What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Post-delivery Issues  (Read 7960 times)

jenn

Marquis Post-delivery Issues
« on: September 14, 2004, 10:14:45 pm »
Our Marquis 530 ("Everyday tub") was delivered today.  My husband mentioned some scratches he noticed, so I went to take a look.  They were pretty major scratches in my opinion.  When we purchased the tub, we were told that it was brand new, had been on display on the floor of another store, but not filled.  Maybe that was a mistake?  We decided we would talk with the salesperson about it since the delivery guys didn't have any advice regarding the scratches.

I filled the tub, anxiously awaiting this evening when we could have our first soak.  After it was filled, we noticed a puddle of water forming underneath.  We thought it just might be from some sloshing (we hadn't been in the tub yet because our electician flaked but that's another issue).  We wiped it up, and a few moments later the puddle formed again.  We called the dealer and a service tech is coming on Thursday.

The service manager said it could be a minor problem causing the leak.  We checked the drain and all seemed to be solid there, so what else could it be?

My questions are:

1.  Would my expectation to not have visible scratches on the tub be reasonable?  We didn't receive any sort of discount for it being a model that was on the floor.

2.  Is there a method to remove scratches?

3.  The leak...are there situations where a leak would be considered minor?  

4.  I'm starting to feel like we should request a full replacement.  The tub hasn't been used by us yet, and I think it should be perfect when we receive it....is this reasonable?

Thanks for any advice you might have!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis Post-delivery Issues
« on: September 14, 2004, 10:14:45 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Marquis Post-delivery Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 10:38:47 pm »
I would give the dealer a chance to fix the problem...what color is it...The scathes are something that maybe should have been noted at time of sale......I would suggest that you give the your dealer an opportunity to resolve your problem.....

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 10:43:03 pm »
Where are the scratches? The leak is probably the bleed line. If the scratches are in the DuraWood that is easily replaceable. I don't know if I would ask for a new tub yet but I would ask for concessions and I don't think you should have to wait until Thursday to get up and running!

P/M me with a private message as to who your dealer is and where you live and I will intervene where I can.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 11:06:08 pm »
I don't care how busy they are, they should be making your service call a P R I O R I T Y!

Issues on delivery take first in line IMO! People take hours, days and sometimes weeks and months to purchase a spa with the understanding that they have just made a great purchase with the right dealer. All of that goes out the window if you're left hanging with immediate problems. If they're not going to prove to you why you chose them, demand it! Wed AM and no later. Nobody is THAT busy that they can't look after you right away. I would have expected someone there that afternoon myself... ???

Steve
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 11:08:00 pm by Steve »

jenn

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 12:54:13 am »
I should have been clearer on my flaky electrician...he came to do the hook-up but turned out he couldn't do the work and needed to find an actual electrician (the orginal one is an acquaintance - our fault).  So when I spoke to the service manager he felt they would be able to better diagnose the leak problem if the could fully test the tub.....thus the wait until Thursday for the service call!  

To Mendocino:  not sure of the correct name of the color but its bronze?  Also, we never saw the actual tub before purchase so we didn't know about the scratches.  Probably our fault, but it was in a store quite some distance from us.  I would certainly not be worried about tiny scratches, but these seemed more than that.

To Stuart:  thanks for the offer to intervene.  I'll get in touch with you after we find out what's going on on Thursday (if necessary!).

To Steve:  I think they would have come out today if the power was hooked up, for sure tomorrow....

Thanks all for your input.  I'll let you know what happens!

Jenn

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 05:31:36 am »
I agree with Steve.  When I use to work on office equipment, shortly after a machine was delivered we had a service tech out there to make sure it was 100% up and running before handing it over to the customer.

IMO they should have been out that day. Give them a chance though

r100rs

jenn

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 08:35:34 pm »
I just wanted to update the situation...especially since I found this forum so valuable, I would want anyone considering a Marquis to read the resolution to the problems we encountered.

The service tech came out and replaced the drain valve thinking that would solve the problem.  Once we got our electrical upgrade done and we refilled the tub the leak was still there  :(.  Fast-forward to yesterday, and the service tech came out again.  He wasn't able to find the source of the leak and said the service manager would be calling me.  

Resolution:   We're getting a brand new tub!  I didn't ask for one....(although I would have) it was offered.  In the meantime, we're able to use the existing tub until the replacement arrives.

I think anyone considering a Marquis tub should know that the service I've experienced has been top knotch!  The problems were addressed in a very professional manner and in my opinion, quickly resolved.  Granted, this was all at the dealer level, but I believe the dealer can only be that strong if the manufacturer backs them up.

We love the tub!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 09:00:35 pm »
The dealer is way more important in this regard than the factory.  It's the dealer who dispatches service techs, and otherwise supports the customers.
The factory is there more to support the dealers, in my opinion.
Glad yours is treating you right.  
Brewman
Brewman

empolgation

• you pay what you get it for
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 10:17:40 pm »
Excellent news jenn!

And I second your opinion about Marquis as a manufacturer. After the dealer I originally purchased my Marquis tub from turned into Mr Hyde and screwed me - Marquis was there to do what they could to assist in resolution!

Happy soaking!
e

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 03:33:23 pm »
Hi Jenn:

Glad to hear your problem worked out, sounds like the dealer did the RIGHT thing.

To everyone else reading this thread or prospective buyers, I've been participating in this forum for more than a month now and reading many of the posts associated with "problems" concerning new tubs.

Generally, I don't add to these discussions because the guys that sell tubs can address this stuff better.  I'm also not a sales person, tech or "dealer" and I don’t consider myself an “expert” (WELL, maybe an “expert” USER...)

