What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question regarding Spa Water  (Read 2086 times)

A Rai

Question regarding Spa Water
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:43:01 am »
Hey guys,

A question for you folks that are far more experienced in the Spa/Pool world as opposed to me.

Can I use pool PH+, PH-, ALKA+ in my hot tub? I understand why you don't want to use Pool Chlorine in hot tubs because it is Trichlor vs Dichlor? But can I use the PH +, PH -, and ALKA + from Pools in my spa?

I am asking because my local dealer sells pools and hot tub supplies, and I noticed you get far more product for the money when you buy the pool chemical.

I did ask the rep that was on the floor, and he explained to me that they break down differently in hot water vs cold water?

Not that I am questioning the integrity of the rep as he sold the spa and was wonderful, but just wondering if that was to keep me sold on buying the 1kg of spa PH + for $14.99 vs the 3KG pool PH + for $14.99.

Hot Tub Forum

Question regarding Spa Water
« on: January 27, 2021, 11:43:01 am »

A Rai

Re: Question regarding Spa Water
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:49:23 am »
ALSO! I JUST NOTICED THIS!! :

I noticed that on my spa chlorine container, it actually does say TRICHLOR and not DICHLOR. Can someone please tell me if this is the wrong product to be using??

https://ibb.co/4gKrBVc

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 12:29:17 pm by A Rai »

A.O.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 12:15:47 pm »
So some one might tell you different , and they may be correct, but I have both a pool and a spa (and have had for years) and have used pool and or spa products in both without problems and my pool and spas are always crystal clear/clean..

castletonia

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 12:51:02 pm »
There is no issue using pH or alkalinity products that are marketed towards pools.  They are the same as the spa products.

The chlorine you pictured is a tablet which is a tri-chlor tablet.  Do not use that in the hot tub.  Tri-chlor is very acidic and dissolves too quickly in warm water.  Besides, if this is a new hot tub, the manufacturer can void your warranty for using it.  Switch to either dichlor or liquid chlorine.

d00nut

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 03:46:17 pm »
Don't use TriChlor.  It's bad in acrylic hot tubs.

Ph up and down should be fine, but I generally don't recommend using muriatic acid in hot tubs either... it's a lot easier to damage your hot tub (or yourself) with a simple slip of your hands.  Best stick with sodium bisulfate.

A.O.

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:14:44 am »
There is no issue using pH or alkalinity products that are marketed towards pools.  They are the same as the spa products.

The chlorine you pictured is a tablet which is a tri-chlor tablet.  Do not use that in the hot tub.  Tri-chlor is very acidic and dissolves too quickly in warm water.  Besides, if this is a new hot tub, the manufacturer can void your warranty for using it.  Switch to either dichlor or liquid chlorine.

So I have just switched to using liquid chlorine for the first time ever in about 30 years of owning hot tubs, and chasing CYA. Hoping I like it..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:14:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42