What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Allergic to inline Mineral cartridge  (Read 4112 times)

ibtilton

Allergic to inline Mineral cartridge
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:02:40 pm »
I hope I have asked in the correct forum....Looking for information on an alternate to, or if I can operate the hot tub without the mineral cartridge.  There is something in the mineral cartridge that causes me to break out in a bumpy itchy rash on the back of my legs and inside of my arms that can linger for days.  I have tried switching from bromine to chlorine with same results.  I did have success with Leisure Time Free system, but the foam scum and vapors were unacceptable.  Thank you in advance for any information
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:24:04 pm by ibtilton »

Hot Tub Forum

Allergic to inline Mineral cartridge
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:02:40 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Allergic to inline Mineral cartridge
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 01:07:44 pm »
I hope I have asked in the correct forum....Looking for information on an alternate to, or if I can operate the hot tub without the mineral cartridge.  There is something in the mineral cartridge that causes me to break out in a bumpy itchy rash on the back of my legs and inside of my arms that can linger for days.  I have tried switching from bromine to chlorine with same results.  I did have success with Leisure Time Free system, but the foam scum and vapors were unacceptable.  Thank you in advance for any information

Have you gone to a doctor to determine what the rash is? I don't think there are any doctors here.
Retired

ibtilton

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 01:20:47 pm »
Beyond being told its a rash and to avoid using the hot tub to keep from getting the rash, no.  The rash only appears after I used the hot tub, even if I shower immediately after.  Note to add, I was able to use the spa until after a medical emergency that resulted in my spleen being removed.  Since then I have had a reaction and through trial and error and a lot of spa dumping/cleaning/refilling narrowed it down to the mineral cartridge.

Sam

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 02:42:23 pm »
I would be surprised if the mineral cartridge is the culprit.  That's the last thing I would suspect.  My guess is that the water is contaminated with pseudomonas bacteria.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »
Beyond being told its a rash and to avoid using the hot tub to keep from getting the rash, no.  The rash only appears after I used the hot tub, even if I shower immediately after.  Note to add, I was able to use the spa until after a medical emergency that resulted in my spleen being removed.  Since then I have had a reaction and through trial and error and a lot of spa dumping/cleaning/refilling narrowed it down to the mineral cartridge.

If you think it's the mineral cartridge leave it out.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:33 pm »
I would be surprised if the mineral cartridge is the culprit.  That's the last thing I would suspect.  My guess is that the water is contaminated with pseudomonas bacteria.

Agreed.  Though I’m not a Doctor either. Just don’t see that happening. Would think you are allergic to both chlorine and bromine (which is mostly chlorine anyway) or you have some bacteria living in the plumbing lines

ibtilton

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 07:30:38 pm »
(Thank you for your replies, I don't know how to reply to each individually, so I'll just do a general comment to cover the questions)                               
Pseudomonas bacteria.. how would I test for that?  I doubt this for the reasons below, but I'm sure willing to check it out!  Please note I can use a hotels spa, which is heavily chlorinated and have no issues. I also can fill a soaking tub in each home with hot or hotter water than what the spa temperature is and soak with no issue. This is happening in two homes in two different states  with a new and a fairly new tub.  Soo I'm still thinking that it is the mineral cartridge.                                                                                                                                                             
My question still remains that if I removed the mineral cartridge what would be the steps to ensure the water remains clean using just a chlorine cartridge?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 08:06:56 am »
(Thank you for your replies, I don't know how to reply to each individually, so I'll just do a general comment to cover the questions)                               
Pseudomonas bacteria.. how would I test for that?  I doubt this for the reasons below, but I'm sure willing to check it out!  Please note I can use a hotels spa, which is heavily chlorinated and have no issues. I also can fill a soaking tub in each home with hot or hotter water than what the spa temperature is and soak with no issue. This is happening in two homes in two different states  with a new and a fairly new tub.  Soo I'm still thinking that it is the mineral cartridge.                                                                                                                                                             
My question still remains that if I removed the mineral cartridge what would be the steps to ensure the water remains clean using just a chlorine cartridge?

Removing the mineral cartridge means slightly more chlorine to disinfect your water after use. Mineral cartridges allow for slightly less chlorine. Mostly mineral ions help when your water is clean. You likely won't even notice a difference.
Retired

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 10:22:47 am »

Removing the mineral cartridge means slightly more chlorine to disinfect your water after use. Mineral cartridges allow for slightly less chlorine. Mostly mineral ions help when your water is clean. You likely won't even notice a difference.

Welcome to the forum. I tried one of those mineral cartridges years ago, but haven't used one in over 10 years.  Its safe to try and see if this helps you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ibtilton

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 01:55:16 pm »
Tman122 and wmccall,  Thank You!!   I will be draining and refilling in the next coming weeks since it finally is staying mostly above freezing here and want to start with a fresh tub.   I will report back then!  Again, many thanks!

