What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Struggling to Lower Alkalinity and pH  (Read 2124 times)

JuleeM13

Struggling to Lower Alkalinity and pH
« on: November 03, 2020, 08:26:08 am »
We had a new Bullfrog A8 delivered last week. We are struggling to get our pH and TA down. I am not sure what the exact numbers were initially (high on the test strips) but after a few days we had it tested at our dealer (pH 8.4, TA 246, Hardness 92).

We were able to get the Hardness to 207. We have added over 44 oz of pH down over the last week. We were able to get the TA down to around 200 although we added 8 oz last night and didn't seem to really do anything overnight. This morning we tested the water directly from the tap and it says pH 7.4 and TA 196. What would cause the readings to be so much higher out of the tub vs the tap? We used an old hose and also used a pre-filter attached to the hose. Could either of those be the culprit?

The water now looks cloudy despite it being clear all week. We are thinking of draining and refilling tonight but concerned of the huge difference between the tap and the tub. Has anyone seen this? Does draining seem like the best option?

Also btw, we called Bullfrog regarding using muriatic acid and they said we shouldn't. Also we are using a LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7 digital reader instead of test strips.

Hot Tub Forum

Struggling to Lower Alkalinity and pH
« on: November 03, 2020, 08:26:08 am »

kennethogden

Re: Struggling to Lower Alkalinity and pH
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 10:38:30 am »
First balance TA, then PH, then hardness.

I also use ColorQ and have had problems with TA reagent going bad.  I suggest validating the reading with another source.  Make sure your test tub is dry and droplet's are good size.

I suggest to refill and don't add more chemicals than needed. 

Lastly it's a new tub, so use Ahh-some to help clean some of the factory junk out.   

JoesTub

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 03:33:49 pm »
First balance TA, then PH, then hardness.

I also use ColorQ and have had problems with TA reagent going bad.  I suggest validating the reading with another source.  Make sure your test tub is dry and droplet's are good size.

I suggest to refill and don't add more chemicals than needed. 

Lastly it's a new tub, so use Ahh-some to help clean some of the factory junk out.

Agree with balancing the TA, then PH.  Our TA was higher than that to start - don't remember the exact number.  Our dealer recommended muraic acid.  Using goggles, appropriate gloves, and a glass measuring cup, i believe i added 1/4 cup at a time, waiting 4 hours , measuring levels, then adding again, if needed.  Took 2 cups total to get it w/in range, but it did work.  I know many do not recommend, but i'm the only one who manages the chems in the hot tub, and I'm comfortable with it.  If you go down this path, do not mix water into the acid.  Apparently that can cause a violent reaction.  I'm not a chemist, so don't understand the reasons why; but if you pour the acid into water - no problem; pouring water into the acid = no good.

Good luck

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 03:33:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42