What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying 1st hot tub soon...my criteria is:  (Read 3091 times)

corepuncher

Buying 1st hot tub soon...my criteria is:
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:52:10 pm »
I am looking for:

1) 5-6 person tub
2) Larger is better, and prefer a lounger
3) Don't care about speakers, fancier fountains, etc.
4) I basically want a deep tissue massage, when needed. High water pressure and various back patterns to hit neck and back.
5) 8-9K MAX

As long as it's an established, name brand, I don't care what it is. We have lots of dealers in OKC area. I went to two places (Bullfrog and Caldera) so far...X8L bullfrog was quoted as 8995, ouch, and low-end Calderas I was looking at were 7200. (I didn't try talking down at this point).

I would especially like to hear opinions on water pressure. In your experience, do certain brands, or models have more power?

Researching models that fit my criteria (except don't know the prices yet)...

Bullfrog X8L
Caldera Palatino
Hotspring Relay
Jacuzzi J-235
Artesian Antigue Elite or Dove Canyon
Master Balance 8
Marquis Hollywood Elite

Thank you!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 12:19:04 am by corepuncher »

Hot Tub Forum

Buying 1st hot tub soon...my criteria is:
« on: April 24, 2020, 10:52:10 pm »

swilly1000

Re: Buying 1st hot tub soon...my criteria is:
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 10:45:44 am »
Your wants exceed your budget. 

Something's going to have to give.

corepuncher

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 01:54:55 pm »
Your wants exceed your budget. 

Something's going to have to give.

I obtained 2 quotes so far within the listed budget:

J-235 the guy said starts at 6700.
The bullfrog X8L, like I said, was 8995

Still have to get quotes for the rest.

Are you saying that none of these listed below will give me the water pressure I desire?

Bullfrog X8L
Caldera Palatino
Hotspring Relay
Jacuzzi J-235
Master Balance 8
Marquis Hollywood Elite

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 02:36:36 pm »

Are you saying that none of these listed below will give me the water pressure I desire?

Bullfrog X8L
Caldera Palatino
Hotspring Relay
Jacuzzi J-235
Master Balance 8
Marquis Hollywood Elite

No one here can tell you the tubs listed will have or won't have the jet pressure YOU desire.
Retired

corepuncher

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 03:25:28 pm »
No one here can tell you the tubs listed will have or won't have the jet pressure YOU desire.

lol.  Is this really that difficult? 

What I "desire" is found in my original post. I said I"m looking for higher-end water pressure.

That means, I am asking experienced folks if they noticed any particular brands or models that seemed to really hit hard compared to others.

For example, a certain person has owned several brands, and notices "Hey, this one really has major jet power on my back compared to XYZ"

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:40:45 pm by corepuncher »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 07:44:02 pm »
Everybody likes something different. Out of those options I would say the best jet action would be Marquis or Artesian. Never been in a bullfrog x series. Hot Spring and Caldera move up a line to get better jet action. Master have never heard of that series

ratchett

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 06:27:27 am »

lol.  Is this really that difficult? 

What I "desire" is found in my original post. I said I"m looking for higher-end water pressure.

That means, I am asking experienced folks if they noticed any particular brands or models that seemed to really hit hard compared to others.

For example, a certain person has owned several brands, and notices "Hey, this one really has major jet power on my back compared to XYZ"

The problem here is how do you quantify jet pressure?  There is no industry standard measuring CFM of flow through every nozzle nor is there a library of measured data to quantify "yep - [XYZ] tub has [T] jets and produces [P] CFM of pressure" - it just doesn't work like that.

Yes, its true the manufacture will state the horsepower of a motor (and how many if there are multiple).   However, not every dealer uses the same standards when measuring horsepower.  Some cheaper brands may call their motor a 4hp when it's actually an overrated hunk of junk.  I've seen shitty 110AC manufacturers try to claim they're stuffing a 3.5hp motor into that tub which is impossible on 110ac circuit lol.

Additionally, Hottub jets use the venturi principal to suck air into the jet increasing pressure to the nozzle so a jet's pressure isn't determined solely by the pump's horsepower. The size, and design of the jet will all determine how much pressure it produces, as well as the number of jets installed in the tub.

Some hot tub brands shove dozens of mini jets into the tub to give someone the impression it has a lot of jets when in reality these are tiny itchy annoying jets to lots of people.  Some people like them, other's don't.   Not all jets act the same either.  Hotspring's motomassager jets move up and down when running, I haven't come across any other jet on the market capable of producing that kind of massage effect.

So yes, it is really difficult to tell you which tub will have the best water pressure for your needs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:31:11 am by ratchett »

castletonia

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 09:08:34 am »
Jet pressure is subjective.  While most people will agree when jet power is weak, strong jet pressure can be subjective.  I've sat in hot tubs with my wife and she would state that she wanted stronger jets and yet I though the jet power was strong, to each their own.  I own a Hot Spring SX.  Its a 110v hot tub.  I think its damn impressive for being 110v and I am happy with it.  If I compare it to the Hot Spring Grandee or Caldera Cantabria that are filled in my showroom right now, it would be considered weak.  You really need to wet test the models you are interested in.  Strong jets don't necessarily mean therapeutic jets.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 09:08:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42