Mikedee

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 11:35:45 am »
I have a question for the initial writer as I have a tub that I used Mineral Cartridge, Chlorine and Non Chlorine Shock combination... I started to suffer from the same type of rash and bumps..Anyhow I thought it was the mineral stick but after several drains and experimenting it ended up being the non chlorine shock that was casing my rash...I drained tub and now just use strictly mineral stick & chlorine and have never had a rash again..It's been well over a year ..If you do use non-chlorine shock that could very well be the culprit as I doubt very much a mineral stick would cause that reaction..

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 08:07:14 am »
I have a question for the initial writer as I have a tub that I used Mineral Cartridge, Chlorine and Non Chlorine Shock combination... I started to suffer from the same type of rash and bumps..Anyhow I thought it was the mineral stick but after several drains and experimenting it ended up being the non chlorine shock that was casing my rash...I drained tub and now just use strictly mineral stick & chlorine and have never had a rash again..It's been well over a year ..If you do use non-chlorine shock that could very well be the culprit as I doubt very much a mineral stick would cause that reaction..

I to was having a rash issue several years ago. I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with a slight case of excema cause by the sever temperature changes to my skin because of getting into and out of the tub. I to was using chlorine to sanitize and a mineral stick to help and MPS to shock. Once I stopped using MPS my rash mostly went away except for a few times during a warm soak on a cold Minnesota night.
Retired

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 10:16:34 am »
Hot tub folliculitis,(Google it) or "hot tub rash," is a bacterial skin infection that emerges anywhere from a few hours to a few days after using an improperly maintained hot tub or swimming pool. The bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa) infects hair follicles, particularly where swimwear meets the skin.

If you are getting a rash you need to disinfect and thoroughly clean your spa and change how you control the organic contaminates and how you maintain your spa.

I suggest running a plumbing line cleaner (I recommend Ahh-Some) to disinfect the plumbing.

I would use spa shock regularly to remove the organic contaminates from the spa. Organic contaminates are all the stuff attached to your body when you enter the spa. Underarm deodorant shampoo body oils. This particulate will just suspend in the spa. So if you open the cover and the spa is cloudy that is the organic material suspending in the spa. If it has a punky odour that is the organic material dying and off gassing. If the spa was cloudy I would add shock and run the pumps until the spa clears then clean the filters. I would also add shock weekly several hours before cleaning my filters to get all the material to the filters. If you are using paper pleated filters clean you filters OFTEN. WEEKLY. The cleaner you keep your filters the cleaner everything else stays. You will use less chems because the organic material is not eating up all your sanitizer.

Before draining add spa shock and run the spa for a few hours...then remove filters. Soak filters in filter wash for 24 hours and thoroughly rinse them out (Again I recommend Ahh-Some Filter wash)  Then add line cleaner and run for the recommended amount of time. Drain the spa and thoroughly clean all surfaces. Remove as much water as possible. Fill spa half full and drain again and clean again. Once all this is complete you should be good to go.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 10:18:18 am by CanadianSpaTech »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 08:28:22 am »
Hot tub folliculitis,(Google it) or "hot tub rash," is a bacterial skin infection that emerges anywhere from a few hours to a few days after using an improperly maintained hot tub or swimming pool. The bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa) infects hair follicles, particularly where swimwear meets the skin.

If you are getting a rash you need to disinfect and thoroughly clean your spa and change how you control the organic contaminates and how you maintain your spa.

I suggest running a plumbing line cleaner (I recommend Ahh-Some) to disinfect the plumbing.

I would use spa shock regularly to remove the organic contaminates from the spa. Organic contaminates are all the stuff attached to your body when you enter the spa. Underarm deodorant shampoo body oils. This particulate will just suspend in the spa. So if you open the cover and the spa is cloudy that is the organic material suspending in the spa. If it has a punky odour that is the organic material dying and off gassing. If the spa was cloudy I would add shock and run the pumps until the spa clears then clean the filters. I would also add shock weekly several hours before cleaning my filters to get all the material to the filters. If you are using paper pleated filters clean you filters OFTEN. WEEKLY. The cleaner you keep your filters the cleaner everything else stays. You will use less chems because the organic material is not eating up all your sanitizer.

Before draining add spa shock and run the spa for a few hours...then remove filters. Soak filters in filter wash for 24 hours and thoroughly rinse them out (Again I recommend Ahh-Some Filter wash)  Then add line cleaner and run for the recommended amount of time. Drain the spa and thoroughly clean all surfaces. Remove as much water as possible. Fill spa half full and drain again and clean again. Once all this is complete you should be good to go. 

This poster likely does not have foliculitus, Sounds to me like they are maintaining their water properly.
Retired

CanadianSpaTech

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 10:06:25 am »
Bacteria test kits are available. JMO

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 10:06:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42