is strong and works well for us. We especially like the volcano jet in the bottom center and the whirlpool jet that creates a general swirling effect in the tub.

The tub is set into an ipe wood deck that surrounds the tub, with the deck at about the tub seat height. We can easily enter or exit from anywhere around the tub - no steps required. There are an infinite number of places to set a drink on the continuous rim.

We do not have a cover lifter because we didn’t want to look at the raised cover and we have privacy from a nearby fence. When we remove the cover we simply fold it back, lift it and move it behind the tub where it sits on a low bench that I made for that purpose and a low wall at the same height. I have removed the cover by myself but 98% of the time two or more people use the tub and it is very easy to move with two people.

Maintenance

Since the installation in August 2010 today is the nineteenth fill, so we are averaging more than six months between fills. I use the Dichlor-Bleach Method, pouring the bleach from a graduated one liter Nalgene bottle. A couple of days after a fill, I’ll add boric acid to stabilize pH. Aside from occasionally using the Grit Gitter, the only maintenance I do is to drain and fill the tub, swap out the filter and occasionally treat the cover with 303 protectant. At first I would rinse the filter every week or two. Now I never rinse it until I drain the tub, which I do with a small submersible pump. I have two filters so I can put a clean one in immediately after filling while the one that was removed soaks in detergent. After draining in the morning, the tub is filled, balanced, heated and ready to go by early evening. I use the Taylor test kit to check the chems but once everything is up and running our use is so regular that I rarely need to test. Over the holidays with different use I usually need to test more.

Repairs and Replacement Parts

The tub came with one pump for the jets, a circulation pump and an ozone generator. Rather than replace the ozone generator annually to keep it effective, I have never replaced it and just maintain the water with dichlor and bleach. I used the Nature 2 treatment early on but have not used it in many years.

The heater, jet pump and circ pump are still going strong - fingers crossed. The only part that we have replaced is a small barbed elbow, accessible from the equipment bay, that cracked and caused the tub to drain about half empty. I bought the part at Home Depot for less than $1 and installed it myself.

No headrests to replace, nothing but the filters. I am on my 3rd pair of filters, getting about four years of use from each pair, or two years per filter.

We have never replaced the cover, but will probably do so this summer. Yes it is now heavy and doesn’t insulate as well as it once did but our Seattle weather is pretty mild and the cover is otherwise in pretty decent shape. I think not having a cover lifter helps because it appears that they can cause quite a bit of strain on the center seam. But it is starting to show it’s age and I’m sure we’ll appreciate the better insulating qualities of the new cover.

Bottom line - we are extremely happy with our D1 Arena and if we needed to replace it i would get another one.

Hot Tub Forum

Long Term Report D1 Arena 10 Years Plus
« on: March 29, 2021, 04:15:53 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Long Term Report D1 Arena 10 Years Plus
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:15:34 am »
Glad we could help. The Nautilus is my personal favorite tub. I wonder if they still make the Arena?
Retired

Jet Sitter Returns

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 02:32:43 pm »
Thanks TMan - I remember you from "back in the day".

They made the Arena for so many years I assumed that they would make them forever. They were in the "Reflections Collection" when we bought ours which means they had the ozone, circ pump and lighting, which are lacking in the Home Collection. Their website shows a picture of the Arena on the Home Collection link but I don't see it listed with description in the tubs.

Dimension One seemed to make very good tubs but their distributor network was more limited making them harder to find and they don't have much presence in the forum. I got mine from a good dealer located an hour and a half away.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 02:32:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42