What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: American Whirlpool Opinions  (Read 8401 times)

wcmorris

American Whirlpool Opinions
« on: March 04, 2021, 11:42:50 am »
I'm a first time hot tub buyer and I've been researching and looking at spas for about 1 month now. I've looked at Hot Springs, Caldera, Bullfrog, and now American Whirlpool. Out of these, the Bullfrog and American Whirlpool have caught my eye.

The Bullfrog A7L caught my eye due mostly to it's construction and warranty. Bullfrogs seem to be high quality and the A7L has everything I think I want without any of the other stuff. My main issue with the Bullfrog is that my local dealer is using the allotment system so I could put an order in for the A7L with expected delivery of August. I'm just not entirely confident that I'd actually get it on the promised date. That said, I don't really have anything to base that on. Just a feeling since I know inventory is hard to come by still.

The other tub I really liked is the American Whirlpool 481. I liked this tub for similar reasons as the Bullfrog. The construction seems good with the ABS base, steel frame, and insulation that looks easy to remove for servicing. The seating was also comfortable and fit me well. The best part is that my dealer has one on the way fitting the colors and specs that I want. I could reserve it now and not have to wait many months like I would with the Bullfrog. My main hang up with the American Whirpool is that there is almost no information out there about it. I know that it's hard to come by any sort of reliable information on hot tubs but American Whirlpool has even less than most other brands. The second hang up I have is that it doesn't appear to have a dedicated circulation pump. It has two, two speed pumps so circulation is handled by the jet pump. From my research, it doesn't appear that this is inherently a bad thing but it does seem the general consensus is that a dedicated circ pump is the preference.

With all of that said, my main question is does anyone know about or have experience with American Whirlpool? Are they a reputable brand? Is their insulation method good in comparison to other manufactures like Bullfrog? Is a dedicated circ pump better? As I said, I'm new to the hot tub world and have never owned one before so any insight into either of these bands or specific models would be helpful.

Hot Tub Forum

American Whirlpool Opinions
« on: March 04, 2021, 11:42:50 am »

A.O.

Re: American Whirlpool Opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 01:39:04 pm »
I don't know anything about those 2 particular tubs, but I will say I'm not a fan of the 24/7/365 circulation pumps. I prefer the two speed jet pumps as I can control when and how long they run.

cranbiz

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 01:59:28 pm »
Maxx Spas owns American Whirlpool and Vita.

Out of the 2, I would probably lean to the Bullfrog. The A7L is a nice tub. I looked at one of those but it was too big for my spot. Seriously thought about the A6L but the lead time from my dealer was just too long for me and he didn't have one to test.

I didn't get but a quick look at an American Whirlpool. The dealer I was at for those was pushing the Vita's over the American Whirlpools. I really don't know why though.

When the dealer says they have one on the way, if it one that they ordered and hasn't been sold?  The allocation system works if the dealer marks that unit as sold.

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 02:44:18 pm »
Vita and American Whirlpool are both owned by Maax and my assumption is the build and construction is the same.  I personally think the American Whirlpool hot tubs look nice and have comfortable layouts.  This was my opinion when they were called Maax Spas and even prior as Coleman Spas.  Why Maax keeps changing the brand is confusing.  Living in an area that has winters, I have never been a fan of their insulation, I just don't believe it to be energy efficient and feedback from numerous customers would suggest the same.  Also not a fan of steel frames either.

I personally would go Bullfrog between the two.  I don't represent either brand but from all I hear Bullfrog makes a quality product and is at least a decent company to deal with.  Maax on the other hand was always one of my least favorite experiences when working with them for parts and service.

