What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Taylor Test Kit results  (Read 2350 times)

Miles

First Taylor Test Kit results
« on: March 07, 2021, 11:06:45 am »
My new spa was recently installed, and I'm a first-time owner.  I recently ordered a Taylor test kit (K-2106) after seeing them recommended over the test strips.  First set of measurements from the test kit, taken yesterday afternoon, were:

Bromine: 16 ppm (I had shocked the spa a few hours earlier; previous bromine readings per water testing were between 0.5 and 1.0 ppm)
pH: 7.4
TA: 60
Hardness: 70 (no water softener; this is just our city water from the outside hose)

I added 2 oz of baking soda after testing and plan to retest today.  I have been frustrated by low bromine levels since starting the spa up, even though I added bromine granules to create a bank.  I'm using 3 tablets per week in a floater.  Let me know if you have suggestions. 

The kit itself was easy and fun to use.  I've created a spreadsheet to track things.  And of course, the spa itself is wonderful.

Hot Tub Forum

First Taylor Test Kit results
« on: March 07, 2021, 11:06:45 am »

A.O.

Re: First Taylor Test Kit results
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 06:05:20 pm »
I've never tried bromine so I cannot comment on that..

My test this afternoon
FC 5
PH 7.6
TA 40
CYA 35
Hardness negligible.. natural soft water out of my well.. I rarely even test for it any more.

My PH pretty much stays the same anymore, I'm in the tub usually twice a day , morning and evening.. I add about 2 1/2 oz of liquid chlorine after use each time and that is about it. No more chemicals other than maybe 1/2oz muriatic acid a couple times a week sometimes to keep my PH in check.

I use a Taylor 2005 kit and keep some test strips around for a quick check on occasion.

Miles

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 06:38:26 pm »
Yesterday I was at 8.5 Bromine, 7.6 pH, and 90 TA.  Didn't measure hardness again because I don't expect it to change. 

A.O.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 07:25:19 pm »
Have you checked your CYA?  For a hot tub 30-40 seems good

vippoolsandspas

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 08:33:32 pm »
Stop using the "pucks".  Just use the bromine shock.  A cap after each use.  At refill (fresh fill), put in a cap full in.  AFter first use, test the rest.  TA should be around 120, but if the PH is at 7.5, then 100 is in range.  Hardness is low also.  Don't use any stabilizer in a closed hot tub, so testing CYA wouldn't be needed.  Normally you would just test CYA in pools because of the stabilizer that you would put in for keeping the Chlorine in the water. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 08:33:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42