What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How much space do I need?  (Read 2523 times)

moosethepug

How much space do I need?
« on: February 04, 2021, 08:17:30 am »
I'm wondering if anyone can offer some guidance for how much space I will need on my deck for a hot tub. I'm looking at a 91 x 91 inch hot tub. The space on my deck where my hot tub could go is approximately 8 feet wide by 10 feet long. I've attached a photo for reference. The tub would need to be flush up against the railing on the far left side of the deck, and somewhat flush against the railing where the stairs are. The cover would presumably need to fold over into the space that leads to the stairs.

Is this a problem? If there's any need for access to anything on the side panels of the tub, that could be problematic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I go and make a purchase!

Hot Tub Forum

How much space do I need?
« on: February 04, 2021, 08:17:30 am »

A.O.

Re: How much space do I need?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 08:38:45 am »
No picture

moosethepug

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:00:02 am »
Sorry, this link should work:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c4Rqgfu5YU8EnVow5

cranbiz

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:27:54 am »
So, you have 96" x 120"

I'm assuming that the 96" is from the side rail to the steps and the 120" is from the house to the back of the rail.

If you put it tight against the side rail, you have 5" from the steps to the side of the tub. as far as the cover lifter is concerned, something like a Cover Butler style requires 16" where a pneumatic lift assist lifter can require as little as 6". If you position the entry in the aisle to the steps, only the steps intrude as you could set the cover up to lift towards the house with no issues.

If you can modify the deck rails to be removable, then you have no access issues to the tubs side panels. The center post on the rails is most likely not going to be an issue.

Has your deck got enough support in that corner for the tub?

moosethepug

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 10:37:55 am »
So, you have 96" x 120"

I'm assuming that the 96" is from the side rail to the steps and the 120" is from the house to the back of the rail.

If you put it tight against the side rail, you have 5" from the steps to the side of the tub. as far as the cover lifter is concerned, something like a Cover Butler style requires 16" where a pneumatic lift assist lifter can require as little as 6". If you position the entry in the aisle to the steps, only the steps intrude as you could set the cover up to lift towards the house with no issues.

If you can modify the deck rails to be removable, then you have no access issues to the tubs side panels. The center post on the rails is most likely not going to be an issue.

Has your deck got enough support in that corner for the tub?

Thanks for the reply. That all sounds like the best option. In reviewing the deck space more closely, it's actually probably 9 feet rather than 10 from the steps to the back of the house. It's 10 feet from the steps to the door, but then there's a stick out space of about a foot in the corner of the deck. So that leaves me with 108 inches, which would be just enough for the cover when open (17 inches). It's a tight squeeze all around.

Regarding the side railings, I have no issue pulling them out if needed. The deck is old and will be replaced at some point.

Deck should be good, but will have someone reinforce to be sure.

A.O.

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 11:41:35 am »
If the deck is going to need replacing anyway, why don't you do that first? While the decking is off its WAY easier to shore up the frame underneath if needed, you wont have to crawl around underneath. And at that time you could possibly extend the deck a bit to fit the tub better.

cranbiz

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 12:12:04 pm »
I got to agree with A.O., Get your infrastructure done now. The last thing you want is to have to drain and move the tub because you have a problem with the deck.

I'm doing all my prep work now. Pouring the concrete tonight to level out the patio, did all the electric work and the upgrades to the house needed because once the tub is in, those will be difficult to do.

With any luck, my tub will be here late March or early April.

moosethepug

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 01:21:45 pm »
If the deck is going to need replacing anyway, why don't you do that first? While the decking is off its WAY easier to shore up the frame underneath if needed, you wont have to crawl around underneath. And at that time you could possibly extend the deck a bit to fit the tub better.

Definitely something to think about. If we do pull down the deck, we'd like to do something nicer than just a concrete pad. And that's going to take time/money and planning. But it does make sense.

cranbiz

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 04:27:03 pm »
Nothing wrong with rebuilding the deck. That way you don't have just a concrete pad.

You got to remember that the dry tub is probably around 950 lbs dry and that water weighs 8 Lbs per gallon. A 91" x 91" tub holds in the neighborhood of 450 gal. So the tub is roughly a half ton and the water weight is a bit over 2 tons. 4,550 lbs.

You will want to make sure the existing deck can handle that weight, add in 4 adults, you are over 5,000 lbs. So your deck needs to support about 96 lbs per square foot. Personally I would want it to be able to support close to 125 lbs per square foot for safety reasons.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:31:04 am by cranbiz »

A.O.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 09:29:54 am »

Definitely something to think about. If we do pull down the deck, we'd like to do something nicer than just a concrete pad. And that's going to take time/money and planning. But it does make sense.

I used to think this way as well, not wanting "just a concrete pad" Over the years my thinking has changed. Decks are nice and I have built a bunch of them and they have thier place BUT or around a hot tub/pool I have gotten to like a concrete slab! Its just not that much more expensive than a good wood deck, and lots of things you can do to make it look better.. stamping so it looks like tile or something, coloring the concrete, things like that. AND its basically maintenance free and seeing that you will be in bare feet most of the time around your hot tub... it does NOT give off splinters!

I cant figure out how to just post a picture so here is a video of my concrete pad surround

https://youtu.be/KAEVNd0r_hk

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 09:29:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42