I wouldn't let the extra 4-6 month wait necessarily be a deciding factor.  You are going to own this hot tub for at least the next 10 years and want to get the decision correct the first time.

wcmorris

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 03:45:59 pm »
Vita and American Whirlpool are both owned by Maax and my assumption is the build and construction is the same.  I personally think the American Whirlpool hot tubs look nice and have comfortable layouts.  This was my opinion when they were called Maax Spas and even prior as Coleman Spas.  Why Maax keeps changing the brand is confusing.  Living in an area that has winters, I have never been a fan of their insulation, I just don't believe it to be energy efficient and feedback from numerous customers would suggest the same.  Also not a fan of steel frames either.

Thanks for the insight. It does seem odd that they are constantly changing name. Maybe buyouts or something like that but it doesn't give me a great feeling about purchasing their product. Why don't you like steel frame?

wcmorris

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 03:48:02 pm »
When the dealer says they have one on the way, if it one that they ordered and hasn't been sold?  The allocation system works if the dealer marks that unit as sold.

The one on the way is one they ordered but have not sold yet. Which is a little surprising to me since all of my other local dealers for Hot Springs, Caldera, and Bullfrog don't have any inventory that isn't already sold. All of them are into the summer months for delivery.

wcmorris

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 03:51:17 pm »
I don't know anything about those 2 particular tubs, but I will say I'm not a fan of the 24/7/365 circulation pumps. I prefer the two speed jet pumps as I can control when and how long they run.

Is the only difference just the noise level and run frequency? I've heard some say having 24/7 circulation helps keep the water clear and makes keeping it a temperature more efficient. Others have said jet pump is better because it can push a higher volume of water. I'll be honest that I probably wouldn't enjoy having to program the thing for when I want it to run. In that sense I think a dedicated circ pump would suite me.

cranbiz

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 04:09:00 pm »

The one on the way is one they ordered but have not sold yet. Which is a little surprising to me since all of my other local dealers for Hot Springs, Caldera, and Bullfrog don't have any inventory that isn't already sold. All of them are into the summer months for delivery.
My dealer had several tubs on order from months ago that were unsold. They are a large dealer in Raleigh, NC. The reason I'm getting mine in April is exactly that, ordered last August and was unsold. Because I couldn't buy a large tub, it just happened to be the exact tub I was looking for in the exact color I wanted. His larger tubs in that order were all sold. My friend who also bought a tub (he had more room so got a larger tub) bought one that was in a later order, unsold but won't be in until July. The order that my tub was in had sold all the larger tubs.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:11:22 pm by cranbiz »

Red MC

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 08:45:25 pm »
Maax was originally (and still is) a manufacturer of bathtubs, showers, and bath fixtures.  When Coleman was restructuring and looking to get out of the spa business in the late 1990s, Maax bought the business.  They continued to market the product under the Coleman brand name for 10 years.  When that deal ended, they used the Maax brand name for a little while, but since the Maax brand was known for bathware, they created the American Whirlpool name.

Coleman/Maax/American Whirlpool and Vita have sold plenty of hot tubs in my area and my impression is that they've always been a tier-two product: cheaper than the top tier brands, generally decent quality, decent dealer network and support.  But I haven't given them serious consideration because of the insulation.  I live in New Hampshire and want full foam for the energy efficiency.  I also want quiet operation; I wet tested Coleman and Vita before and they were loud.

And as long as I live where it gets cold, I wouldn't own a hot tub without a 24 hour circulation pump.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 08:54:17 pm »
Thanks for the insight. It does seem odd that they are constantly changing name. Maybe buyouts or something like that but it doesn't give me a great feeling about purchasing their product. Why don't you like steel frame?

Thin steel supports rust quickly and rivets and screws come loose and rattle.
Retired

castletonia

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 07:28:02 am »

Maax bought Vita out of bankruptcy probably 12-13 years ago.  I don't like steel frames mainly due to the possible rust issue.  It's not stainless steel, it's galvanized.  I've personally seen steel frames damaged due to rust and corrosion at a much quicker rate than a pressure treated wood frame wood rot.  Pretty sure Maax and Sunrise are the only ones still doing steel frames.

wcmorris

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 08:21:08 am »
Maax was originally (and still is) a manufacturer of bathtubs, showers, and bath fixtures.  When Coleman was restructuring and looking to get out of the spa business in the late 1990s, Maax bought the business.  They continued to market the product under the Coleman brand name for 10 years.  When that deal ended, they used the Maax brand name for a little while, but since the Maax brand was known for bathware, they created the American Whirlpool name.

