What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Persistent Foam Issue  (Read 2255 times)

Ahoya06

Persistent Foam Issue
« on: December 09, 2020, 12:09:20 pm »
We purchased a new spa (Viking Legacy 2) that was delivered in September. We're using low levels of chlorine with the Nature 2 cartridge. Our initial water sample from the spa store showed that our alkalinity and ph were both perfect, so no additional chemicals in the beginning. We've been shocking with MPS. A couple of weeks in, the alkalinity and ph and  started reading low so I balanced everything. Shortly after this, some foam started to appear, which gradually grew to be a LOT of foam. I reached out to the spa store, and they told me that it was likely detergent from our suits.

A couple of weeks ago, I cleaned our washer twice, then washed all of our swimsuits several times in the clean washer using no detergent. A week or so later, I did a full water change. As was the case in the store, the alkalinity and ph were perfect, so I chlorinated and we were good to go. For a week or so, there was no foam at all in the new water, and the only thing we introduced to the tub was 3 tbsp of MPS after each use.

10 days after the water change, I tested the tub and both the alkalinity and ph were low, so I first raised the alkalinity, then the ph, and then I added stain and scale remover (the chlorine levels were fine at this point so I left that alone).

From that point on, the foam came back. I'm not sure what's going on here, since we've eliminated detergent as a factor. I did get test strips to test the water hardness, and it came back at what I believe is an ideal level (at or a little below 120 ppm). The alkalinity has been stable since I added alkalinity increaser the first time, but the ph drops below 6.8 weekly. I'm using Spa Pure brand chemicals for all these adjustments.

Does anyone have idea what could be happening? If the ph is perfect in our hose water, so why is it shifting lower over time? And could whatever is causing that also be causing the foam? The foam is very annoying so it's something I'd like to try and mitigate if possible. My wife and I have also noticed that we may be reacting to the MPS, so I may start shocking with dichlor, if that matters.

Hot Tub Forum

Persistent Foam Issue
« on: December 09, 2020, 12:09:20 pm »

Sam

Re: Persistent Foam Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 01:58:30 pm »
Did you clean your filters with a filter cleaning solution?  I've found that you need to rinse out the cleaner a lot more than you would think or it causes foam.  Have you used any other cleaners around the hot tub?

Additionally, most people use way to much detergent in their laundry these days.  The new HE detergents are super concentrated and the lines for amount aren't easy to see.  Also, most modern soaps use artificial foaming agents like sodium laurel sulfate that don't rinse of your skin and hair very well.  I use Castille soap that doesn't have those ingredients and it rinses really well.  I never have foam.

Mr. Paul

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:51:54 pm »
What color is the foam? and is leaving a residue on the sides of the tub?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:51:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42