What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying used?  (Read 5187 times)

SDOutdoorsman

Buying used?
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:18:55 pm »
Is buying used even a consideration for a first tub? I understand the importance of having the support of a dealer when buying new, but saving money is also appealing. What’s the life span of a hot tub? How much would the price cut have to be to entertain the idea? I was looking at an artesian from a dealer going out of business but it sold before We could make a decision, the only other local dealer sells hot springs. Found a bull frog a7l for sale used, its 4 years old and seems to have all the bells and whistles, as of now they are asking $6000. The tub at the hot springs dealer that i looked at the most was a pulse, he said it’s actually used but for only 3 months and the owners want to upgrade to the grande, he said he can get me full warranty on it like it was new, prices at $8250.

Hot Tub Forum

Buying used?
« on: October 21, 2019, 09:18:55 pm »

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
Re: Buying used?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:35:14 pm »
What’s the pulse normally go for new?  If it’s got a warranty as if new that might be a good deal. 4 year old Bullfrog A7 I would think 6k is pretty high unless it has a new cover, has been gone over good and has some sort of warranty.

SDOutdoorsman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 10:39:11 pm »
This dealers price on the pulse is $9200 the warranty on bullfrog is non transferable so I wouldn’t have that, could probably get them lower on the price as it’s already come down quite a bit and has been listed for a while.

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 10:53:43 pm »
I would think closer to 4K on the Bullfrog. Is it from a dealer or private party?

SDOutdoorsman

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 11:00:13 pm »
Private party is 4 years old for a hot tub or would it have a lot of life left?

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 11:41:13 pm »
Depends on how it was maintained. If it was well taken care of then it should,have plenty of life left. Problem is you don’t know. At minimum you will need a cover in the next year or so. So figure $500-$600. Need someone to move it. So even at 4K it’s really going to be 5k. Have you seen it running?  Does it seem like it’s been take. Care of fairly well?  I’ve seen some 10 year old hot tubs that look brand new and some 1 year old hot tubs that look like they are 10 years old.

d00nut

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 12:06:25 am »
Depends on how it was maintained. If it was well taken care of then it should,have plenty of life left. Problem is you don’t know. At minimum you will need a cover in the next year or so. So figure $500-$600. Need someone to move it. So even at 4K it’s really going to be 5k. Have you seen it running?  Does it seem like it’s been take. Care of fairly well?  I’ve seen some 10 year old hot tubs that look brand new and some 1 year old hot tubs that look like they are 10 years old.
ditto

I just ran into a guy that I sold a Bullfrog to back when I was selling them... he has had it for 2.5 years, destroyed it with trichlor tablets.  Looks like it has been in the field... beaten up for 10+.  On the flip side, I just took in a Jacuzzi on trade (I did not sell it) about 8 years old... thing looks perfect other than the cover.

SDOutdoorsman

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 06:15:33 pm »
I am kinda thinking trying the used route to save some money on my first tub while I figure out what I like and if I will even use it as much as I think. I haven’t looked at the bullfrog yet but if it’s in good shape and everything works and they come down on price I might go that route.

Now I am a fairly handy person, I’m a farmer so there is a lot I do diy. With that said are bull frogs easy to work on? My main concern is getting to components, is it just remove a cover and the pump, electrical and all that is right there or is it cut away a lot of insulation involved?

Sam

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 04:07:51 pm »
Bullfrog are super easy to work on.  Everything is in the front equipment compartment.  If it was well taken care of and in good shape I'd say $4k is a good price and I would definitely consider buying it at that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 04:07:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42