Coleman/Maax/American Whirlpool and Vita have sold plenty of hot tubs in my area and my impression is that they've always been a tier-two product: cheaper than the top tier brands, generally decent quality, decent dealer network and support.  But I haven't given them serious consideration because of the insulation.  I live in New Hampshire and want full foam for the energy efficiency.  I also want quiet operation; I wet tested Coleman and Vita before and they were loud.

And as long as I live where it gets cold, I wouldn't own a hot tub without a 24 hour circulation pump.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'm in upstate NY so cold long winters. I know the Bullfrog has full insulation and a dedicated circ pump in addition to the composite frame so sounds like those would all be positives especially given my location.

A.O.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 10:04:52 am »

Is the only difference just the noise level and run frequency? I've heard some say having 24/7 circulation helps keep the water clear and makes keeping it a temperature more efficient. Others have said jet pump is better because it can push a higher volume of water. I'll be honest that I probably wouldn't enjoy having to program the thing for when I want it to run. In that sense I think a dedicated circ pump would suite me.

I have owed both types, neither one makes a difference in the clarity of the water, It takes maybe 30 seconds or so to "program" for filter time or duration, its right in your topside controls, couple button pushes and you are done. Noise isn't much different between the full time circulation pump and the low speed of the jet pump.
When going to change/clean the filter I don't have to mess with turning off the circulation pump, or with one tub I had, I had to cut power to the tub. All I have to do now is change it during the off cycle .. dont have to mess with anything.
Much prefer the non full time circulation pump.  But that's me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 10:13:25 am by A.O. »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 09:28:52 pm »

I have owed both types, neither one makes a difference in the clarity of the water, It takes maybe 30 seconds or so to "program" for filter time or duration, its right in your topside controls, couple button pushes and you are done. Noise isn't much different between the full time circulation pump and the low speed of the jet pump.
When going to change/clean the filter I don't have to mess with turning off the circulation pump, or with one tub I had, I had to cut power to the tub. All I have to do now is change it during the off cycle .. dont have to mess with anything.
Much prefer the non full time circulation pump.  But that's me.

There is definitely a difference in the noise. Now whether that additional noise from a 2-speed pump matters depends GREATLY on where it sits relative to the house, the neighbors, a window, is it on a deck... In many cases the additional noise matters, in many it doesn't!

Circ pumps have other advantages IMO and there are cases to be made of situations where a 2-speed pump is desirable as well. Myself, I'd really only want a spa with a circ pump but in the end, to each his own!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:36:40 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Red MC

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 09:26:16 am »
My wife and I often like to just soak quietly enjoying a morning coffee or evening drink while we watch the birds and critters around the yard.  Other times we watch TV or listen to music.  With no jets running and no noise.  But when it's cold we need the heater running to maintain the temperature while we're soaking.  That requires a circulation pump.  The one we had on our last hot tub was silent.

Without a circ pump, in colder weather the jet pump(s) will have to run frequently to hold the set temperature.  They won't hold it as steady, and they will use more energy doing it.  A circulation pump also reduces wear on the jet pumps and motors from stopping and starting many times per day.  And you get more filtration.

I do have to flip the breaker when cleaning filters, but that's on the wall next to the tub about 5-6' away.  Couldn't be easier.

Regarding Bullfrog, I definitely consider the full foam, composite frame, ABS bottom, and circ pump to be beneficial features in a location with cold, snowy winters.  We almost purchased an A8 last year, but decided we wanted something bigger.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 09:26:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42