What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub (chem/check frequency) at our vacation home?  (Read 4567 times)

CV3720

Hot Tub (chem/check frequency) at our vacation home?
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:00:46 am »
We only get up there every couple of months (at best). What frequency of "wellness checks" should I strive for as far as the tub goes? WV mountains, so can get below 0.

O3, UV, and floating bromine dispenser.

Obviously, I don't want the water to turn into soup!

THANKS

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub (chem/check frequency) at our vacation home?
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:00:46 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Hot Tub (chem/check frequency) at our vacation home?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:20 am »
We only get up there every couple of months (at best). What frequency of "wellness checks" should I strive for as far as the tub goes? WV mountains, so can get below 0.

O3, UV, and floating bromine dispenser.

Obviously, I don't want the water to turn into soup!

THANKS

I think it should be checked every week. Does it have a circulation pump?
Retired

A.O.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 12:46:02 pm »
So do you have someone going over and checking it for you then? I've never had one that wasn't at my house.

CV3720

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 02:26:30 pm »
It's a brand new top (PDC) line "Malibu" tub. Purchased and installed by one of their local dealers - a rental management company in the area. They maintain about 200 tubs, mostly weekly rentals - that they service between guests - every week. They charge those folks $900/yr, but said ours would be $450 as it was getting VERY light infrequent use from us and thus could go two weeks. Of course, their first trip back ended up being logged by my cameras yesterday morning - one day shy of FIVE WEEKS. Glad I threw in some shock granules prior to my leaving - though that's still been just over 3 weeks.

Oh - when he came (camera on the tub too) he added a little water, rinsed out the filter, and put what appeared to be 2-3 bromine tabs in the floater. Wait, he did also conduct a scientific test... he put his head down towards the water two different times and SMELLED it.... no test strips or any such thing.

Not pleased, but it's 1,000 miles away - and the backup guy I got in touch with (who said he'd make it out there last week) never showed either. Mountain Time, it must be a lot like Island Time !!

CV3720

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 02:41:19 pm »

CV3720

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 11:55:13 am »
Just heard back from the folks who I purchased the tub through (and service it) yesterday. Seems they've dumped the PDC brand (new orders now at a 53 week wait) in favor of Aqua Living (8-12 weeks). From what I've read on here, they've lowered the bar as far as the quality of tub they're selling. Not a big surprise to me.

Sammi

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 10:30:53 pm »
Just heard back from the folks who I purchased the tub through (and service it) yesterday. Seems they've dumped the PDC brand (new orders now at a 53 week wait) in favor of Aqua Living (8-12 weeks). From what I've read on here, they've lowered the bar as far as the quality of tub they're selling. Not a big surprise to me.

The reviews of Spa Marvel have historically been discussed here if you do a search. That being said I'm a believer.

We have a family winter house in Arizona that isn't used for about 6 months in the summer. Water was changed out in April, a bottle of spa marvel was put in, and our caretaker would add bromine to the floater as needed. When I arrived in November the water perfect. Had to do a tad of alkalinity and ph adjustment but the water clear as heck and smell free.

Out of principal I drained the tub, cleaned the filters, and refilled the tub with new bottle of spa marvel. Since November the tub has been used twice daily anywhere from 1-4 people. We always bake sure there is 1 tablet in the bromine floater and adjust ph and alkalinity as needed. Most days nothing is needed.

On the flip side my home spa is a new salt water tub. I battle it non-stop. And its supposed to be worry free. I just did my firsr water change so in fairness I'm hoping it gets much easier.

Long story short I have no skin in the game with Spa Marvel other than witnessing the performance. Research it and you decide. From personal experience it is as worry free as it gets. Whether the tub is used daily or sits for a while with sporadic use as in your case it worked well for us.

I'm going to give my salt tub a year if use and if I'm still struggling I'm making the switch.

A.O.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 08:27:57 am »

The reviews of Spa Marvel have historically been discussed here if you do a search. That being said I'm a believer.

We have a family winter house in Arizona that isn't used for about 6 months in the summer. Water was changed out in April, a bottle of spa marvel was put in, and our caretaker would add bromine to the floater as needed. When I arrived in November the water perfect. Had to do a tad of alkalinity and ph adjustment but the water clear as heck and smell free.

Out of principal I drained the tub, cleaned the filters, and refilled the tub with new bottle of spa marvel. Since November the tub has been used twice daily anywhere from 1-4 people. We always bake sure there is 1 tablet in the bromine floater and adjust ph and alkalinity as needed. Most days nothing is needed.

On the flip side my home spa is a new salt water tub. I battle it non-stop. And its supposed to be worry free. I just did my firsr water change so in fairness I'm hoping it gets much easier.

Long story short I have no skin in the game with Spa Marvel other than witnessing the performance. Research it and you decide. From personal experience it is as worry free as it gets. Whether the tub is used daily or sits for a while with sporadic use as in your case it worked well for us.

I'm going to give my salt tub a year if use and if I'm still struggling I'm making the switch.

So, what exactly does this Spa Marvel do (besides take your money)? I've heard of it but curious what it does. Says you still need sanitizer and everything else so whats the point? I'm not being a wise guy here, I'm always looking for something better

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 07:24:33 pm »
So, what exactly does this Spa Marvel do (besides take your money)? I've heard of it but curious what it does. Says you still need sanitizer and everything else so whats the point? I'm not being a wise guy here, I'm always looking for something better

I agree, water can be easy without it. They are good at taking money though.
Retired

Sammi

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:41 pm »
It could very well be snake oil. I'm still a complete rookie when it comes to water care. Just sharing my experience treating water on two different types of spas one with a salt system and one without but with Spa Marvel.

A.O.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 09:11:29 am »
It could very well be snake oil. I'm still a complete rookie when it comes to water care. Just sharing my experience treating water on two different types of spas one with a salt system and one without but with Spa Marvel.

So the Spa Marvel doesn't sound like it impressed you much, is that the case?

Sammi

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 01:51:40 pm »

So the Spa Marvel doesn't sound like it impressed you much, is that the case?

Serious question - did you read my post on 01/27? You quoted it but did you actually read it?

A.O.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 11:15:52 am »
I did, but then your post on 01/28 you said it may just be snake oil... so which is it, or do you just believe in snake oil?

Sammi

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 12:33:43 pm »
I did, but then your post on 01/28 you said it may just be snake oil... so which is it, or do you just believe in snake oil?

It's ok. Reading comprehension can be difficult for some people......  ;D

A.O.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 07:23:01 pm »

It's ok. Reading comprehension can be difficult for some people......  ;D

But I'm sure you will get through it... eventually!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 07:23:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42