BUT, I gotta tell ya, I've owned an Artesian Spa for almost 5 years and the only thing I've ever had to do was add water and chemicals.  I had one minor issue with a valve controlling flow through the ozenator, but it was immediately fixed by the dealer.  That’s it, NOTHING else.

I’ve read a number of posts about "problems" after initial install.  Many of the dealers and spa guys here offer good advice and genuinely seem interested in helping.  A few quibble about brands, but I can live with that.  BUT, that said, it seems that most people on this forum talk about or purchase 7 brands of tubs and, with the exception of just a few of these brands, many new buyers have "problems."

Respectfully guys, this DON'T cut it!  The product someone just paid $8,000 to $10,000 for won't get any better than the day it rolled off the line. New buyers SHOULDN’T have to deal with “problems.”  Why settle for this?

I can only speak about my personal experience with Artesian Spas and my local dealer, so I don't know what others have encountered.  I do know that I would NEVER have put up with the problems that some posters have mentioned.  Based on what I've read, it looks like I made good choice in purchasing a tub (and NO, I'm not trying to congratulate myself publicly).

My point is that OTHER spa companies (besides the ones that are always mentioned here) make GOOD products.  If the "Fords" and 'Chevys" are breaking down or not even working correctly when started the first time, isn't it time to consider something else?

Honda and Toyota taught this lesson to Detroit a few years back.  Maybe some other companies should have been taking notes?

Food for thought...

Drewski

:-/
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 04:02:29 pm »
Drewski,

You make an interesting point.....but you sorta answer it yourself.....If you are right and there are say 7 tubs mainly discussed here...well than if there ever is an issue you will here about them.....however with hundreds if not thousands of those spas sold....you can see from the posts here...that very rarely is there a problem.....

ebirrane

• HS Grandee Owner; Hot Tub Geek
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 04:13:13 pm »
Most people rate reliability based on % of product out there that has some kind of problem, not on raw numbers.  But that's because people who do that are good at math.  ;)

My Hot Springs has worked flawlessly since delivery, albeit only several months now.  My friends Sundance Cameo has worked flawlessly for 2 years, the only damage done was when the installers scraped the bottom plastic part.

The problem is Hot Springs, Sundance, and others sell WAY WAY WAY more hot tubs than Artesian so simple numbers,especially just the few dozen, tops, you read about on these sites, is not enough information to draw ANY kind of meaningful conclusion.  And most people know that.

Artesian's failure rate could be 200 times worse than the Marquis failure rate.  But if you have 2 people, one who owns Artesian and one who owns Marquis, and neither had ever had a problem, you couldn't draw any conclusion from that. Worse, if the Artesian customer never had a problem and the Marquis customer did, you could infer the opposite regarding quality!  

Which would be a prime example of sacrificing scientific rigor in favor of confirmational bias.

It sounds like Jenn's tub was knocked around a bit, perhaps some abuse happened which explains the leak.

Ed

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 06:24:44 pm »
I completely agree that conclusions based on only a few anecdotes are meaningless.  BUT consider something for a minute.

It's undoubtedly true that top manufacturers sell thousands of tubs.  But how many of those people come to this forum?  I would argue that only a small portion actually participate (look at the user stats).  However, it seems that more than just a few of these individuals DO have problems.  Kinda makes you wonder about how many problems the people who are NOT participating have?  Hmmm, the term "representative sample" comes to mind....

Regardless of how we debate this, the fact remains that repetitive, similar and annoying problems keep popping up in this forum -- usually immediately after delivery -- and often with the same models.  Is this because such tubs have high sales rates and failures are actually less than 1%?  Maybe.  But, then again, maybe not.

Does Artesian or any other “non-discount” brand experience similar problems?  Probably, BUT, I haven't read about them here -- ESPECIALLY leaks in new tubs just after setting them up.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying Artesian or any other brand is better.  In fact, unless Artesian comes up with a 10x8 before I buy again, I'll probably switch brands.  What I AM saying is that repetitive annoying "problems" that are easily controlled for and fixed are unacceptable.

Such experiences WILL impact my future purchasing decisions.

In my opinion, quality control needs to be IMPROVED.

Thanks for the responses – I enjoy lively discussion!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 07:31:01 pm »
I liked your response Ed.  It makes sense.

I have had my Marquis for 7 years now and haven't had one service call.  As a dealer, I have hundreds of customers and the percentages are very high that have no problems for many years.  There are a few that do need service and we are quick to respond to their needs.  How can a spa leak or have other problems right out of the gate?  Lots of possibilities.  People make the spas and people aren't perfect.  Loaded on a truck with a forklift, driven over rough interstates and off loaded with a forklift.  Stored and then loaded on a trailer and driven to the customers home.  I wish that problems didn't exist, it would save me payroll dollars and make my life easier.  The challenge is to know that service  will eventually be needed and to be prepared with qualifid service techs and employees that care about customers.  Also, develop business relationships with spa manufaturers that are committed to do their best in product quality and customer service.

jenn

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 11:51:54 pm »
Wow, this topic took on a life of its own!

I really and truly thought it was important to post the resolution to the problem we had because so many times you hear only about the problems and not the solutions!  This is especially important for the folks that are shopping around and using this forum.   As such, I think its not fair to hear only the bad things about a particular brand....

I will say that the people I spoke with at this particular Marquis dealer seemed truly shocked that we had a leak, and they took steps to resolve it quickly.  In my mind, this obviously is due in part to the quality manufacturing that Marquis does.  I agree with the person that stated spas are built by people and there is the potential for error.  I think that what happened with our tub was the exception to the high quailty of Marquis.  Thus, the brand new replacement tub we are receiving.

Again, to anyone researching purchases, I would highly recommend a Marquis (not that I have experience with other brands though... :))

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 11:51:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42