What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Should Circ pump disable during jet pump operation?  (Read 2525 times)

Jmeiers79

Should Circ pump disable during jet pump operation?
« on: February 20, 2020, 06:34:00 pm »
Should my 24hr Circ pump be disabled during jet pump (high speed, at least) operation? Worried about cavitation or overheating due to being overwhelmed by the jet pump, which is only inches away on both the supply and return lines. Check valves on both pump outlets, but I imagine the Circ pump isn’t moving any water when jet pump is on . I know most control panels will disable it automatically but I have it on a separate circuit due to potential freezing issues - there is a good amount of outdoor plumbing between the tub and the heater / pumps and I want to make sure it circulates 24/7 regardless of heater / control pack operation / issues.

Hot Tub Forum

Should Circ pump disable during jet pump operation?
« on: February 20, 2020, 06:34:00 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Should Circ pump disable during jet pump operation?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:19:36 am »
What brand hot tub?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 08:15:10 am »
Should my 24hr Circ pump be disabled during jet pump (high speed, at least) operation? Worried about cavitation or overheating due to being overwhelmed by the jet pump, which is only inches away on both the supply and return lines. Check valves on both pump outlets, but I imagine the Circ pump isn’t moving any water when jet pump is on . I know most control panels will disable it automatically but I have it on a separate circuit due to potential freezing issues - there is a good amount of outdoor plumbing between the tub and the heater / pumps and I want to make sure it circulates 24/7 regardless of heater / control pack operation / issues.

Protecting the outdoor plumbing should be paramount. Should the circ pump disable while the tub/jet pump is in use, yes, but it doesn't have to. I'm assuming gas heater/sand filter? How far from the tub is the equipment?
Retired

Jmeiers79

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 10:20:45 am »
Electric heater (Balboa VS510SZ), cartridge filter, about 20 ft away. Pipe is 2” PVC with 3/4” thick flexible elastomeric insulation. Homemade Cedar type tub.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:02:35 am »
Electric heater (Balboa VS510SZ), cartridge filter, about 20 ft away. Pipe is 2” PVC with 3/4” thick flexible elastomeric insulation. Homemade Cedar type tub.

Do you keep it heated all the time? As the jet pump takes over does it cause problems with the circ pump? Maybe sucks water from it so it cavitates? I think I would switch the circ pump to allow shut down during jet pump function.

I'm surprised you have an electric heater, the efficiency is terrible at 20'away. The insulation will help. Keeping it running 24/7 will allow the heater to keep up.

What part of the country are you in?
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:02:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42